Ziggy Palffy

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Wonderful player.

Definitely belongs in the hall of fame.

Superior to Sellanne who had Kariya at the same time.

Palffys prime he had nothing for talent to play with in NYI and the trap was in full force really hurting smaller players.

Palffy deserves to be held in the same breath as another Islander Mike Bossy since they had similar longevity. One played on one of the best teams of all time and one on the worst. Of course Palffy is more a playmaker than sniper like Bossy.

IF Neely is in HOF despite a short career Palffy belongs in there and I'd probably put Markus Naslund in the Hall too.

Ziggy really had nothing going for him no linemates and he played in the worst possible era. If he broke in 10 years earlier depending the team he was on he might have out pointed Gretzky from the late 80s on. They'd be neck and neck if given equal talent to play with.

Remember being amazed at him and Kariya since Ducks and Isles were a couple of the few games I got to go to live as a kid growing up (I remember all my live Bruins games from my childhood.) They were the best player on the ice I can remember from being frustrated and joining the drunk older guys in yelling 'kill him' when he had the puck.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Please stop this b....t.

Chill guy was lights out.

He was a better Kariya (not by a lot) but the same player. No more no less.

Wayne was older by then.

Excellent player.

Few equals (during his prime he was better than Sellanne and never had a superstar linemate.)

The one dimensional argument is bs cause his prime was the dead puck era and his team blew.

Course Sellanne had the better career. But in their prime Ziggy was better. *Noone knocks Bossy just to praise guys who played longer why bash Palffy?

RECsGuy*

In the DPE, Ziggy achieved...

7 PPG seasons (8 overall)

and

(4) Top-10 finishes (in only 7 "full" seasons)

Find me another player from that era that accomplished at least that and ISN'T in the HHOF.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
In the DPE, Ziggy achieved...

7 PPG seasons (8 overall)

and

(4) Top-10 finishes (in only 7 "full" seasons)

Find me another player from that era that accomplished at least that and ISN'T in the HHOF.

i see you are counting injury-abbreviated seasons for PPG. paul kariya also did that.

RECsGuy*

i see you are counting injury-abbreviated seasons for PPG. paul kariya also did that.

Palffy
-played parts of 12 seasons
-played 8 "full" seasons (I define as appearing in at least 75% of a season's games)
-8 career PPG seasons
-7 DPE PPG seasons
-4 Top-10 finishes, all in the the DPE

Kariya
-played parts of 15 seasons
-played 12 "full" seasons
-8 career PPG seasons
-6 DPE PPG seasons
-4 Top-10 finishes, all in the the DPE

Not quite as impressive as Palffy, and yet Kariya is a safe bet to be inducted into the HHOF in the future. Kariya would have my vote.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I liked him as a player, but if Kariya is where the bar is set (most say he has a 50/50 chance at making it in to the HHOF), then I don't see how Palffy makes it.

Palffy's best season was 90pts
Kariya eclipsed that 3 times (108, 101 and 99 in 66 games)

Kariya has won 3 golds and 3 silver medals
Palffy has won 1 gold and 2 bronze'

Kariya has won 2 lady bing trophies
Palffy never won anything

Kariya hit the 50 goal plateau
Palffy did not

So basically, Palffy might have had more consistency than Kariya, but he never had that 6th gear that made him be truly elite.
Was it linemates? Maybe... It is a valid argument, but it doesn't mattet.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Kariya has won 3 golds and 3 silver medals
Palffy has won 1 gold and 2 bronze'

Not exactly fair when one was Canadian and one Slovakian. Agree with the rest of your comparison though - Palffy maintained a per game production that was basically equal to what Kariya maintained over a long time frame, but Kariya peaked higher

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
In that case, Clark Gillies must make your loins throb.

One mistake does not justify another.

If you are talking about the best players to never win a Cup or a major award/all-star selection then there are others ahead of Palffy.

Name them, oh great historian of the game.

Palffy is right up there for sure(top 5) but I wouldn't rank him ahead of Jeremy Roenick on an all-time greats list or Mike Gartner. Palffy was the better player but Gartner had a far better career even accounting for eras I can't possibly rank Palffy ahead and there's something to be said for consistency. I can also see Nicklas Backstrom being regarded ahead of him by the time he's done if not yet already, providing he doesn't win anything. Bondra is right there too, in fact I'm inclined to take rank him ahead because of his goal scoring prowess in the same era

from 94' to 01'
Bondra 554 320 202 522
Palffy 526 265 280 545

Which is not entirely a fair comparison since Palffy was in his 20's during that entire period while Bondra was in his 30's for most of it. He also helped take a mediocre Capitals team to the finals(92 points in 98') which is more than Palffy can say with comparable LA teams(95, 92, 94 points 00' to 02').

Bernie Federko is arguable as well.

Federko? LOL So you're calling Palffy merely a point collector with little else in terms of intangibles, huh? Then what was Bernie? BTW, Federko also finished Top-10 in scoring on 4 occasions, but he played 13 largely full seasons.

Guess the playoffs don't exist for you?
Regular season I'd have Palffy ahead but Federko makes up for that difference in the playoffs.

He was an absolute monster in in 81' & 82'. In the two series wins he posted a combined 21 points in 9 freakin games, that's borderline Gretzky territory. He was also strong in 86' pushing the Flames to 7 while leading the playoffs in scoring and had many other productive series throughout his career. Aside from a strong effort while losing in 02' Palffy didn't stand out in the playoffs with the few chances he got.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
One mistake does not justify another.

Palffy is right up there for sure(top 5) but I wouldn't rank him ahead of Jeremy Roenick on an all-time greats list or Mike Gartner. Palffy was the better player but Gartner had a far better career even accounting for eras I can't possibly rank Palffy ahead and there's something to be said for consistency. I can also see Nicklas Backstrom being regarded ahead of him by the time he's done if not yet already, providing he doesn't win anything. Bondra is right there too, in fact I'm inclined to take rank him ahead because of his goal scoring prowess in the same era

from 94' to 01'
Bondra 554 320 202 522
Palffy 526 265 280 545

Which is not entirely a fair comparison since Palffy was in his 20's during that entire period while Bondra was in his 30's for most of it. He also helped take a mediocre Capitals team to the finals(92 points in 98') which is more than Palffy can say with comparable LA teams(95, 92, 94 points 00' to 02').

Bernie Federko is arguable as well.

Guess the playoffs don't exist for you?
Regular season I'd have Palffy ahead but Federko makes up for that difference in the playoffs.

He was an absolute monster in in 81' & 82'. In the two series wins he posted a combined 21 points in 9 freakin games, that's borderline Gretzky territory. He was also strong in 86' pushing the Flames to 7 while leading the playoffs in scoring and had many other productive series throughout his career. Aside from a strong effort while losing in 02' Palffy didn't stand out in the playoffs with the few chances he got.

Are you angrily rebutting a post from 5 years ago? :laugh:

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I'd rather see Palffy in the HHOF than a few of the relatively recent player inductions

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
Are you angrily rebutting a post from 5 years ago? :laugh:

Anger? Your imagining things. Forceful perhaps, but that's always been my debating style.

And in case you didnt realize it, this is the "history of hockey" section of the site. You know the forum where people discus things that happened decades ago?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Anger? Your imagining things. Forceful perhaps, but that's always been my debating style.

And in case you didnt realize it, this is the "history of hockey" section of the site. You know the forum where people discus things that happened decades ago?

Its seemed very angry especially since it wasnt very accurate. In 98 Bondra didnt have 92 points and he ddidnt drag the team to the finals (not that he was bad) but that was pure team effort with Gonchar suddenly breaking out, Juneau and Oates having a stellar playoffs while Johansson anchored their defense and Kolzig going beast mode.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
Its seemed very angry especially since it wasnt very accurate. In 98 Bondra didnt have 92 points and he ddidnt drag the team to the finals (not that he was bad) but that was pure team effort with Gonchar suddenly breaking out, Juneau and Oates having a stellar playoffs while Johansson anchored their defense and Kolzig going beast mode.

Reading comprehension eludes you I see. I specifically said the Capitals had 92 points and I quote;
a mediocre Capitals team to the finals(92 points in 98')

Which I can assure you is quite accurate indeed;
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/nhl19271998.html

And nowhere did I say he dragged the team to the finals I said he "helped them". But Washington probably doesn't get past Buffalo, the biggest playoff series win in Capitals franchise history, without his efforts. He scored a vital goal in game two, the overtime winner in game 3 to go along with a two goal effort and a huge goal late in game 6 to tie the game and send it into overtime. That, imo, is a significant contribution.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Reading comprehension eludes you I see. I specifically said the Capitals had 92 points and I quote;

Which I can assure you is quite accurate indeed;
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/nhl19271998.html

And nowhere did I say he dragged the team to the finals I said he "helped them". But Washington probably doesn't get past Buffalo, the biggest playoff series win in Capitals franchise history, without his efforts. He scored a vital goal in game two, the overtime winner in game 3 to go along with a two goal effort and a huge goal late in game 6 to tie the game and send it into overtime. That, imo, is a significant contribution.

My apologies I simply misunderstood what you meant. Ofc he helped them. Just as Palffy helped LA vs the Avs in 02. Difference is that LA were weaker. I wasnt even sure where I ranked Palffy compared to Bondra but I think Palffy is ahead. Hes just more of a complete player.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
My apologies I simply misunderstood what you meant. Ofc he helped them. Just as Palffy helped LA vs the Avs in 02. Difference is that LA were weaker. I wasnt even sure where I ranked Palffy compared to Bondra but I think Palffy is ahead. Hes just more of a complete player.

Ok fair enough. I won't disagree that Palffy was the more complete player while Bondra was more one dimensional being the better scorer. Some people feel like he cherry picked a lot but he wasn't bad defensively and did a fair amount of PK'ing. I see them as being very close but I still think Bondra had the slightly better career.

Last edited:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto

I don't think the fact that Ziggy Palffy's career occurred decades ago was ever in question. It's just comical to see someone dig up a 5 year old post and respond to it like they're in the middle of a heated debate.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
I don't think the fact that Ziggy Palffy's career occurred decades ago was ever in question. It's just comical to see someone dig up a 5 year old post and respond to it like they're in the middle of a heated debate.

Like I said this is the history of hockey section and we're discussing people's entire careers here. It doesn't matter which thread you look in, most of them are based on something that occured a long time ago. This is not like one of those middling dime a dozen threads on the main boards that nobody would care to see bumped years later.

I wasn't around for the inital debate but I've been spending some time looking back at specifc players careers recently. Why bother starting a new thread when there already is one on the exact ropic matter I wanted to discuss? And I phrased my response like that to bring people's attention back onto the topic and the debate, obviously it worked. But good for you if you got a laugh out of something as simple as that lol. You can move along now unless you actually have something relevant to add to the topic at hand.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I believe Palffy is somewhat underrated.

He was a very good scorer during the DPE but didn't get all that much attention or recognition because he was buried on an awful Islanders team for a long time.

He consistently produced despite not always playing for very good teams. In '02-03, the guy had 85 points for LA while the team's next highest scoring forward had 38. That's insane.

Do I think he's HOF worthy, though? Not really... or at least a LOT of guys would have to get in first or would also have to be inducted if he was, including Larmer, Middleton, Roenick, Nicholls, John Leclair and Keith Tkachuk. Guys like Bondra, Propp, Damphousse and Brind'Amour would have to seriously be considered as well.

Last edited:

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Anyone know what Palffy is doing in life these days?

Hes living the life in slovakia as far as I know. He an honorary president of a team and at one time he critized the slovakian hockey association. I think he worked with or helped the slovakian national team in some way.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He was HHOF caliber, he happened to play at a bad time for compiling raw totals, and also on bad teams, but skillwise he was in the top 10-15 players of the dead puck era.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
He was HHOF caliber, he happened to play at a bad time for compiling raw totals, and also on bad teams, but skillwise he was in the top 10-15 players of the dead puck era.

He never really had any elite #1 centers feeding him the puck throughout most of his career until the Kings acquired Jason Allison, and that tandem didn't last long due to injuries. Same with his stint in Pittsburgh. A shame too because he may have been able to post some ridiculous numbers if he were to remain healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad