Ziggy Palffy

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Gaborik is super underrated. Stuck in a trap system with Minny in his early years and derailed by injuries after he left the Wild. Skill and talent-wise, I'd say it goes Gaborik > Palffy > Hossa. Accomplishment wise, it's definitely the other way around.

Yeah, Gaborik is quite underrated. Seems to have slipped under the radar since he played on the Minnesota Wild. Also, he and Kovalchuk and Heatley who were the millennial wave were kind of overshadowed by the Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin group that came up after the lockout.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i think it depends on how you define talented.

best tools: gabo. the speed, the shot, the size and strength.

the best pure offensive toolbox: palffy. the vision, the playmaking, the moves.

the best overall skillset: easily hossa. most of gaborik's tools, most of palffy's brains, plus defensive abilities they couldn't dream of.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
I forgot Palffy wore the Gretz era sweaters for a game. I'd love to track one of those down. As good a finisher on breakaways as anybody outside of Mario. He would have been lights out in the shootout had it been around in his prime. Palffy was my favourite player when I was younger, along with Lucky Luc. First sweater I bought was a black, silver and purple 33.

That said, he's not a HHOF'er, which seems to be the consensus on this thread anyways. Great talent, fun guy to watch but no shame in being in the 'what-if?' branch of the Hall of Very Good.

ytsur*

Yeah, I agree with this. Palffy was a top calibre scorer but he wasn't really this rare elite player who took over a game on his own and dictated everything.

I'm also not fully on board with this narrative that he was robbed by not playing with super stars. You can say that about a bunch of other players too. Pavel Bure for example never had much of super star linemates. Any winger would probably benefit some from playing with a guy like Peter Forsberg, for example. Both Palffy and Bure were players that could create chances on their own though. They didn't need someone to feed them. And as the top player on those Islanders & Kings teams Palffy probably got all the ice time he wanted.

It's not a given he would have produced a lot more on any other team. What if he ended up on Dallas with Hitchcook's system, shared PP time and rotating lines?

Contradiction?

Never hurts playing with Mike Modano and Jere Lehtinen over Marty MacInnis and Bryan Smolinski.

The supposed extra ice time is meaningless if you don't have teammates talented enough to set you up and convert your own set-ups.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Contradiction?

I don't think I made a contradiction there. I think Bure was a tad better player than Palffy because he had a grittier element to his game, was a better puck rusher and a bit better scorer, and could take over games in more eye-popping fashion. I think they were quite similar though in the sense that they didn't need great linemates to feed off.

Never hurts playing with Mike Modano and Jere Lehtinen over Marty MacInnis and Bryan Smolinski.

There's no guarantees though. You see both Jagr & Selänne got stifled offensively in Washington and San Jose. Some players don't fit in certain milieus.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
With alko mentioning the Rangers thread, I tought this thread about the following LA trade after the Rangers trade was Bettbaned was appropriate to link to on the Kings board. Nice to read the fans reminiscing about one of their former star players. And of course still being mad att Todd Simpson and Gary Bettman 15-20 years later :) :
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1450631&page=2

Some nice goals that I haven´t seen in this thread. The one in post 25 where an rookie Datsyuk hits an LA King with his pass trying to reach Larionov along the boards behind the net (the commentator thinks he´s trying to go middle, that´s not what it seems to me...) is an nice one out of historical content. Even if they where the ones who got scored, it binds a player who played in the Soviet leauge in 1977 to an NHL player in 2016 who will play in the KHL to at least 2018, if injuries doesn´t happen. That´s 41 years of proffesional hockey on dispaly there. Larionov at the time also being 41 y.o. and Datsyuk 23.

And you can also see Datsyuks defensive instincts are already there. Before Smolinski has broken up the play he is heading back home, seeminlgy almost pushing himself away from Philippe Boucher to gain speed :laugh: Datsyuk ain´t far away from breakin up that pass from Smolinski, even if he himself was quite far away from there when Datsyuk himself made the bad pass to start the turn over just a few moments earlier. Speedy Dandenault almost gets an stick on speedy Palffy, but it´s quite impressive that Datsuyk almost can keep up with those two.

And of course, the main man of this thread makes an fantastic move on an prime, albeit not peak, Hasek.

If there was an list to be made off best break away players ever, Palffy in the top 10 wouldn´t surprise me. Few where as good to make room for himself with just rocketing up the ice. And on the top of that, he had that calm in top speed to bury the puck in the net with often a smooth 5-hole or an high back hand after some moves.

Last edited:

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
Still cannot get around the comparables with Richard Martin:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/martiri01.html

Slightly better team, much better positional dominance.

Brian Propp, better teams, more SC finals, fairly similar positional impact.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/p/proppbr01.html

Alex Mogilny, somewhat better teams with better individaul spikes who hung around too long, allowing the shine to fade.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/mogilal01.html

A bit distant from John Leclair with a comparable injury history, lesser playoff awards and honours:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/leclajo01.html

I get confused when people want to compare players.... Statistically or playing style?

Mogilny is a good comparison tho but Ziggy was better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad