Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Part II - Oops, I Got Sidetracked Again.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I think the impossible may be happening.... BotW might be on the verge of surpassing Chrono Trigger as my favorite game of all time.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
BotW is the greatest game ever made.

Like watch these and ask yourself how many of these did you know when you completed your first play through?

There are so many details in this game that are captured so subtly, that everyone's first play through is so different from each other.

My buddy and I had totally different experiences while playing, we solved puzzles differently, tackled the Divine Beasts in different order, found different content and easter eggs etc.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Saw this comparison of the "same location" in Skyward Sword with its counterpart in BotW on Reddit the other day:

ko84v8t4usl01.jpg

One day, there's going to be a comprehensive list of all of the locations that are direct homages to past games, and it's going to be great.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Saw this comparison of the "same location" in Skyward Sword with its counterpart in BotW on Reddit the other day:

ko84v8t4usl01.jpg

One day, there's going to be a comprehensive list of all of the locations that are direct homages to past games, and it's going to be great.

There are already a few for the more obvious ones. The Skyward Sword one’s, Twilight Princess with the Bridge and the Arbitor Grounds.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'm getting very close to breaking and buying a switch just for this game...

Same boat... Just waiting for a few more games to come out that I'd like to play, not sure I can justify dropping $450 for a single game, regardless of how good it is.

It's worth it.

I have to agree. It is 100% worth it.

The wife and I went out to lunch back in December. Had a few hefty IPA's at lunch and she wanted to go shopping after we finished. Fortunately there was a gamestop right next to Target so I said why not. On a drunken whim, I bought a PS4 Pro and Switch. I ended up getting Super Mario Oddessy and Zelda: BOTW.

I dove head first into the Ps4 games I bought (I already had a PS4 but it was an original model, running slow as shit and out of space). I spent a lot of time on World of Final Fantasy (amazing game). I had started BOTW at the end of December and just wasn't that hooked. I decided to pick it up again yesterday morning and beat all four shrines at the VERY beginning of the game.

Oh. My. God. I did not put it down after that. I could not put it down after that. I don't even like open world games that much and it is amazing. Absolute ****ing perfection. It has been a very, very long time since I sat at work all day and wanted to do nothing but go home and play a specific game. I am itching to go home and play.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I am afraid to google anything because I don't want any spoilers but am in need of some help.

Currently heading to tackle the first guardian (or w/e its called) and I am attempting to get shock arrows. However, the guy keeps one shoting me. I have 7 hearts and need one more shrine for the 8th. I've tried defense boost meals as well as extra hearts but I just don't do enough damage to kill him in time. Should I not be here yet? Should I have different equipment? Total defense right now is around 17 and most of the weapons I have do damage between 15-25.

I've said it before but I really have to say it again. I didn't get all the hype at first. I do now. This game will undoubtedly be in my top 3 when all said and done. It is also possible it could be my #1. Absolutely amazing.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Are you at the Lynel who shoots the shock arrows and you need to collect them? Near the Water temple kind of area? I am kind of unclear on where you are.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Don't let Lynels use their bow. Ever.

Close the distance and make it pull the sword out. You still won't really be able to let it hit you but dodging the attacks becomes much much easier.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Are you at the Lynel who shoots the shock arrows and you need to collect them? Near the Water temple kind of area? I am kind of unclear on where you are.

That is correct. I keep getting killed in one shot.

Don't let Lynels use their bow. Ever.

Close the distance and make it pull the sword out. You still won't really be able to let it hit you but dodging the attacks becomes much much easier.

Will they drop arrows then if/when I finally kill it?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah there is no way youre killing that Lynel at this point. You aren't really supposed to. Just collect the shock arrows anyway you can (he shoots them and they get stuck places, but you can find them other places in the area IIRC) and go back to talk to the fish people.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Yeah there is no way youre killing that Lynel at this point. You aren't really supposed to. Just collect the shock arrows anyway you can (he shoots them and they get stuck places, but you can find them other places in the area IIRC) and go back to talk to the fish people.

I DID beat that Lynel at that point early in the game (that was the first Divine Beast I did too). The first Lynel in the game I beat, and I probably only had around 6-8 hearts at the time too.

Make A LOT of meals that give you bonus hearts and a bunch of meals that boost your defense (at least 2 or 3 times up). And then it's doable.

Even then it's an extremely tough battle.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I don't have patience for that much concocting in the early game. When i couldn't beat an enemy I just left.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Sure. And the other poster should consider it. You can go off and do something else, and come back to that Lynel way later in the game. Or never.

There's no reason you have to do the Zora quests first. For that matter, you don't have to do any quests, or even complete any of the Divine Beasts.

Now that I've played through the whole game, if I had to do it again I think I would probably
do the following order for the Beasts: Rito -> Goron -> Zora -> Gerudo. Both because I think that is generally the order of increasing difficulty of the Beasts, and that also gives you the most useful abilities earlier in the game. Revali's Gale is so clutch and I wish I had it early in the game for exploring the world. After that, Daruk's Protection is so helpful for combat with tough enemies, also useful to have earlier in the game.

Agree?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Sure. And the other poster should consider it. You can go off and do something else, and come back to that Lynel way later in the game. Or never.

There's no reason you have to do the Zora quests first. For that matter, you don't have to do any quests, or even complete any of the Divine Beasts.

Now that I've played through the whole game, if I had to do it again I think I would probably
do the following order for the Beasts: Rito -> Goron -> Zora -> Gerudo. Both because I think that is generally the order of increasing difficulty of the Beasts, and that also gives you the most useful abilities earlier in the game. Revali's Gale is so clutch and I wish I had it early in the game for exploring the world. After that, Daruk's Protection is so helpful for combat with tough enemies, also useful to have earlier in the game.

Agree?

I was thinking about going and doing something else and then coming back once I had more hearts. Thank you.

Any suggestions for equipment? I feel like overall my equipment is ridiculously weak. I don't do enough damage with my weapons and the clothes I have aren't providing enough protection anymore. I did upgrade them but still, they are the first pieces in the game you can buy. I feel like there has to be better stuff out there.

One last thing. Every once in a while I will be roaming around and get absolutely smoked by the robots that walk around and shoot the laser our of their eye. Can those be killed?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I was thinking about going and doing something else and then coming back once I had more hearts. Thank you.

Any suggestions for equipment? I feel like overall my equipment is ridiculously weak. I don't do enough damage with my weapons and the clothes I have aren't providing enough protection anymore. I did upgrade them but still, they are the first pieces in the game you can buy. I feel like there has to be better stuff out there.

One last thing. Every once in a while I will be roaming around and get absolutely smoked by the robots that walk around and shoot the laser our of their eye. Can those be killed?

There are shock arrows in the trees around the Lynel, so if you sneak around carefully you should be able to collect enough. I think they say you need at least twenty, but truth be told you only really need a handful.

As for equipment, additional improvements are the name of the game, so getting additional fairy fountains (there are four total, though the price really amps up for the 4th one) is a must. The champion's tunic is great and can be gotten early on as soon as you find your first memory, so that'd be a good one. And for upgrades, you just need two horn shards from the dragons that you occasionally see above (which is less daunting than it sounds). The soldier's armor in Hateno village is good, too.

As for the spider guardians, yeah. They're essentially what break down the easier areas from the more difficult areas. You will get smoked for a good long while by them, but once you really get in the groove of it you'll be taking them down like it's almost nothing. Think of the Fallout games when you first find the areas with Deathclaws. You'll steer the heck away for the foreseeable future. You'll eventually tank 'em, though.

Last edited:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

Definitely try to upgrade all the armor you get.

You can get the Soldier Armor pretty early in the game, and that's good for combat, especially once upgraded - when fully upgraded, it gives a total defense of 84!

The Guardians (that shoot lasers) are tough and you should probably just avoid them until later in the game. But practice your Shield Parry in the meantime - once you are strong enough to take on Guardians and are equipped with much better shields, parrying their laser blasts back at them is one of the most effective ways to fight them.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I checked my BotW total play time just now. I bought the game at launch just about a year ago.

Total playtime as of today: 200 hours, 42 minutes.

Still haven’t run out of things to do either. Been hunting dragon parts to finish upgrading a few remaining pieces of armor. And at some point I still have to do the Trial of the Sword.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->