Zhamnov's not going to the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Well, after Nik Khabibulin and Danny Markov, Alex Zhamnov announced he wouldn't play for Russia at this year's World Cup, and says Sergei Fedorov will do the same. Zhamnov added that he'd return only if Igor Larionov became Russia's GM.

Intresting, ain't it? :banghead:

Source : www.sovsport.ru

(lone)Yashinfan#79

no way.. he's worth every penny...one of the few smart moves Clarke has made (and there are very few)

RoyIsALegend*

The comedy show known as the Russian Ice Hockey Federation continues to belt out eye-watering classics.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dynamo Ovechkin said:
one of the few smart moves Clarke has made (and there are very few)

like:

trading lindros
getting Primeau
getting Roenick
drafting Gagne
getting Markov
getting Cater and Richards and Ruzicka
getting Handzus and Esche for Brian Boucher
getting Hitchcock
getting Pitkanen

keep going?

every GM has an Adam Oates for Ouellet and 3 draft picks on his resume

Markov

Apr 16, 2004
Land of ice and snow
Well you could probably guess what the first words out of my mouth when I read this. "Oh ****! Not another ****ing player deciding not to go. What the **** is going on?" :mad: Ahh, I feel so much better now. :help:

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
Markov said:
Well you could probably guess what the first words out of my mouth when I read this. "Oh ****! Not another ****ing player deciding not to go. What the **** is going on?" :mad: Ahh, I feel so much better now. :help:

After reading this article you can't blame him/them , can you? :banghead:

They are making enough money here, many will probably stay here after their hockey life end. They are glad to play for Russia but also it's a favour (they don't have enough time to relax during the summer e.t.c).

All they ask for is Larionov as GM!!! Is it that difficult to satisfy?

Markov

Apr 16, 2004
Land of ice and snow
BruinsGirl said:
After reading this article you can't blame him/them , can you? :banghead:

They are making enough money here, many will probably stay here after their hockey life end. They are glad to play for Russia but also it's a favour (they don't have enough time to relax during the summer e.t.c).

All they ask for is Larionov as GM!!! Is it that difficult to satisfy?

No I wasn't blaming him or any of the other players who already pulled out. All the blame lies with the management in the Russian hockey federation and refusal to put Larionov in. :shakehead

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Dynamo Ovechkin said:
no way.. he's worth every penny...one of the few smart moves Clarke has made (and there are very few)

And an ever rarer win-win trade

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Well, there are not many things that could surprise me right now. The same with Zhamnov. He's a good player but I'm not surprised. There is nothing new to say, because we discussed this thing after Khabibulin's refusal, then after Markov's and now Zhamnov's. It is geting little bit boring.

Have an idea! Your predictions who is next to refuse! My candidate is Fedorov.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Imagine it is Ovechkin! :joker: If 18 year old guy refuses then you know you're in deep s...!

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
TORRUS said:
Well, there are not many things that could surprise me right now. The same with Zhamnov. He's a good player but I'm not surprised. There is nothing new to say, because we discussed this thing after Khabibulin's refusal, then after Markov's and now Zhamnov's. It is geting little bit boring.

Have an idea! Your predictions who is next to refuse! My candidate is Fedorov.

Fedorov already doesn't want to play!

Believe me they all want to play for Russia!!! It's about time Fetisov will think about changing GM rather than waiting while every player refuses to play. :shakehead

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
BruinsGirl said:
Fedorov already doesn't want to play!

Believe me they all want to play for Russia!!! It's about time Fetisov will think about changing GM rather than waiting while every player refuses to play. :shakehead

Fetisov has no saying in who's the GM, right?

brownies said:
Am I the only one who's happy to see so many players refusing to play for Russia ??? They need to change the way they prepare for the world cup and the players are making them pay.

Don't count me in that group. I agree the Russian Ice Hockey Federation needs to pull their heads out of the....ahem...sand, but I am a hockey fan. I want to see the best players in the world play at their best as this is what produces the best hockey. To have these players sit out ultimately benefits no one.

And as usual in any negotiations between players and management it's the fans who suffer. My condolences to all the fans of Team Russia. You deserve far, far better than this parade of charlatans and bureaucrats.

Suslik

Jun 30, 2004
BruinsGirl said:
Why not? He is Minister of Sports over there, right? I don't live in Russia/Ukraine anymore but can't believe he has no influence on RFH. :shakehead

Because Ministry of Sports does not have any jurisdiction over RFH. RFH is "independent" organization and Fetisov does not have any say on how it should operate.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
That's right. There's a Russian law that prevents the Sports Ministry from doing any changes within the different sports federations. This has to change.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Ovechkin probably won't refuse. He doesn't have much of a "winning reputation" to lose when Russia gets trounced in the World Cup.

"Khabibulin, Stanley Cup winner, gets shelled in 15-0 Russia Loss"

"Sergei Fedorov, 3-time Stanley Cup Winner, Confused After Russia loses 18-1"

But players really don't have an excuse other than injury to not play for their national team. Especially when their country needs them so desperately. This just shows that they care more about their image than they do about whether or not their country gets shelled and embarassed in front of the world. It's their job to do as much as they can to help, not to sit in the sidelines waiting until everything is all lined up perfectly so they can take the easy ride to gold. I am absolutely sickened by this selfishness on the part of these Russian players.

I am also sickened by the complete disorganization and chaos that is the RHF. They just can't get it together. Nabokov said that he told Steblin on a certain date that he was going to have knee surgery. A week later, Bilyaletdinov called Nabokov and knew nothing about the surgery. Where is the communication? Where is the organization? It can't be that hard to organize a National Team.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
But does the country need them so desperately?

The fans : YES.

The Russian Federation : NOT REALLY, and since the Federation is the only link between the players and the country, some players won't play for the country.

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
Foppa_Rules said:
Ovechkin probably won't refuse. He doesn't have much of a "winning reputation" to lose when Russia gets trounced in the World Cup.

"Khabibulin, Stanley Cup winner, gets shelled in 15-0 Russia Loss"

"Sergei Fedorov, 3-time Stanley Cup Winner, Confused After Russia loses 18-1"

I don't believe anything like this can happen! Even teams Ukraine and Germany were losing only 7-2 or 8-1.

Well, I have a new team (USA) to root since some time ago but I am really disappointed with all this bad politics by RHF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->