Zherdev: no World Cup???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Latin*

D-Rock said:
Why is Nikolai Zherdev not on the Russian roster for the World Cup?

Zherdev is turning into one of the most overrated prospects on this board. He's good... but not *that* good.

S L

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
It deffenitly has to do with the way he left Russia...

He really didnt like Tikonov, so firing him was a start on getting him back on the team.

Does nayone konw if he would be allowed to play in Ukraine, where he was born, or is he still stuck in RUssia...

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Maybe someone in the world things the best players might have a little more experience than players that are 19 years old? Maybe Zherdev still needs a GPS to find the defensive zone? Maybe Bilyaletdinov saw the 6'4, 231 lb Zubrus was a better physical matchup for guys like Iginla than the 6'1, 186 lb Zherdev.

I know we like prospects but let us not forget common sense.

Sammy*

D-Rock said:
I dunno. Do you think Eric Staal should be on Team Canada?

X0ssbar

D-Rock said:

Ovechkin selected over Zherdev? :dunno: I know Ovechkin is tauted but he has no NHL experience - something 'Z' does have. This is a political decision.

....and he is really *that* good. I wish I was being a homer here - this kid is a big-time talent.

Sammy*

Top Shelf said:
Ovechkin selected over Zherdev? :dunno: I know Ovechkin is tauted but he has no NHL experience - something 'Z' does have. This is a political decision.

....and he is really *that* good. I wish I was being a homer here - this kid is a big-time talent.
Oh, so I see. Because you have played in the NHL makes you a better player.
Interesting perspective, to say the very least.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Sammy said:
well... yeah.

Z's been playing against the worlds best players, ofcourse the NHL makes you a better player :lol

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Sammy said:

Well it makes him more experienced and some here are trying to argure that Zherdev was left off for more experienced players, like Zubrus. But I think you're right. It's not about experience, or nhl games played, it is about who is the best fit for the team. If Zherdev didn't fit in, oh well. Still, it could have been political, as Zherdev is a very talented player and could have played for the team and nobody would have had a second thought about it. Zherdev is a world class talent at his age level.

swinginutter*

What about Alexander Frolov? Zherdev ain't the only one that was left off.....Mogilny was another surprise.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Top Shelf said:

Zherdev has less than one season of NHL experience. Ovechkin has been a premier player in the league's 2nd best league for a couple years now.To what degree we can label a player "established" seems to me an inexact science.

If Ovy was an 18-year old Kovalchuck, he wouldn't have been selected IMO. Which is another reason to believe the dissenting opinion on Ovy from scouts is being used to sell controversy to the general public i.e Joyce's ESPN article, and smaller than is being advertized.

X0ssbar

EroCaps said:
Zherdev has less than one season of NHL experience. Ovechkin has been a premier player in the league's 2nd best league for a couple years now.To what degree we can label a player "established" seems to me an inexact science.

If Ovy was an 18-year old Kovalchuck, he wouldn't have been selected IMO. Which is another reason to believe the dissenting opinion on Ovy from scouts is being used to sell controversy to the general public i.e Joyce's ESPN article, and smaller than is being advertized.

Considering this world cup is going to be played in North America versus NHL players (majority) on an NHL rink - having any NHL experience will be invaluable.

I am not saying Zherdev should or should not have been selected. I am just simply pointing out the fact that if Ovechkin was picked then I believe Zherdev even with his "less than 1 year of experience" would have been highly considered, if not selected, for this team if it wasn't for the political mess he left behind in Russia. There is no question in my mind this decision was politically fueled.

I can tell you Zherdev would make this team better - period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->