Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Part II - Oops, I Got Sidetracked Again.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Best the DLC, and holy cow does the ending go from 0 to 60 in a second.

Me: Oh, just this at the end? That's a tad disappointing, as I was hoping for a... what? Oh... Oh, hell yes.

Maz Koshia, man.

Bike's fun to ride around on, too.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Talking to Sidon and King Zora after the Mipha Trials makes me sad. I never was bog on the Link+Mipha thing, but after talking to them and seeing some of the stuff she wrote in her Diary it kinda hit me.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The diary stuff was simultaneously cool and forced. Oh, here are four diaries we found, several of which spanned a decade, but the handful of passages written about specifically about Link/Zelda and/or the Divine Beats. It added to the lore at the very least, so that was cool. Reading a bit about why the King chose Link as a champion was neat.

Left me overall wanting more and wanting to see a young Link adventuring around in the pre-Calamity Hyrule, so it's always best to be left wanting more, I suppose.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Meh,

In my view they've shown they don't know how to make compelling DLC. I would prefer they just start work on a new game using the same engine. I want my Majora's Mask to BOTW's Ocarina of Time.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm for Star Wars every December and a new BotW game every other year.

Hey, Nintendo! You can just see a small island on the horizon to the far east of Hyrule in BotW. Have the next game be on a new landmass where that same island is on the far west of the horizon. Bam, brand new world, can do anything you want, have identical mechanics, but add new enemies and a couple new items. You have my money for BotW2 in 2019.

Then, for BotW3, you can have the Gerudo desert be the far northern border and have a perpetual duststorm preventing you from going back to Hyrule. And another new land to explore, same as above. 2021.

BotW4, just across the impassable chasm to the north or west of Hyrule. 2023 on the Switch and the SwitcherU.

Executive producer credit, please.

Real talk, I'm expecting at most one more Zelda game if we're lucky for the Switch, and I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to reinvent the wheel again.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm for Star Wars every December and a new BotW game every other year.

Hey, Nintendo! You can just see a small island on the horizon to the far east of Hyrule in BotW. Have the next game be on a new landmass where that same island is on the far west of the horizon. Bam, brand new world, can do anything you want, have identical mechanics, but add new enemies and a couple new items. You have my money for BotW2 in 2019.

Then, for BotW3, you can have the Gerudo desert be the far northern border and have a perpetual duststorm preventing you from going back to Hyrule. And another new land to explore, same as above. 2021.

BotW4, just across the impassable chasm to the north or west of Hyrule. 2023 on the Switch and the SwitcherU.

Executive producer credit, please.

Real talk, I'm expecting at most one more Zelda game if we're lucky for the Switch, and I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to reinvent the wheel again.

it would make sense almost every console had 2 games.
NES: Zelda 1 + 2
SNES: Link to the Past, Ancient Stone Tables (Japan Only)
N64: Ocarina of Time + Majora's Mask
GC: Windwaker + Four Swords + Twilight Princess*
Wii: Twilight Princess* + Skyward Sword

Wii U the unloved child is the only system that didn't have a game on its own (which we all know would have been breath of the wild, had it not been re-vamped, and then basically packaged for the switch). They did get all the ports (windwaker HD, twilight princess HD). even the DS/3DS has two games per system.

also notable that the span between releases is only 3-4 years. Skyward Sword/BOTW being the only outlier, again though BOTW had all those delays and then I think it was an executive decision to not make it a Switch Port but basically another Wii U Port. (Poor wiiU)

So it wouldn't surprise me (unless they really pump up DLC for Zelda and put in more story etc), that in the next 3 years, there will be another Zelda.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, I'm fully expecting at least one more Zelda game for the Switch, but hopefully it'll actually be a mid-generation game rather than a late-generation one that's also on the next console.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Reports are Anouma has already confirmed they're working on a sequel.

I want a Majora's Mask or Link's Awakening kind of bizarro world game. Something like that would be a great opportunity to appease SJWs too; make Zelda the hero (or even Linkle) in an Alice Through the Looking Glass sort of story.

Or just do regular Link. Makes no difference to me either way so long as it is good.

Also, BOTW was just announced as IGN's GOTY. So with IGN and The Game Awards, is it confirmed that BOTW is the undisputed GOTY? I think so.

Even with its lacklustre DLC....:sarcasm:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Meh,

In my view they've shown they don't know how to make compelling DLC. I would prefer they just start work on a new game using the same engine. I want my Majora's Mask to BOTW's Ocarina of Time.

YES.
PLEASE.

i love majora's mask.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
nintendo announced - no more dlc's (BOO)
but they are officially working on a new Zelda.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Disappointed that there won't be any more additions to BotW, but hopefully that means we see a sequel in the near future rather than deep into the Switch's lifespan. Come on, 2019 release, please.

And I think I finally hit my tapped out point for a single playthrough at 180ish hours. Haven't beaten the Trial of the Sword or fully upgraded all of my stuff (although I have for almost everything), but I think I'm going to move on to a new game and maybe come back to this for a Master Quest replay at some point down the road.

Sitting comfortably at my second favorite game of all time, and still in my head to potentially challenge Chrono Trigger as my favorite game of all time.

Top Five (all games)
1) Chrono Trigger
2) Breath of the Wild
3) Final Fantasy VI
4) Link to the Past
5) Risk of Rain

Top Five ("Zelda" franchise)
1) Breath of the Wild
2) Link to the Past
3) Okami (I will die on this hill)
4) Wind Waker
5) Link Between Worlds

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Of the instalments I played enough of to have an opinion...

1) BOTW
2) MM
3) OOT
4) LTTP
5) LBW
6) MC
7) WW
8) LA
9) TP

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I bought my mother a Switch and BOTW for Xmas. Looking forward to seeing what all the hype has been about lol.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
1) BOTW
2) ALTTP
3) OOT
4) ALBW
5) The Oracle games (I will die on THAT hill)

No WW, no MM. Come at me.

Okay, will do.

*ahem*

I personally think that Wind Waker is fantastic, though I do agree with you on Majora's Mask as I just couldn't get into it.

*drops mic*

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
So I got this for Xmas (and the Switch) and played about 5/6 hours yesterday (got through the Plateau and just got to the Kokoriki (?) village before saving/going to bed). Do I ever get a weapon that doesn't break in like 8 hits? Is that coming soon? Also, am I bad or am I close to new armor? Some of the green looking goblins on the road to the village from the plateau were 1 hitting me and my 4 hearts...

Does the game explain any of the other mechanics or is it kind of "figure out yourself"? I couldn't figure out cooking so I looked it up to the get to the top of the mountain without freezing to death in the Plateau. I hate looking things up but if the game isn't going to explain it to me then I won't feel as bad. As of now, I'm wondering if there is a way to repair equipment & how to start a fire...

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
So I got this for Xmas (and the Switch) and played about 5/6 hours yesterday (got through the Plateau and just got to the Kokoriki (?) village before saving/going to bed). Do I ever get a weapon that doesn't break in like 8 hits? Is that coming soon? Also, am I bad or am I close to new armor? Some of the green looking goblins on the road to the village from the plateau were 1 hitting me and my 4 hearts...

Does the game explain any of the other mechanics or is it kind of "figure out yourself"? I couldn't figure out cooking so I looked it up to the get to the top of the mountain without freezing to death in the Plateau. I hate looking things up but if the game isn't going to explain it to me then I won't feel as bad. As of now, I'm wondering if there is a way to repair equipment & how to start a fire...
1. All weapons break. There are a few (no spoilers) that don't break but they run out of energy or they can be found again in the same spot after they do actually break. It seems daunting at first and I hated it. But really, you get used to it and it becomes less of a hindrance as the game goes on. You will end up having to decide what weapons to keep.

2. You aren't bad. You need new armor and heart upgrades. The game starts out kind of rough but you just got to that first village. The game will really take off now. My suggestion is to do lots of shrines if you find them to get orbs to upgrade your heart capacity (at a pray stone). Also save them rupee's to buy better armor. Soon you will get a quest that will show you how to upgrade armor. Then you will be collecting butterflies, lizards and flowers like there is no tomorrow lol. I don't want to spoil but you will get that quest soon.

3. The game is kind of 'figure it out for yourself' but its a lot of trial and error. I died A LOT when first playing so don't feel like you are bad or anything. You will figure stuff out as you go. Some of the puzzles in the shrines are mind boggling then you realize what you need to do and it seems so simple. Next time you will remember doing that and it will come easier.

4. To start a fire... I don't want to spoil it for you but Flint seems like a good item to collect ;)

5. There are some crazy / fun ways to be really creative in this game with how you battle baddies.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Appreciate the help/advice! As an adult without a ton of gaming time (had the day off yesterday so I could sneak in a solid session - rare for me to get more than 2+ straight normally) I was a bit worried I'd end up just frustrated/annoyed with the game. I can feel it starting to turn though and everyone loves it so I'll stick it out.

I figured I just passed the tutorial, basically, and am on level "1" when you get the basic equipment, if I had to compare it to a "regular" game, based on the time estimates many have said about beating the game. 6 hours seems long but its much like the witcher 3 I guess: White Orchard = Great Plateau; Koroki Village = Bloody Baron (IE, when the game starts to take off) - this is at least my hope, anyway.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
There are apparently a bunch of rumors that Nintendo's going to release a 3DS remake of a previous Zelda game at some point this year. Link's Awakening seems to be the most oft-mentioned, but the whole thing might just be baseless speculation.

If they update it and add a bit of BotW elements, that might actually be pretty nifty. That being said, I'd rather play it on the Switch than the 3DS.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
One of my favorite recent series on YouTube has been Game Maker's Toolkit's Boss Keys on the Legend of Zelda dungeons, and they finally got to BotW:

Good watch, and a nice perspective from someone appreciative of what Nintendo was trying to do but also of the opinion that there was a lot of room for improvement.

It does hammer home my hope for what the next Zelda game would be. I want a game that merges BotW's open world and gameplay mechanics with past Zelda games' dungeon variety and item variability (or, at least, just the hookshot). If they do that with the next game, I have a good feeling that it'd be enough to become my new favorite game of all time (and knock BotW from #2 to #3).

And to further promote his channel, he also previously did great video's on BotW's open world nature and an especially excellent one on the music:

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad