Injury Report: Zetterberg Back Dec. 28 (Post 255)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
44-13-11
Jurco - 93 - 14
8 - Sheahan - 21
20 - 18 - Callahan

Every 'rookie' has two 'veteran' presences so Babcock doesn't **** his pants the whole game

I wouldnt be against some of those younger guys like Sheahan, Ferraro and Callahan getting a game or two each. Weiss might get IRed short term then throw one of these guys in the line up to see how they play

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Yes Sheahan, Ferraro, and Callahan should all be seeing time at this point. Obviously not all at the same time but get a look at each of them individually. They are all out of waiver options next year and we need to know what they can do. Why is Emmerton up here? We know what he brings to the table (nothing), his deal is up after the season and he won't be back. It's a complete waste to have him up here. Wings management makes me wanna rip my hair out sometimes.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Yes Sheahan, Ferraro, and Callahan should all be seeing time at this point. Obviously not all at the same time but get a look at each of them individually. They are all out of waiver options next year and we need to know what they can do. Why is Emmerton up here? We know what he brings to the table (nothing), his deal is up after the season and he won't be back. It's a complete waste to have him up here. Wings management makes me wanna rip my hair out sometimes.

Emmerton is up because he was the only one the Wings could call up at the time, based on cap hits. Now that Hank is on LTIR, we might see a prospect come up though.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Emmerton is up because he was the only one the Wings could call up at the time, based on cap hits. Now that Hank is on LTIR, we might see a prospect come up though.

I'm aware...question is why did they wait so long to put Hank on LTIR? They could have called these guys up last week.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I'm aware...question is why did they wait so long to put Hank on LTIR? They could have called these guys up last week.

I'm sure the hope was that he'd be back earlier than 10 games/ 24 days, and thus they didn't want to LTIR just in case he could come back sooner. Plus they probably hoped that they could put a passing team together vs the Panthers and NJ but that sorta failed.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I'm sure the hope was that he'd be back earlier than 10 games/ 24 days, and thus they didn't want to LTIR just in case he could come back sooner. Plus they probably hoped that they could put a passing team together vs the Panthers and NJ but that sorta failed.

I don't buy that. They came out and said right away that Z wasn't even going to put on skates for two weeks. If you don't skate for 2 weeks you know they are going to give him at least a week of practice before he plays. It may have had something to do with maximizing the cap and the daily calculations and using it to bank cap space in the future...or maybe Wings management is just fine with mediocrity.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I don't buy that. They came out and said right away that Z wasn't even going to put on skates for two weeks. If you don't skate for 2 weeks you know they are going to give him at least a week of practice before he plays. It may have had something to do with maximizing the cap and the daily calculations and using it to bank cap space in the future...or maybe Wings management is just fine with mediocrity.

Really man? I get you might be upset with how the DRW do business. Or pick rosters. Or sign free agents. Etc etc. Arm chair GMing and complaining is half the fun on this site.

It is CLEAR. The reason to NOT put him on LTIR is so he can come back sooner than Dec 28th or Basically January. Maybe he doesn't need to stay out 2 weeks. Maybe he does. Your BEST player (stats wise) does not get put on LTIR without some thought. What if he comes back 1 week earlier and you can't play him. That makes you look just as much like an idiot GM as "getting cap space"

Losing D and Z and Helm in the course of 1 week is not planned for. But to suggest they are ok with mediocrity… you seem just angry. Completely overreacting.

It should be noted: LTIR does not affect CAP space. It simply provides a number which replacement players can be fit under. So really, there is little reason to worry about the LTIR on Z in regards to the rest of the roster. All LTIR does is allow someone else to be called up. That someone else will also compete with the roster as is (cleary, sammy, emmerton) for benching. So since we have a full roster (whether u like them or not).. the need for Jurco does not out way the roster. We will see if anyone else is called up for a few games. Either way, the call ups will not affect our team skill all that much. None of them are "Nyquist/Tatar" NHL ready.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
What do you mean by that? Just that you think the Wings were fine with what they had or because they couldn't cap wise?

I'd assume he means that we had able body players who could play that were already counting against the cap. This week we have Howard who got hurt & Weiss is also hurt which means they need replacements & in order to stay cap compliant we had to LTIR Zetterberg.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
What do you mean by that? Just that you think the Wings were fine with what they had or because they couldn't cap wise?

Let's be realistic, who were they going to call up who was going to be put into a position to make an impact? Every player was going to be in the bottom 6.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Let's be realistic, who were they going to call up who was going to be put into a position to make an impact? Every player was going to be in the bottom 6.

Perhaps you're right. Albeit because no way a couple players we all dislike would sit. But I think Ferraro could help this team right now. So could Toots. I don't really know how much Sheahan would perform instead of Emmerton. He's unproven.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia

That was true at the time, though I suspect they would've chosen Emmerton anyway, being in desperate need of an NHL center with Dats, Z and Helm all sidelined and Weiss still walking dead.

If I was in charge we'd have already been giving looks to the likes of Sheahan, Ferraro and Callahan (though not necessarily on the one specific call-up we just referenced). As it is, I suspect we will lose at least two of them for nothing, without knowing what they amount to at the NHL level. Hope I'm wrong.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Really man? I get you might be upset with how the DRW do business. Or pick rosters. Or sign free agents. Etc etc. Arm chair GMing and complaining is half the fun on this site.

It is CLEAR. The reason to NOT put him on LTIR is so he can come back sooner than Dec 28th or Basically January. Maybe he doesn't need to stay out 2 weeks. Maybe he does. Your BEST player (stats wise) does not get put on LTIR without some thought. What if he comes back 1 week earlier and you can't play him. That makes you look just as much like an idiot GM as "getting cap space"

Losing D and Z and Helm in the course of 1 week is not planned for. But to suggest they are ok with mediocrity… you seem just angry. Completely overreacting.

It should be noted: LTIR does not affect CAP space. It simply provides a number which replacement players can be fit under. So really, there is little reason to worry about the LTIR on Z in regards to the rest of the roster. All LTIR does is allow someone else to be called up. That someone else will also compete with the roster as is (cleary, sammy, emmerton) for benching. So since we have a full roster (whether u like them or not).. the need for Jurco does not out way the roster. We will see if anyone else is called up for a few games. Either way, the call ups will not affect our team skill all that much. None of them are "Nyquist/Tatar" NHL ready.

Yes really...

They just put Hank on LTIR...retoactive to when he got hurt....It's not like he cut his finger...he has a herniated disc. Again, they came out and stated Hank was not going to skate for 2 weeks...Doesn't matter if he woke up and felt great the very next morning...He's not skating for 2 weeks. That's a doctors order. a herniated disc is finicky. You don't rush it, especially when its your franchise player.

The point is they could be giving their future roster players NHL experience while they have openings to do so. Instead they bring back a retread who has already been given ample opportunity and he didn't do anything with it. Lets see what someone else can do...It has nothing to do with being "Tatar and Nyquist NHL ready". This isn't intended to be a long term fix. Sheahan, Ferraro, and Callahan have all spent 3+ years in the AHL...I think they can handle bottom 6 NHL minutes...

Not really sure what you are saying in your last paragraph...LTIR provides 100% cap relief of the player going on it. The Red Wings technically gained 6M+ in cap space by putting Z on LTIR. Obviously it doesn't really matter since he'll be back in a couple weeks and they'll have to have room for him. But currently they have a roster spot available (emmerton) and the cap space to call up anyone they want.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I haven't been following the Griffins that closely. But what is the big allure of Callahan? I was under the impression that he's just a 4th line energy player that's physical and can drop the gloves when needed. Can he PK, What's his scoring potential?

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I haven't been following the Griffins that closely. But what is the big allure of Callahan? I was under the impression that he's just a 4th line energy player that's physical and can drop the gloves when needed. Can he PK, What's his scoring potential?

I wouldn't say its a big allure. We just want to see what he's capable of at the NHL level. He's a prototypical 4th line energy guy. He plays hard, he hits, can fight a little, from what I've seen he's alright defensively. Can't remember if he gets PK time in GR. I think he has the ability to chip in some offense in the NHL. He's not going to create his own shots in the NHL but he's capable of potting those ugly goals around the net...something the Wings severely lack imo.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Not big allure. I'm one of his bigger fans though. Watching the griffins hes just the prototypical energy type. He could be a homegrown Tootoo type that you dont need to pay 2 million for in free agency. Solid middle weight fighter, big hitter on the forecheck.

He wont score a lot in the NHL, hes good at banging in ugly goals. Hes got 9 goals in 23 games this year good for second on the griffins but he plays with low end talent in a grinders role. Hes outscoring Ferraro and Sheahan right now playing with way worse line mates and no PP time while theyre regulars on the PP. He is earning a shot with his play

His defensive game is good though. He gets put out at the end of games to defend a lead and is a regular on the PK.

For the toughness, speed and defensive ability I think he can play in the NHL. Thats why I think the wings should give him a shot. He'll be a third liner at most but could be one of those valuable ones that help you in the playoffs playing tough and scoring ugly goals

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Zetterberg out is unbelievable. A bad dream. I agree with the comment he is the heart and soul of this team. Oh Captain, my Captain! :cry:

I think how lucky are the fans who saw him arrive here in the motor city, 2002. To witness Z develop and score so many points in this pivotal era of NHL hockey, what a treat. I'll say the times I've got to see him have been surreal, and being injured I appreciate him even more.

If Zetter had to retire this season I would not shed a tear. The guy is an absolute warrior, some incarnation of a Swedish general. In his 18th year as a professional player he has taken some licks and this game wears on you. He has given his flesh and blood to prove himself and any hockey team he plays for. But the times they are a changin'. Pavs said last season, this is a young man's game. We've got to imagine Hank's days are numbered. And whose aren't?

Z has done so much, I don't care how long it takes him to get 100%. May be this is a rest before the olympics? If it is he has earned it. Take a break and get loose. It's a good time for the Wings to step up and show their mettle without having their hand held by Pav and Z!

Speaking of the next generation, I don't think it would hurt at all to bring in a prospect and replace Emmerton on the 4th line. In my very limited sighting of Sheahan and Ferraro (Callaghan I don't think I've seen) from the prospect tournament, pre-season, and Sheahan's 2 NHL games I give the nod to Ferraro. Griffin fans know better Landon's dad is an NHLer, and he looked effective this pre-season. Although it would be nice to get a better look at where our 1st round draft pick of 2010 is at! Obviously there is no replacing Zetterberg. But the Red Wings can use this time to march on and try some different things while Z recuperates.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
bah, going to the game saturday...looks like ill be watching the griffins mostly.

hopefully they're healthy by the next one...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad