Zinger

Farmerjetsfan

Dec 26, 2018
I was just wondering why you never hear of Zinger getting any mention for interview as a GM anywhere? He ran the moose quite successfully before the jets came back, still has kept them fairly competitive since then. He also has credentials of being the assistant GM on one of the power house nhl teams that has done one of the best draft and developed programs in a long time.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I was just wondering why you never hear of Zinger getting any mention for interview as a GM anywhere? He ran the moose quite successfully before the jets came back, still has kept them fairly competitive since then. He also has credentials of being the assistant GM on one of the power house nhl teams that has done one of the best draft and developed programs in a long time.

I was just thinking what an excellent choice he would be to take over the Oilers, and I hope he gets the chance. ;)

1430MaroonsRoad

Sep 14, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
My understanding is he’s very comfortable
in Winnipeg and is not very interested in leaving. I think he received some interest from NHL clubs to join their management teams back in his Moose 1.0 days, but those conversations were rather brief.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
There's also a story out there that he was offered a higher position in the Jets in 2011--possibly GM itself--and turned it down.

I don't know how true that is, though.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
But hes just an equipment manager
Nice hair though... ;)

cheisinger.jpg

In all seriousness and FWIW, the unsubstantiated rumblings I've heard around town over the last few years is that Zinger is 100% happy in his current role and location.

Reactions: sipowicz

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Friedmen mentioned him as a possible replacement in EDM.

I'm pretty sure he's super loyal to WPG. I'd be surprised to see him leave.

Reactions: sipowicz

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He's too loyal to his roots in Winnipeg. Cheveldayoff will always be more likely to leave than him, which says tons because I bet Chevy wants to stay in Winnipeg, unless maybe he was offered Babcock money from another team.

Reactions: GNP

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
My understanding is he’s very comfortable
in Winnipeg and is not very interested in leaving
. I think he received some interest from NHL clubs to join their management teams back in his Moose 1.0 days, but those conversations were rather brief.

Friedmen mentioned him as a possible replacement in EDM.

I'm pretty sure he's super loyal to WPG. I'd be surprised to see him leave.

Nice to see such loyalty to the city and organization. It's rather rare these days.

:jets

Reactions: JohnStaymoose

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
There's also a story out there that he was offered a higher position in the Jets in 2011--possibly GM itself--and turned it down.

I don't know how true that is, though.

Well since Zinger was Moose GMN, and is now Assistant GM, about the only higher up position would be GM itself.

I have absolutely no evidence, but given Chipman's general sense of loyalty, and remembering he hired Moose coach Claude Noel to be the first Jets coach, I would have expected that the Jets G< job was his for the choosing in 2011 if he had wanted it.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Nice to see such loyalty to the city and organization. It's rather rare these days.

:jets
Yes it is, and perhaps it is also about a comfortable living environment both financially and personally. Moving to a new city with a lot more responsibility and stress might not be that attractive even though the money might be great. Sometimes being in a place you like and being around folks you like is enough if you already make sufficient money to do the things you find important.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Craig seems like he is probably working his dream job now and pretty content. I doubt Chevy would leave either, never underestimate how rare it is to work for a mentally stable patient NHL owner.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
He looks pretty comfortable here and he and Chevy can work from the lake on July 1 when other teams are over paying for players.:laugh:

Wears a few hats with the Jets: Senior Vice-President & Director, Hockey Operations/Assistant General Manager. General Manager of the Manitoba Moose.

Reactions: ps241

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
It’s more than rumblings. Pretty sure it was reported he didn’t accept an offered larger role (GM) when the team came back, and supported the hiring of Chevy.

Reactions: JetsFan815

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
This is what he said back in the Moose 1.0 days.

Journal: How did you end up becoming general manager of the Manitoba Moose?

Heisinger: I ended up being the equipment guy for the Moose for the first three years. Randy Carlyle was the Assistant Coach and the Assistant G.M. the first year. Jean Perron was the Head Coach for the first little while, then got fired. Randy (Carlyle) took over head coaching duties and I sort of filled in with day-to-day G.M. duties and was still the equipment guy. After a couple more years of that, Randy thought it would be best that I switched jobs completely. I wasn't really crazy about that because I loved being the equipment guy. To this day I love being the equipment guy, I'd do that job anytime. It's a very important job and it's a great job. I decided to make the switch with the promise that I could have my old job back if I didn't like it.

JMO, but I think he a reluctant GM (Moose ) today doing the job because he was asked to do it and because of loyalty to TNSE. But I don't see him as having any ambitions to become centre stage for an NHL team.

Last edited:

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
Still waiting on an AHL championship....
EDIT: Just to be clear, I think he's a great person. But not even one Calder Cup?

jetdiehard

Jun 14, 2014
Winnipeg
Zinger is very good with joe public.
I have seen him at the ice plex and always has time to chat with everybody.
Just a down to earth nice guy.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Guy can’t even build a winning AHL team and he deserves to be in the NHL?

Still waiting on an AHL championship....
EDIT: Just to be clear, I think he's a great person. But not even one Calder Cup?

In 2008-09 the Moose lost the Calder Cup Final 4-2 to Hersey. Their leading point guys were 32 year old Jason Krog ( 30G - 56A ) and 27 year old Jason Jaffray ( 23G - 26A ) and they were veterans basically winding down their careers. Compare that to today's team which is mostly young guys trying to move up to the NHL.

The Moose of old were built to try and win the AHL even with Vancouver calling a lot of the shots. The Moose were allowed to go after independent older players that could produce.

The current Moose are built to develop hockey players for the Jets. Winning a championship would be a bonus, but that's not the priority of Zinger and the Jets. And probably one of the contributors to the team seeing lower attendance.

Last edited:

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I came to the site today specifically to start a thread about how interesting I thought it was that Friedman floated Heisinger as a candidate for the Edmonton job.

31 Thoughts: What’s next for Oilers after Chiarelli firing - Sportsnet.ca

"I don’t know if Winnipeg assistant GM Craig Heisinger desires the job, but if I’m Nicholson, I’m asking."

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
If Zinger lands in Edmonton, you can count on the Oilers having a bunch of GST-type guys, so that's good.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Zinger's heart is in Winnipeg and probably has the Moose GM job until he tells Chipman he's bored of it.

He's also 200% involved in the Project 11 initiative and I doubt he'll take a job in another city to not have that within arm's reach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad