Confirmed with Link: Zibanejad, 2nd to NYR for Brassard, 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Basically, spin our wheels with guys like Zibanejad for the next half dozen years or try to make something happen for the next 3 years.

I think this is a bit of a misconception with this trade. Despite being younger, would Ottawa have been able to keep Zibanejad long term?

Looking at Ottawa's salary structure before this trade, in the next few years one of the younger players is going to have to go. There isn't enough cap space let alone salary room to keep everybody. Zibanejad will have arbitration rights after his current contract expires and will only have 3 RFA years left. With this in mind, would Ottawa really be in a position to commit 5+ long term to Zibanejad next year? Or would they possibly get taken to arbitration and try to get him as cheap as possible in the short term while ignoring the long term consequences of losing him? If they sign him long term for 5+, which of Hoffman, Stone, Ceci, etc gets moved to make room? Will the return be better than Brassard?

I'm not saying for sure Zibanejad wouldn't have been locked up long term, but I think the idea that Ottawa traded 6-8 years of Zibanejad for 3 of Brassard is probably not true when you look at Ottawa's salary structure.

This isn't to say the Rangers won't be signing Zibanejad long term. So it is something that feeds into the win-win nature of the deal. Where being a cap team, if the are able to dump Nash or buy Nash out, the Rangers could probably fit in Zibanejad long term for a similar cap hit to what Brassard had. Where as I am not so sure Ottawa would have been able to sign him long term, and Brassard is cheaper dollar wise than Zibanejad should be.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Agreed.

Hell, we don't even know if the new coaching staff will be a 'fit' with the roster. We don't even know if Dorion has what it takes to be a GM. Everything is up in the air right now.

I guess it's all perspective. We're in an area of massive risk right now. A lot of things could go right...a lot of things could turn into disasters....or we might get a weird mix and stay exactly where we are now in bubbleland.

I was really optimistic a month or two ago....but I dunno. The draft, the coaching hires and this trade.....so much change in such little time. I don't know what to think.

What was wrong with our draft and coaching hires?

I'll leave the trade alone as opinions won't be changed until we see the improved top 6.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Look, I think we clearly lost the asset management game in this trade. I would have slammed it if it was offered on the trade board. This trade is more in the vein of a trade deadline deal that a team will make to push forward. But this team is making a push. I'm still pretty euphoric after the Phaneuf deal. I want to see where this ride takes me.

Ottawa is clearly making a push forward. Are they going to be good enough to win a Cup? Nope, the budget restrictions/ lack of tank rebuild will ensure that never happens. Is it possible that we'll be better in the next 3 seasons than at any time in the next 10 years with Zibanejad. I'd say that's pretty likely. EK is peaking now. The depth around him is good and cheap. IMO, while we gave up a lot, this move puts us a lot closer to making some noise in the playoffs (2nd or 3rd round). That's our Cup until the financial situation changes and I accept that.

Zibanejad instead of Brassard the next 3 seasons. We need to acknowledge the fact that while Zibby is young and talented, he's not a very a good center. If we didn't have $7M locked into Ryan, we would have moved him over by now and gotten another top-6 center. Brassard is a center and a pretty good one. Even if he doesn't produce any more than Zibanejad does, he could help us more by making Ryan better, improving our PP and helping our defense by being more patient in the offensive zone. Plus, once we get to the playoffs; he has a history of coming up big in the postseason that Zibanejad does not yet have.

I'm on the fence about the deal. We gave up a lot. But it's a signal that the team doesn't just expect to barely make the playoffs and be out in the first round. This management team expects us to start winning rounds and will do whatever it takes to achieve within the strict confines of the budget imposed on them.

Basically, spin our wheels with guys like Zibanejad for the next half dozen years or try to make something happen for the next 3 years.

Contracts... Zibanejad is a UFA in the same 3 years as Brassard, nothing will change that. Maybe we re-sign Brassard and let Zibanejad go. Maybe we sign Zibanejad and they sign Brassard. Maybe Brassard and Zibanejad retire, get married, move to Vermont and open a bed and breakfast. Who knows.

Zibby's RFA deal? Zibby will have 3 seasons around 50 points. He will want to get paid. Bridge deals typically go to players with a 1 year track record. He'll cost closer to $5M.

Whole post sums up my feelings on this deal, with the bold being the less talked about important part. Not only does this move improve the center postition, it improves the wingers+ (Ryan especially = huge). The effect could be a new improved center and winger.(yes, and pp, and team, etc.)

The only thing I don't agree with here is......"Are they going to be good enough to win a Cup? Nope,..."
I know the odds are not good but we will have a chance to win the cup and our chances now are substantially improved. I'm not saying ottawa is a favorite, but I am going to believe that it's well possible. Our lineup is good enough to win a cup. Again it's not the best lineup in the league, but that doesn't mean they can't combine some extra effort with luck and coaching and bring one home. Surprises happen all the time in the NHL.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think anyone who states that this team is simply not good enough to win a Cup is out to lunch.

Winning a Cup is mostly luck and injuries.

If this team is good enough to have most of is believe we will make the playoffs then it can win the Cup.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think anyone who states that this team is simply not good enough to win a Cup is out to lunch.

If this team is good enough to have most of is believe we will make the playoffs then it can win the Cup.
Pretty much the ,healthiest team is usually the winner:nod:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Teams that have won the cup in a recent years have been powerhouses. Pittsburgh, Chicago x3, LA x2, Detroit, Boston etc... outside of NJ in 2012, all the teams who have met the cup winner in the final have also been top teams in the league.

Let's wait until we can make the playoffs on a consistent basis before calling the Sens a potential cup winner. We still have a long way to go.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Teams that have won the cup in a recent years have been powerhouses. Pittsburgh, Chicago x3, LA x2, Detroit, Boston etc... outside of NJ in 2012, all the teams who have met the cup winner in the final have also been top teams in the league.

Let's wait until we can make the playoffs on a consistent basis before calling the Sens a potential cup winner. We still have a long way to go.

I wouldn't say that Pittsburgh and San Jose powerhouses last year. They we're still good teams but they got red hot at the right time for a run (a bit earlier in Pittsburgh's case).

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I wouldn't say that Pittsburgh and San Jose powerhouses last year. They we're still good teams but they got red hot at the right time for a run (a bit earlier in Pittsburgh's case).

Pittsburgh 48W
SanJose 46W

When was the last time Ottawa won 45+ games?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Pittsburgh was the best team in the league after they made their coaching change. Looking back, was actually quite surprising more people didn't take them seriously as a cup contender.

Sharks also were one of the best teams in the league after a bad start. A quarter way through the season it looked like they were going to be giving a top 10 pick to the Bruins, and then they turned it on and were one of the best teams in the league in the last 3/4 of the season.

And if you look at both of their rosters, both teams have rosters that far exceed ours in talent. Penguins have two of the best centers in the league, Sharks have three #1 centers, and we don't have one center that can match up favorably against those guys. Both teams have #1 D (Sharks have two), and above average #1 goaltenders. They are a tier above this team.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Maybe to be a playoff team... But I'm talking elite

This team is far from being considered an elite team. On paper it looks like they have the ability to make it into the playoffs, and depending on how they got there/how they have gelled, they may upset a higher seed to make it past the first round. The Pesky guys are still with the team, with more added pesks in Brassard and Kelly who are playoff performers.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Sens will be a pleasant surprise next year. They have some really good pieces throughout the roster

Oct 10, 2010

Luck? Nah, you're either good enough or you aren't.

people who think this team has a chance to win it all ( currently constructed) are the ones out to lunch.

Get real for goodness sake.

We just aren't there yet.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
How are we not there yet? Did you see the roster of the Blues? Did you see the Pens D? Did you see the Sharks depth aside of Thornton, Couture and Pavelski? Do you see how similar we are to the Bolts? (they're the only team I feel is deeper than us at all positions)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Luck? Nah, you're either good enough or you aren't.

people who think this team has a chance to win it all ( currently constructed) are the ones out to lunch.

Get real for goodness sake.

We just aren't there yet.

You can make a case that the difference between Pittsburgh and SJ going to the finals instead of Stl/Dal and Was was a bit of luck, be it because of matchups, or general health, but it's not like with a bit of luck there was any chance of there being a Det Wild final.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
The coaching has to click, and we have to avoid the injury bug, but we do have a team that can win a round or four in the playoffs. We also have a team that could be so disjointed on the ice and have a frustrated coaching staff, and be debating whether to fire them or to give them a 2nd year. That's just sports. We're far from the top team in the East. But we have the pieces to let talent and smarts get us there. Besides having a dynasty team, that's all you can ask for.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can't see this team winning the Cup.

At least until this team can play some semblance of team defence.

I'll be happy with a playoff berth and some strides in our standings, special teams, GA and SA, and hopefully a competitive playoff series or two.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What was wrong with our draft and coaching hires?

I'll leave the trade alone as opinions won't be changed until we see the improved top 6.

Not saying the draft was wrong...but a definite change in philosophy. We usually don't take such a risky boom/bust guy with such an early pick.

Been a ton of changes with the organization this summer. It's a lot to process.

Senator Blutarsky

I'll take the NHL for $2,000 Alex
Apr 18, 2007
Ottawa
Trade makes sense for both teams imo, but I like it for us. Makes us instantly better, and Brassard should be good for the rest of his contract, until White/Brown can step in.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Not saying the draft was wrong...but a definite change in philosophy. We usually don't take such a risky boom/bust guy with such an early pick.

Been a ton of changes with the organization this summer. It's a lot to process.

Ottawa hasn't really had any picks as high as 11 lately.

Wasn't Cowen considered a risky boom/bust pick because of his injuries? Wasn't Zibanejad also considered to be a bit of a risk at 6 when Couturier was still on the board?

Couldn't it also be argued that at the time, White at 21 was a bit risky?

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
Ottawa hasn't really had any picks as high as 11 lately.

Wasn't Cowen considered a risky boom/bust pick because of his injuries? Wasn't Zibanejad also considered to be a bit of a risk at 6 when Couturier was still on the board?

Couldn't it also be argued that at the time, White at 21 was a bit risky?

I wouldn't think a defensive d-man could be considered a boom/bust pick. I could see the argument for Zibanejad though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad