Post-Game Talk: Zoinks! Jets win 5-4. Back in a WC spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Play the hot goalie. Let them split the back to back and if one wins and one loses, go with that guy the next game.

He wins, keep him in. He loses, take him out. That's it.

Is the "hot goalie" the one who's 1-2-0 in his last three games with a SV% of .859 and a career average of .sux?

Pavelec's going to cost this team the playoffs yet again.

White Out 403*

Play the hot goalie. Let them split the back to back and if one wins and one loses, go with that guy the next game.

Pavs is the hot goalie now?

jackie-chan-illuminati.jpg

Yes, his performance last 3 games have indeed been hot. Hot piles of turd.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Is the "hot goalie" the one who's 1-2-0 in his last three games with a SV% of .859 and a career average of .sux?

Pavelec's going to cost this team the playoffs yet again.

It looks to me that he didn't say who the hot goalie would be just that whatever one looks better will be the one that gets the next start after splitting the back to back.

He wasn't pulling for Pavelec as far as I can tell.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Hope Enstrom is ok too of course. However it wasn't just one bad play or brain fart and not just one game.

He needs to not make those plays and not nearly as repetitively as he has been doing imo .

When more is expected of you , you need to deliver , especially when it matters . A couple of really poor plays today that cost us . Let's hope those are done for the most part and he comes back and leaves those glaring errors behind him .

Aren't you a Byfuglien booster, though? You can't seriously be saying that Enstrom's defensive errors are even in the same stratosphere as Buffs? Even when Enstrom makes mistakes it's mistakes in execution, not taking shifts off or lack of defensive hockey sense.

If Byfuglien played in his own zone like Enstrom he'd win the Norris every year.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Just got back from game, sat behind Pavs for 2 periods, yikes that was his worst game since his 3 wks break. That first goal Pavs was at the front of the crease when the puck was behind the net, should have been back to the post totally his fault, another time the puck was beside him for 3 second s, we were all yelling cover the puck. It was like he was in a haze, heard he was sick this we should have let Hutch play but he is to afraid of Hutch having a hot game.

Totally his fault?

Not anything to do with Trouba letting a SEDIN do what he wanted in front of the net?

There are 3 players you HAVE to watch on that team, the twins and Vrbata. Everyone knows the Sedins do that give and go play yet the Jets seemed unable to predict it several times. You want to shut them down you make sure whatever Sedin has the puck, the other one is well covered, simple as that.

I am no Pavelec booster, he was atrocious yesterday (though he did make his trademark few big saves), but the defense in this game was laughable.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Wading in the Pavs vs. Hutch debate- Pavs did not play well yesterday but he did make just enough key saves to keep us alive.

Do you think management will move to Hutch?? A rookie who seemingly has lost his mojo?? Is it coincidence that when the games got intense after the ASB Hutch was not Clutch?

For me - the average fan- I would start Hutch on the 2nd of the back to back and look for lightning in a bottle.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I'm almost certain that Maurice will split the goalies for the back-to-back against the Wild and Blues. I'm not sure who he might start against the Wild, but I'm sure he won't try his luck with Pavs for all 4 games. He needs a fresh goalie for the final game against the Flames.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
:shakehead OMG. This is so ridiculous its embarrassing. Look, anyone who thinks the whole Kane situation was about a track suit getting worn to a team meeting needs to give their head a good long shake. That was the culmination of several years of issues. Kane is gone and it wasn't about a track suit. Get on with life...and Buff is a way better player regardless of him doing something stupid and getting suspended.

Now, tonight...wow this is a terrifying ride we're on here boys. I don't know how its going to end, but I'm scairt!

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. Byfuglien pretty much lost us that game by getting walked on the winner AND taking a penalty with 39 seconds left. THEN he gets suspended for the rest of the regular season.

I can't think of times looking back when I can say "Kane lost us that game". Sure there were probably a couple but anyone thinking that what Buff did wasn't far more detrimental to our on ice success than what Kane was reportedly doing is missing the big picture.

Up for debate? Sure. Ridiculous? Nah.

jetkarma*

Aren't you a Byfuglien booster, though? You can't seriously be saying that Enstrom's defensive errors are even in the same stratosphere as Buffs? Even when Enstrom makes mistakes it's mistakes in execution, not taking shifts off or lack of defensive hockey sense.

If Byfuglien played in his own zone like Enstrom he'd win the Norris every year.

I like Buff and think he brings dimensions no other player does. He indeed does have challenges.

I think Enstrom is at times a very good player too , but he does make mistakes as do all players , but he seems to be immune to criticism from some . He's made imo some glaring errors lately . The goal yesterday was not good hockey sense was it? Same could be said , if that was Buff , he would have been chastised far more than Enstrom was don't you think?

Agreed if Buff had Toby's positives he would be incredibly elite. We could say the same for many players if we combined them though .

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Sometimes what is "obvious" is not actually true. Read this:
http://jetsnation.ca/2015/3/16/how-worried-should-the-jets-be-about-michael-hutchinson

I have simplified one of Garret's favourite stats on this matter and call it The rule of 15:
In a random 15 game sample, a bad goalie will outperform a good goalie about 15% of the time.

In other words, goalies are 'streaky' and you can't write them off on a small sample size.
People around here should know I am not anti-Pav, but the fact is that he not playing great right now and the Jets need better goaltending to get them into the playoffs. Hutch's career stats, at all levels, including pressure games in the AHL and NHL, are pretty darn good, except for the last 15 games.
Time to give him one more chance.

you don't roll dice and play the odds of randomization when you have this much on the line.
if you want to ride the randomizer, then sure. but in a random 15 game sample, a bad goalie will underperform a good goalie 85% of the time.

if you're looking at sample size, then one can debate which goalie is good vs which is bad. ottawa can do the same with Hammond, who, statistically (career-wise) is the "bad goalie" and is putting up (arguably) unsustainable NHL stats.

or you can do what the Wild are doing and riding their race horse come hell or high water. Dubnyk is getting B2Bs because he's on fire. you're basically suggesting that, hey, give him rest and play the back-up b/c the back-up is bound to have a good game.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
you don't roll dice and play the odds of randomization when you have this much on the line.
if you want to ride the randomizer, then sure. but in a random 15 game sample, a bad goalie will underperform a good goalie 85% of the time.

if you're looking at sample size, then one can debate which goalie is good vs which is bad. ottawa can do the same with Hammond, who, statistically (career-wise) is the "bad goalie" and is putting up (arguably) unsustainable NHL stats.

or you can do what the Wild are doing and riding their race horse come hell or high water. Dubnyk is getting B2Bs because he's on fire. you're basically suggesting that, hey, give him rest and play the back-up b/c the back-up is bound to have a good game.

So you are saying Pavelec is a good goalie?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I like Buff and think he brings dimensions no other player does. He indeed does have challenges.

I think Enstrom is at times a very good player too , but he does make mistakes as do all players , but he seems to be immune to criticism from some . He's made imo some glaring errors lately . The goal yesterday was not good hockey sense was it? Same could be said , if that was Buff , he would have been chastised far more than Enstrom was don't you think?

Agreed if Buff had Toby's positives he would be incredibly elite. We could say the same for many players if we combined them though .

Well, I don't want to wade into the whole court of public opinion on players area, because we are seeing way too much of that around here, but yes, I would agree.

I think there is a reason some players get crapped on when they make a bad play more than others. It's usually because they have a far greater propensity for making those bad plays.

When Enstrom makes a bad play defensively, you cut him slack because his defending is near elite. When a guy like Buff, or Stu make a bad play they get ragged on because they make those mistakes time, and time again.

I'd like to (and I'm sure you would too) talk more about the games, the players, and the plays and strategy within the game than I want to read which poster said what, and what group of posters say what about whom - or support player X or bash player Y.

It's not really why we are here, and it's against the Jets forum rules. We are getting back into talking about posters ad nauseum around here and we are going to have to start using thread bans and more to get away from that. I bet at least a third of the posts in this PGT are talking about posters and what they are saying about players or the game (ooohh you'd think we'd have lost)etc, as opposed to the actual game.

Posters can help by reporting posts they think violate the rules, but especially USING THE IGNORE function on posters that take away from their enjoyment on the boards.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
He also made some big saves , that covered the backs of other players.

He wasn't perfect , he wasn't really good , but he was not nearly as bad as SOME are making him out to be.

Sorry Karma I hardly ever disagree with most of your posts,but this time I have to. Pavs has played like an nhl goaltender since he had 3 wks off, but last night was a disaster. I sat behind him for 2 periods and he was lost all night, could not track the puck out of position. One time the puk was behind the the net and he was at the top of the crease and not back at post, if he would have back up he would have bumped into the Vancouver player behind him in the crease and drawn a penalty or at least got the goal called off. Another time the puck sat beside him for 3 seconds and he could not see it. We were all yelling for him to cover it up. Most goals were on him this night. Like I said he has not really had any bad goals since the Blues game until last night. If he was sick he should not have played. I hope Pavs go's back to playing the way he was. Hutch will get one of the back to backs.

Awesometrax

Mar 15, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Considering how Hutch has been very good against Minnesota this year and Pavs was great the last two games he played against St. Louis (red line goal notwithstanding), starting Hutch tomorrow is the right move IMO.

jetkarma*

Sorry Karma I hardly ever disagree with most of your posts,but this time I have to. Pavs has played like an nhl goaltender since he had 3 wks off, but last night was a disaster. I sat behind him for 2 periods and he was lost all night, could not track the puck out of position. One time the puk was behind the the net and he was at the top of the crease and not back at post, if he would have back up he would have bumped into the Vancouver player behind him in the crease and drawn a penalty or at least got the goal called off. Another time the puck sat beside him for 3 seconds and he could not see it. We were all yelling for him to cover it up. Most goals were on him this night. Like I said he has not really had any bad goals since the Blues game until last night. If he was sick he should not have played. I hope Pavs go's back to playing the way he was. Hutch will get one of the back to backs.

Fair comments , but he also made a few real big saves and was not supportted by any semblance of good defensive play for the most part.

The tic tac toe passing goal couldn't be blamed on him and the late goal by Burrows was more of an error and poor play by Enstrom imo , so while I don't think he was good by any means ( as I stated ) I also don't think he was as atrocious as some made him out to be.

All relative I suppose , he should have been better , but so should have a lot of players , and he did make some saves that were labeled.

Not a fan of his per se , nor am I of Hutch for that matter , I want better , more consistent goal tending like everyone else. I see flaws from both of them , if you were at the game and positioned as you were I take what you say for his performance but a couple of the goals are hard to lay on him as solely his fault is more my point.

Also I don't think the Chicago game , that loss shouldn't rest on his shoulders.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I don't think it's ridiculous at all. Byfuglien pretty much lost us that game by getting walked on the winner AND taking a penalty with 39 seconds left. THEN he gets suspended for the rest of the regular season.

I can't think of times looking back when I can say "Kane lost us that game". Sure there were probably a couple but anyone thinking that what Buff did wasn't far more detrimental to our on ice success than what Kane was reportedly doing is missing the big picture.

Up for debate? Sure. Ridiculous? Nah.

THat's not the ridiculous bit. The ridiculous bit is the notion that Buff conducted a one man campaign that got Kane run out of town because he wore a track suit and now every time Buff screws up we need to go back and make some sort of reference that draws a relationship between his on ice performance and Kane's. Suggesting Buff did a stupid thing by cross-checking a player and getting suspended isn't ridiculous at all. Adding some comment like "but at least he didn't wear a track suit to a meeting" is ridiculous.

Kane took his share of dumb penalties though...and was also more or less healthy scratched once or twice too.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Fair comments , but he also made a few real big saves ...

why do people keep saying this? He made a few really big saves. Fantastic. I would hope that an NHL goaltender would be able to make a few really big saves during every single game he played. Even the worst goaltenders in the history of pro hockey made some really good saves during any given game. Ondrej Pavelec gives up one or 2 weak goals every 3 or so games he plays over what a really good NHL goalie gives up. That's the difference between him and "elite." One or Two shots that get past him every 3 or 4 games. He can make 91 really good saves out of every 100 shots he faces and still suck because a really good goalie in this league makes 92.5 really good saves out of a hundred shots. Thats the reality of it. So the fact that he makes some really good saves in any given game is meaningless if he still gives up that one goal with 3 minutes left that loses the game.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
why do people keep saying this? He made a few really big saves. Fantastic. I would hope that an NHL goaltender would be able to make a few really big saves during every single game he played. Even the worst goaltenders in the history of pro hockey made some really good saves during any given game. Ondrej Pavelec gives up one or 2 weak goals every 3 or so games he plays over what a really good NHL goalie gives up. That's the difference between him and "elite." One or Two shots that get past him every 3 or 4 games. He can make 91 really good saves out of every 100 shots he faces and still suck because a really good goalie in this league makes 92.5 really good saves out of a hundred shots. Thats the reality of it. So the fact that he makes some really good saves in any given game is meaningless if he still gives up that one goal with 3 minutes left that loses the game.

This is purely anecdotal, but did anyone else watch the "Top 10 NHL Goaltender saves" on TSN?

Most of the list was made of backups or tweeners. I bet there is a reason for that. The Truly great make every save look easy.

jetkarma*

A matter of balance. That's all.

The late goal he gave up yesterday , in your opinion was he singularly to blame for it ? Was it mostly on him ?

So the fact that he makes some really good saves in any given game is meaningless if he still gives up that one goal with 3 minutes left that loses the game.

If said goal is a poor one , a soft one , his fault I can see this comment , if it isn't though then the comment is not nearly as valid is it? Of course you want him or any goalie to not allow that goal , but if that goal is not on him or any other goalie in that situation , then making really good saves isn't meaningless.

Too much is being made of this imo , he wasn't good as I mentioned . It wasn't like had stellar team defence in front of him either. Sometimes making a big save at the right time matters , all that was pointed out was he made at least one of those yesterday .

The option we currently have is to start Hutch who has given up soft goals regularly in his last stretch . When he wasn't making that such a pattern he got the call over Pavs. His play changed that .

On a side note , was the loss to the Hawks mostly on Pavs in your opinion , not being snippy , curious to know your position on that .

jetkarma*

This is purely anecdotal, but did anyone else watch the "Top 10 NHL Goaltender saves" on TSN?

Most of the list was made of backups or tweeners. I bet there is a reason for that. The Truly great make every save look easy.

Hasek and Tony O would disagree with that , although there is a point to being compact and calm and effective.

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Hate to veer off topic, but I happened to re-watch the game today. Anyone notice that little slash Bieksa gave Perreault in the 3rd? At the time I thought Machoo was playing it up a little (it didn't look like much), but upon re-watch, I noticed that the slash was on his ankle... which was the reason why he was out for like 6 weeks, no? Dirty play there.

Anywho, yes it was a little too defensively loose of a game for my liking (given the necessity for 2 points for the Jets + how they lost the previous couple + the ways in which they lost to Vancouver previously), and the first 2 goals involved some seriously disoriented goaltending, but we really could have changed the optics of everything if the PP wasn't so bad. Even just one PP goal (out of 4 chances) could have given us more breathing room, especially the one that we got right after Stempy's 2nd goal. 6-3 with 9 to go would have likely meant a much less stick-clingy finish. It's not even like we fed off the advantage in a way that continued on after it was over, instead they all just seemed like total momentum drainers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->