Zigmund Pálffy for the HHOF?

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
You're wrong. And probably born this millennium.

Bure 709 games - 779 points
Pálffy 684 games - 713 points

Same stats and longevity. If you let one in, you must let the other.

Both played same era. Pálffy palyed on terrible teams and bad markets, that’s all.

Enough said.

If I was born this millennium, I would not have gotten a chance to watch Pálffy. Bad at math?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I always liked him as a player and think he has a solid case. He was never in contention for best player in the league but he definitely was a franchise player in the next tier just below that.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
684 games and 713 points, including four top ten finishes in points (also top five in goals in two out of those four years). Good numbers with the national team including a WHC gold. Amassed his points right through the dead puck era - imagine how he would have looked like after the lockout?

now we are getting silly here with these threads

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
You’re wrong. He was a top player. He just played on some of the weakest teams, that’s why he went unnoticed. Skill wise and stats wise, he was the same as Bure.

Palffy was a top tier scorer and talent wise a HHOF candidate, but so was Mogilny. Not everyone can be in the HHOF. Someone is always close to someone else. Palffy didn’t distinguish himself like Bure. Bure led the league in goals three times and played on an even suckier team in Florida two of those years. He also had a beast mode playoffs in 1994 where he had a 16 game point streak and rolled over Dallas & Toronto. He also was voted best forward in a best on best Olympics (in front of Selänne, Forsberg, Jagr, Lindros, Sakic, etc.) where he had an iconic game against Finland. Palffy never had any such moments.

I’m a big Bure fan but I would rather take him out of the HHOF than induct everyone who statistically appears to be close. What’s the point of having a HHOF if everyone who posted good numbers gonna get in?

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
Palffy was a top tier scorer and talent wise a HHOF candidate, but so was Mogilny. Not everyone can be in the HHOF. Someone is always close to someone else. Palffy didn’t distinguish himself like Bure. Bure led the league in goals three times and played on an even suckier team in Florida two of those years. He also had a beast mode playoffs in 1994 where he had a 16 game point streak and rolled over Dallas & Toronto. He also was voted best forward in a best on best Olympics (in front of Selänne, Forsberg, Jagr, Lindros, Sakic, etc.) where he had an iconic game against Finland. Palffy never had any such moments.

I’m a big Bure fan but I would rather take him out of the HHOF than induct everyone who statistically appears to be close. What’s the point of having a HHOF if everyone who posted good numbers gonna get in?

Pálffy’s Islanders and Kings were much worse than Bure’s panthers.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
No. Go look at the standings for each of those respective years, and they tell a difference story than you’re trying to narrate.

Palffy made the playoffs three straight years with the Kings. Bure made the playoffs once with the Panthers. Those early Canucks teams Bure played on though were a lot better than the Islanders teams Palffy played on, but it wasn’t like he played on a stacked contender. His best regular linemate was Greg Adams.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
Palffy made the playoffs three straight years with the Kings. Bure made the playoffs once with the Panthers. Those early Canucks teams Bure played on though were a lot better than the Islanders teams Palffy played on, but it wasn’t like he played on a stacked contender. His best regular linemate was Greg Adams.

The stats and evident skill set (if you objectively) watched both players are extremely similar, albeit one was better at scoring and the other better at playmaking. Both have identical career stats and top tier skill, in the same era.

Either you let one in the Hall, or none.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
No. Go look at the standings for each of those respective years, and they tell a difference story than you’re trying to narrate.
Bure got into 4 total playoff games for the Panthers, playing in a terrible division where one mediocre team always got a top-3 seed. Palffy's got into 24 playoff games with the Kings, in a conference where every middle-of-the-pack team (mainly the Kings, Coyotes, Ducks, Oilers, and then the up-and-coming Canucks and Sharks) had to go through the Wings or Avalanche. The mid-90s Islanders were the least successful team of the 3, but the Panthers were significantly worse than the Kings at the time.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
From worst to best

1) Palffys Isles
2) Bures Panthers
3) Palffys Kings
4) Bures Canucks

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Was he ever considered top ten in the league? No. Top twenty? No.

Who says he was never considered a top 20 player in the League?

Even if he wasn't, who says he wasn't a top 20 player who didn't get enough attention because of the teams he played for/markets he played in?

He was electrifying and an offensive catalyst. People here love Theo Fleury.. was he really that much better than Palffy when they were actually in the line-up? Some think he should get into the HHOF.

I already said that Palffy's career was too short for him to be a HHOF'er, but I do think he was an elite forward talent-wise during his best seasons. I don't see why he wasn't a top 20 forward or player at his best.

And Ziggy was clearly on another level than Slava Kozlov and f'n Miro Satan.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Ziggy Plaffy dragged Travis Green into a 70 points player. He was incredibly elite. In 97 and 98 he was definitely a top-10 player in the league.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Ziggy Plaffy dragged Travis Green into a 70 points player. He was incredibly elite. In 97 and 98 he was definitely a top-10 player in the league.

As someone who watched Green play when he played for TOR, I can attest to the fact that this feat is quite remarkable.

He also had that season where he scored 42 more points than the next highest scorer on his team in LA.

Satan scored 22 more points than Palffy in the NHL... in 366 more games! They are not remotely comparable.

Kozlov had all kinds of help offensively in DET. He finished with 140 more points than Palffy in almost 500 more games (498).

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
As someone who watched Green play when he played for TOR, I can attest to the fact that this feat is quite remarkable.

He also had that season where he scored 42 more points than the next highest scorer on his team in LA.

Satan scored 22 more points than Palffy in the NHL... in 366 more games! They are not remotely comparable.

Kozlov had all kinds of help offensively in DET. He finished with 140 more points than Palffy in almost 500 more games (498).

Though Kozlovs intangibles is not all offense.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
One of my all-time favourite players, for sure. But I don't think he's quite there. If he could have turned a couple of those high-40s goal seasons into nice round 50s, maybe that would have helped his case but I feel like he was about two good seasons away from having a solid shot at enshrinement. Even just playing with Crosby a bit longer and getting the 'mentor' tag might have helped him. He was still a PPG when he retired.

Memorable player for sure though, at least for me.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Short career. Never scored 50. Never got 100 points.
Bure scored 50+ five times and as a result has over 100 more goals than Palffy. Also two 100+ point seasons under his belt. Did Palffy ever even finish top 5 in scoring (points)?

Bure is a lock and Palffy is just on the outside for me. One is THE goal scorer of his era, and the other was a consistently very good player who was never considered a top 5 player in the NHL at any point in his career.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Bure scored 50+ five times and as a result has over 100 more goals than Palffy. Also two 100+ point seasons under his belt. Did Palffy ever even finish top 5 in scoring (points)?

Palffy finished fifth in points in '98. He finished fifth in goals twice.

100 points in, say, 1987 isn't the same as 100 points in 1998.

If you adjust for era, he had a 100 point season in '98 and he had 97 adjusted points in '01 in 73 games, 95 adjusted points in '03 in 76 games and 94 adjusted points in '97 in 80 games.

Ziggy Palffy Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Do you know what Andreychuk's four best seasons work out to in terms of adjusted of points?

90, 80, 80, 69.

That would make sense since Andreychuk finished in the top ten for points once in his career while Palffy finished in the top ten for points four times.

I'm not trying to argue that because Andreychuk was inducted, Palffy should be as well, but I want people to realize that Palffy was a FAR superior talent.

Andreychuk played a lot longer and his career totals look much more impressive. He also benefited from playing in a higher scoring environment for years and was fortunate to have played with Gilmour when he was at his best.

Last edited:

The Russian Rocket

Nov 18, 2017

Bure is a lock and Palffy is just on the outside for me. One is THE goal scorer of his era, and the other was a consistently very good player who was never considered a top 5 player in the NHL at any point in his career.

Indeed, Bure was the most electrifying player in the NHL in the 90's. IMO the most naturally gifted scorer and skater to ever have played the game; wasn't exactly known for his enthusiasm for practising, mostly just rode purely on his natural gifts. I like Palffy as a player, but he is not even in the same league with Bure talentwise.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Mogilny seems like a fair comparison, the only real difference being Palffy doesn't have that one monster season on his resume that people remember

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
We can't keep using the "He's better than Dave Andreychuk" excuse. Andreychuk does not belong in the HHOF, it is nothing short of a stain. He was never a great player. Palffy at his best is better than Andreychuk at his best but Palffy falls into the category of Rick Martin or Denis Maruk. Impressive point totals, not long enough career, not impactful enough in his prime to make a difference. Only Martin actually played on good teams.

Palffy or Bondra do not belong.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
What is it we are implying with the longevity argument, though? That he couldn't keep it up any longer? Why is it that two more PPG seasons from Palffy would make such a difference? When someone is close to 700 games and afterwards completely shred the Slovak league apart I am not sure what people are insinuating.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
What is it we are implying with the longevity argument, though? That he couldn't keep it up any longer? Why is it that two more PPG seasons from Palffy would make such a difference? When someone is close to 700 games and afterwards completely shred the Slovak league apart I am not sure what people are insinuating.

I don't think the argument is he couldn't, but that he didn't. Fair or not. It is true he totally destroyed the Slovak league in his late 30s, but the Slovak league is not a top league even by European standards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->