Hockey Fights: Zdeno Chara vs Jamie Oleksiak

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Draw/win for Chara. Oleksiak held his own for sure.

Might have been different if Chara hadn't been on the ice for a while before but who knows.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Draw/win for Chara. Oleksiak held his own for sure.

Might have been different if Chara hadn't been on the ice for a while before but who knows.

no one landed a punch. if you listened to jack edwards though, you'd think it was a KO after that "uppercut."

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It's a tie. Not much of anything landed, but given the size and strength of the two fighters, hugely entertaining for the suspense (of what would happen if a bunch did land) alone.

Reactions: td_ice

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Not surprised that Chara didn't seem nearly as excited to fight Oleksiak as he does other players. Normally if a bruin is being pushed around by a smallish tough guy, Chara barrels in and begs the opposing player to fight with little shots and jabs.. not to mention putting his nose within a 1/2 of the other players nose (intimidation tactic). Oleksiak was very physical with the Bruin player, and Chara slowly coasts in, takes a few shoves from Oleksiak himself.. before he finally decides to fight. When they are fighting, you can see he tried to enforce his normal routine, of throwing a few punches then getting the takedown... except when he tried to headlock Oleksiak and fall, Chara couldn't budge the man who is equal in his size... Chara then tried to pull him into him with a tug, again to no avail.

I really like Chara as a leader and a player, but I've always hated how he is so eager to fight the smaller man... but when he's fought players in his category, he's alway has an exit strategy first planned out.

Jealous that Pittsburgh landed Oleksiak... always liked his potential.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
I agree Chara like to fight the 5'11 players.. He never tried trading punches with Laraque, he tried to wrestle him down the 2 times they faught. Nice of Oleksiak for not backing down vs Chara

Reactions: Koized

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I agree Chara like to fight the 5'11 players.. He never tried trading punches with Laraque, he tried to wrestle him down the 2 times they faught. Nice of Oleksiak for not backing down vs Chara
Chara is the captain of the Bruins. His job is to stand up for his teammates when little pests cheapshot his skill players, not trade unequal minutes with 4th line goons.

Chara had no reason to accept a fight from Laraque, no top pairing D has any reason to accept a challenge from a guy who spent the majority of his career as a healthy scratch.

As for this fight, ou ave a fresh player fighting a player who was gassed and needed a rest, and if anyone won, it was the gassed player. Full credit to Oleksiak for fighting evenly with an exhausted 40 year old I guess.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Not surprised that Chara didn't seem nearly as excited to fight Oleksiak as he does other players. Normally if a bruin is being pushed around by a smallish tough guy, Chara barrels in and begs the opposing player to fight with little shots and jabs.. not to mention putting his nose within a 1/2 of the other players nose (intimidation tactic). Oleksiak was very physical with the Bruin player, and Chara slowly coasts in, takes a few shoves from Oleksiak himself.. before he finally decides to fight. When they are fighting, you can see he tried to enforce his normal routine, of throwing a few punches then getting the takedown... except when he tried to headlock Oleksiak and fall, Chara couldn't budge the man who is equal in his size... Chara then tried to pull him into him with a tug, again to no avail.

I really like Chara as a leader and a player, but I've always hated how he is so eager to fight the smaller man... but when he's fought players in his category, he's alway has an exit strategy first planned out.

He was gassed out. He killed an entire penalty out there... then dropped his gloves with a fresh player.

Also you're completely wrong with everything you said in describing the fight, too. He didn't once try to take Oleksiak down.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
If Chara only went after 5'11" players then what's so impressive about Oleksiak fighting him? You can't have it both ways.

So much is laughable about this post. You're acting like Chara is out there getting tugged to the ice by an invisible rope like Steve Ott would do when he started to get hit.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
If Chara only went after 5'11" players then what's so impressive about Oleksiak fighting him? You can't have it both ways.

So much is laughable about this post. You're acting like Chara is out there getting tugged to the ice by an invisible rope like Steve Ott would do when he started to get hit.
According to this Zdeno Chara NHL Fights he’s only fought a guy 5’11” twice in the NHL - Steve Downey 10 years ago and Kris King 20 years ago.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
A fresh Chara likely pounds Oleksiak, still an impressive showing after spending close to 3 minutes in his shift.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought it was funny that just before they engaged they both did a doubletake, like, "Ooo, he's big!"

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Another hot steaming take from this weekend. Excellent.

How many players do you know that are eager and excited to get into a fight after a 3 minute long shift?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
no one landed a punch. if you listened to jack edwards though, you'd think it was a KO after that "uppercut."

Not one punch, huh?

8e7d9b5d-f561-49a7-9a25-774df0050491-jpeg.102049

Reactions: BarnumEffect

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Not one punch, huh?

8e7d9b5d-f561-49a7-9a25-774df0050491-jpeg.102049
Chara noticed some snot, and was kind enough to wipe Oleksiak's nose for him.... :thumbu:

Hardly a classic fight, but Chara landed a decent shot, and some glancing blows. Oleksiak hung on for life.

Decision easily to Chara. Good on Eleksiak for hanging in there.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
No, you're right. The bent nose, the grimace on Oleksiak...clearly, Chara missed.

NHL Fights from Mar 1, 2018 Pittsburgh-Boston

You might want to watch more combat sports, brah.
you're right. he dominated him! 10-8 round! 10-8 round! oleksiak showed his chin though. Able to withstand that monster shot from Chara that, as you put it, "bent his nose."

at best, its a glancing blow, "brah."

You can "bend your nose" with minimal effort. Try doing it with 1 finger right now. See how hard a punch has to be to "bend your nose"

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
you're right. he dominated him! 10-8 round! 10-8 round! oleksiak showed his chin though. Able to withstand that monster shot from Chara that, as you put it, "bent his nose."

You can "bend your nose" with minimal effort. Try doing it with 1 finger right now. See how hard a punch has to be to "bend your nose"
Chara also landed a pretty solid uppercut.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I see, so in the middle of the fight, Chara pushed his clenched fist up against Ole's nose. He must have been trying really hard to do that, judging by his facial expression. And Ole can barely hold back a smile at the tickle attempt.

I'm guessing you never actually watched the fight, seeing as your so adamant no punches landed.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
I see, so in the middle of the fight, Chara pushed his clenched fist up against Ole's nose. He must have been trying really hard to do that, judging by his facial expression. And Ole can barely hold back a smile at the tickle attempt.

I'm guessing you never actually watched the fight, seeing as your so adamant no punches landed.

What? Jesus this is dense. I'm saying that a glancing blow bent his nose. Thats quite obviously what happened. You can see it easily in the picture. My point with the finger was how easily the nose can be forced to bend.

Like I said. I already scored it 10-8 for chara. He f***ed him up with the nose bending shot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad