Zherdev may play in NHL tomorrow night !

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Wiz

Apr 6, 2003
nova scotia
Visit site
TSN reports that Zherdev is in Ottawa, trying to secure a USA visa. If he does, he may be playing in Columbus tomorrow night !

This all sounds very strange since he was struggling so much in the RSL.

Shouldn't they let him develop more ? I mean if you struggle in the RSL, you will get emotionally and physically crushed in the NHL, right?

Thoughts ?

Big Bill

Feb 27, 2002
Land of milk & honey
Visit site
The_Wiz said:
TSN reports that Zherdev is in Ottawa, trying to secure a USA visa. If he does, he may be playing in Columbus tomorrow night !

Shouldn't they let him develop more ? I mean if you struggle in the RSL, you will get emotionally and physically crushed in the NHL, right?

Thoughts ?

Looks like he may have just taken off as the article says. Then the case wil have to go to arbitration. This will get uglier if he did in fact just "run away"

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
The_Wiz said:

Thoughts ?

My thoughts are this is the very reason to never draft Russians, they're a ***** to get out of their respective clubs in Russia

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I don't know. There is a whole lot to these situations and always more than meets the eye.

As an example...the kid gets drafted and wants to sign and come over right away. For what ever reason, he says something derogatory about the Russian League, system whatever and it gets back to the hierarchy. They start to put the punish on him for whatever reason and he gets very little ice in the RSL and it becomes disheartening...even with an NHL contract they won't let him go....

Here is a similar example. Mikhnov was invited to the Oilers prospects summer camp, and his Russian Coach or League official said that if he went to NA on this trip he wasn't ever welcome back.

Chistov and Smirnov were treated the same way. With the RSL it seems like a shell game when it comes to players coming over. They put inhibitors on the kids when they just want to go play hockey.

I don't like the way they do things.

Sundried TOmato

Oct 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Seven_Nation_Army said:
My thoughts are this is the very reason to never draft Russians, they're a ***** to get out of their respective clubs in Russia
Right. I hope that NHL GMs (except the inexperienced and confused John Ferguson Jr.) see the light and pass on Ovechkin for that very reason.

• Haha
Reactions: RussianShark

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The_Wiz said:

Thoughts ?

If he plays to potential maybe CBJ rises out of the bottom 4 and a good shot at Ovechkin in the lottery!

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
I also read the TSN article earlier today... can anyone tell me if this was reported anywhere else? TV, Paper, NET? I haven't heard it and I live in Toronto...

(the reason I mention this is cuz TSN is in Toronto - not a "Toronto is the best place to live" - if your from Western Canada, or any other part of Canada, you'll understand, lol)

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Doesn´t he have a contract with his Russian club? If he does he shouldn´t be allowed to play in the NHL.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Peter25 said:
Doesn´t he have a contract with his Russian club? If he does he shouldn´t be allowed to play in the NHL.

The NHL contract he signed overrides his CSKA contract, per the IIHF.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The Messenger said:
Good news for the CANADA WJC team no???

If I was you, I would be more concerned with whether Brown, Fritsche, and Kesler will be released to the U.S. team.

skariya18

Sep 10, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
www.hockeydirect.net
Just read this on espn.com.

He will be in the lineup Tuesday against the Ducks.

"It is expected that either the Russian Ice Hockey Federation or Zherdev's team, CSKA (the Central Red Army), will claim that the player has yet to complete military service and seek his return to Russia. However, according to the transfer agreement between the NHL and the International Ice Hockey Federation, Zherdev was free to join the Blue Jackets in August after he signed his contract and the team paid the $100,000 transfer fee.

According to NHL sources, Zherdev's exit visa was "mislaid," preventing his leaving for the United States in time for the start of the season. Though the NHL has been inquiring as to Zherdev's status since August, proof of the player's military obligation has not been provided and Zherdev has maintained he hasn't taken an oath of duty.

If Zherdev's departure is protested by the Russian federation or his Russian team, the matter will be heard by an independent arbitrator. The move is believed to be welcomed by the NHL. Though Russia is a member of the IIHF, its teams often arbitrarily assert military requirements as a means of obtaining larger transfer fees and preventing their players from leaving. But while a hearing may settle Zherdev's matter, it may not settle the entire situation. The NHL's current agreement with the IIHF expires at the end of the 2003-04 season; it's expected that the Russian federation either will play a major role in shaping a new agreement or distance itself from the agreement entirely."

It looks like he hasn't served yet, but he got out of his service with the transfer agreement? Maybe someone with a knowledge of that works can shed some light, because it seems like maybe he defected this past week (even though he signed the 3 year contract back in August).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Rabid Ranger said:
If I was you, I would be more concerned with whether Brown, Fritsche, and Kesler will be released to the U.S. team.

Why???? Brown is injured and with all LA injuries he is going nowhere ...Fritsche maybe...Kesler is currently in the NHL, if he contiues his strong play he will miss as well..

Zherdev is a true talent and no offense to they 3 you mentioned but they are no Zherdev...

st_roland

Whoever sees the game on tuesday, please please post your thoughts on his play. I'm really excited about the infusion of talent that 2003 might give the NHL, and the play of Zherdev goes a long way in judging this.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I'll be going to the game tomorrow against the Ducks and next Weds. against the Flyers. I'll post impressions and such on the CBJ board for sure and maybe on this board.

Dr_Chimera*

Seven_Nation_Army said:

Well, it's not like he'll set the world on fire as an 18-year old.
As long as he's with the club when he's 20, it's all good, IMO.
Think long-term.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
This whole mess might be a good indication of why he has been (reportedly) playing so poorly this year. Big time off-ice issues always have the ability to hinder ones performance -- especially a 19 year olds.
Can't wait to see how this kid performs Tuesday.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
What team had the lowest percentage of possible points when Zherdev stepped on the ice to play in the NHL?

If I'm GM of that team, I'd be demanding that Zherdev has to clear waivers. It's a winnable claim if taken to arbitration.

http://letsgopens.com/nhl_cba.php?id=13
13.18 (f) In the event a professional or former professional
player plays in a league outside North America after the start of
the NHL regular season, other than on loan from his Club, he may
thereafter play in the NHL during that season (including
playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained
via waivers. For the balance of the season, any such player who
has been obtained via waivers may be assigned only after again
clearing waivers or through waiver claim.

Last edited:

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
Buffaloed said:
What team had the lowest percentage of possible points when Zherdev stepped on the ice to play in the NHL?

If I'm GM of that team, I'd be demanding that Zherdev has to clear waivers. It's a winnable claim if taken to arbitration.

http://letsgopens.com/nhl_cba.php?id=13
13.18 (f) In the event a professional or former professional
player plays in a league outside North America after the start of
the NHL regular season, other than on loan from his Club, he may
thereafter play in the NHL during that season (including
playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained
via waivers. For the balance of the season, any such player who
has been obtained via waivers may be assigned only after again
clearing waivers or through waiver claim.

The NHL gave the CBJ a roster exemption so that we wouldnt have to place Zherdev on suspension or on loan... This was back in training camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad