Zherdev vs. Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancingtree

May 9, 2003
So-Cal
Visit site
Malkin will probably be a better two-way player, but I think Zherdev is the better player offensively. 34 points in 57 games as a rookie is pretty impressive. Plus, Zherdev did great in the Russia league during the lock-out.

Overall, I would take Zherdev.

jacketracket*

RMU2 said:
A lot of CBJ fans were saying in a trade proposal they'd rather have Zherdev than Malkin. Who does everyone think will be the better player?
The Trade Proposal in Question said:
To PIT:
N. Zherdev
R. Klesla
M. Denis
1st Round Pick* (maybe not)

To CBJ:
E. Malkin
K. Beech
N. Welch
2nd Round Pick

i'd swing this

"A lot of CBJ fans ..."?

I count two who argued that they would rather keep Zherdev, over Malkin. And that certainly isn't an unreasonable position to take, at this juncture, as we've seen what Z can do in the NHL in only half a season and with little ice time prior to arriving in Columbus.

I'm not saying that I would or wouldn't take Z over Malkin. I haven't seen Malkin play in person, in the NHL. Until then, Z ha shown glimpses of what he can do in the league. The jury is out on Malkin.

The comments made were largely in context to the rather lopsided trade proposal presented.

X0ssbar

Seen them both play - although Malkin not as much.

Two different kinds of players and I like the guy with a higher offensive ceiling - so I'll take Z.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'm a CBJ fan and I think Malkin will be the better player.
That doesn't mean I'd trade Z, Klesla, Denis and 1st for him though.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think they're about even. I think they'll both be 75-80 point guys in the NHL.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
zherdev is like gaborik.. highly skilled, offensively super elite.. but malkin has the potential to be the best player in the nhl some day.. hes a like a sundin/jagr type..

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I think Zherdev will top out at around 85 points per season while Malkin has the potential to be the top scorer with 100 points. I think Malkin has the most upside in the world behind Crosby who could be the greatest.

Reactions: Casanova

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I'd rather take Malkin. Zherdev is an elite offensive force, but I think Malkin is much more well rounded.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Malkin. I think he will be the biggest russian star of all of these guys born 82-86.

Oilers1*

Interesting that many people who would pick Ovechkin or Malkin over Crosby because, 'they're proven against men' are still taking Malkin over Zherdev, despite the fact that Zherdev was played in the NHL and done quite well. . .

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I think Malkin will probably be better, but I'm not a risk freak and having seen Zherdev play so damn well in his rookie year I'll take him and be safe, however if there's a choice where it says "Wait until Malkin's rookie year in the NHL", then I'll definitely choose the wait option.

Vipers

May 17, 2002
Visit site
I'll go with Zherdev, offensively he's like Hossa with a bit more feistiness.
Malkin has to show it yet.
What you have done in Russia is not what you can do in the NHL.

FlyersFan10*

I'll take Zherdev and it isn't even close. Hell, I'll take Zherdev over Ovechkin as well. I'll also take Kovalchuck over Ovechkin and Malkin.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
I haven't seen Malkin play very much so I can't really compare. I've seen
Zherdev a little and I think he could be very good.He has some great skill.
I think he has to learn the game a little better but he could become a very
exciting player to watch.He was definetly a great pick for Columbus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad