Zero penalties for Canada in 1987

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Canada amazingly got zero penalties in the round robin game against USSR in the 1987 Canada Cup. The USSR received 5 minor penalties.

Here is a good video of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW9TEb2BuQw

So lets see. All the intentional high sticks to a face, crosschecks, trippings and slashes went unpenalized from the Canadian side. The referee of the game was a Canadian/American referee.

Ridiculous and disgusting.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Why not?

One of the most disgusting displays of sports favoritism and cheating deserves conversation.

Yes and No...

Yes, because it was indeed a case of favoritism...
No, because, well, we have to move on someday...

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Yes and No...

Yes, because it was indeed a case of favoritism...
No, because, well, we have to move on someday...

I think this subject needs to be kept alive at least until the majority of Canadians admit that their "victory" in 1987 was a result of favoritism and cheating. Until then this subject needs to be discussed.

Any sane person watching the video will agree this.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think this subject needs to be kept alive at least until the majority of Canadians admit that their "victory" in 1987 was a result of favoritism and cheating. Until then this subject needs to be discussed.

Any sane person watching the video will agree this.

Well, we can't say the victory (in this game) was a result of favoritism and cheating, because we can't really know what would have happened if there wouldn't have been favoritism and cheating.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Well, we can't say the victory (in this game) was a result of favoritism and cheating, because we can't really know what would have happened if there wouldn't have been favoritism and cheating.

Using this logic the athletes that use steroids should be allowed to keep their medals since we don't know if they wouldn't have won anyway.

I don't understand how anyone can say that the Canadian "victory" in 1987 was legal.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Using this logic the athletes that use steroids should be allowed to keep their medals since we don't know if they wouldn't have won anyway.

I don't understand how anyone can say that the Canadian "victory" in 1987 was legal.

Because using drugs is outlawed.
And because the refs have discretionnary power. They used it badly, but they simply used the power that their job give them.

So, considering the refs have discretionnary powers, thus ain't doing anything outlawed when calling/not calling penalties, the result cannot be voided. And since we don't have a time machine to go back in 1987, call the penalties, and send the Green Unit out there, well, no reason to consider the victory not legal. Tainted for sure, but perfectly legal. An illegal victory would be if the refs were bribed or something like this.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Because using drugs is outlawed.
And because the refs have discretionnary power. They used it badly, but they simply used the power that their job give them.

So, considering the refs have discretionnary powers, thus ain't doing anything outlawed when calling/not calling penalties, the result cannot be voided. And since we don't have a time machine to go back in 1987, call the penalties, and send the Green Unit out there, well, no reason to consider the victory not legal. Tainted for sure, but perfectly legal. An illegal victory would be if the refs were bribed or something like this.

I know that the "rules" of the Canada Cup allowed using Canadian refs in Canada's games. Refs that were biased for Canada and biased against USSR. Yes, it was "legal" in terms of the rules of the Canada Cup. But it wasn't legal in terms of sportsmanship and fair play.

JerseyMike

Feb 24, 2007
Toronto

I just watched that for the first time and although some of the penalties called on the Soviets were....hmmm...questionable, there is a very solid chance that the 1 referee in the game did miss what Team Canada did. Hell when I was watching it, without the help of slow motion replays, I didn't really notice a whole lot either (from both sides).

Was their a bias? Maybe. I don't know, I wasn't on the ice I don't know the conversations between the refs and the Soviets. I don't know how it went, but that video you posted, while is shows some questionable calls and whatnot, it's no "smoking gun" by any means.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
I know that the "rules" of the Canada Cup allowed using Canadian refs in Canada's games. Refs that were biased for Canada and biased against USSR. Yes, it was "legal" in terms of the rules of the Canada Cup. But it wasn't legal in terms of sportsmanship and fair play.
Illegal sportsmanship?

:dunno:

colina_tisk_tisk_sml.jpg

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I just watched that for the first time and although some of the penalties called on the Soviets were....hmmm...questionable, there is a very solid chance that the 1 referee in the game did miss what Team Canada did. Hell when I was watching it, without the help of slow motion replays, I didn't really notice a whole lot either (from both sides).

Was their a bias? Maybe. I don't know, I wasn't on the ice I don't know the conversations between the refs and the Soviets. I don't know how it went, but that video you posted, while is shows some questionable calls and whatnot, it's no "smoking gun" by any means.

It wasnt just about the questionable penalties called on the USSR. It was also about the penalties NOT called on Canada. The USSR had ZERO powerplays in a game in which its players were slashed and elbowed to the face, tripped and crosschecked from behind. Zero powerplays. Canada had five.

Even the CANADIAN announcer (who was clearly biased for Canada) admitted that it was rather "strange".

This was no accident.

JerseyMike

Feb 24, 2007
Toronto
This was no accident.

Accident? Doubtful.

But you don't know what or why that is. Maybe the 1 Ref was told to watch out for something at all times and missed a lot because of it, maybe he was asked to watch the play AWAY from the puck way more then on it. Maybe he had a personal grudge against a player or coach on the Soviet side, hell it happens in the NHL/IIHF to this very day.

You don't know the reasons behind any of this. Your assuming a whole lot.

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
Of course I know the reason for this. It was Alan Eagleson, the Soviet-hating criminal responsible for organizing this tournament.

And other than "'Cause I say so" what proof do you have at all for this? Whole lot of assuming here but not much else.

You know this was 20 years ago... right?

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Canada amazingly got zero penalties in the round robin game against USSR in the 1987 Canada Cup. The USSR received 5 minor penalties.

Here is a good video of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW9TEb2BuQw

So lets see. All the intentional high sticks to a face, crosschecks, trippings and slashes went unpenalized from the Canadian side. The referee of the game was a Canadian/American referee.

Ridiculous and disgusting.

Do you believe everything you see on the internet?

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Talk about beating a dead horse. It was 20 years ago and last time I checked it was the refs not the actual Canadian team or fans who were the ones making the bad calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad