Injury Report: Zaitzev not recovering from the Flu, to undergo tests

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by Daisy Jane, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Daisy Jane

Daisy Jane they keep breaking my heart

it takes a long time to recover from ankle/feet injuries.

2. joepeps

joepeps Registered User

Home Page:
    Yes, but you can't say his play is bad. 1.75 years is also a small sample size to say it's bad. Maybe wait? What if he's Anton Stralman? Maybe everyone should just relax and calm down.

They said the same **** about Morgan last year... He's playing like ****... He was top 2 d with Zaitsev last year until he got injured. He came back and wasn't the same. This year he's the best thing since sliced bread.

How about we reserve judgement until end of next year?

3. CantLoseWithMatthews

CantLoseWithMatthews Registered User

Zaits was good last year and at the start of this year, but things fell apart after injury. I think he mainly just doesn't feel confident out there. A huge part of the game is mental and he just doesn't have that right now. Hopefully he gets it back

4. Once

Once Registered User

Yes.

Its unfortunate that his ankle injury handicaps one of his prominent attributes, as it makes him more similar to a Polak type player rather than his usual self. And from this he loses a bit of confidence, which leads to some fans discrediting everything he has done prior to his ankle injury.

5. Cor

Cor Most Likes Received By HFW Poster - 2018

He had a concussion previously (last April). Even when a player is 100% from a concussion, it still lingers for a while after. People forget, that it took Crosby a solid calendar year after his concussion to be back to Sidney Crosby. Even with his foot injury in December, it's possible that still isn't fully healed.

It came out Saturday that Zaitsev had the flu. IIRC he was still practicing last week. So really it has only been 2 days, 4-5 at most. While significant symptoms are usually only around for 2-3 days, the weakness, fatigue etc can last anywhere from 3 days to 14 days depending on the severity.

It's likely this is just a severe case of the flu, but they are doing more tests to confirm that, and ensure it's not anything more serious.

I myself was sick beginning 2ndish, and today is the first day where I have like no symptoms whatsoever. There's a lot of people who have been getting sick this year and carrying symptoms for weeks, rather than days.

6. thewave

thewave Nazem Kadri #1 Fan

That's too bad about Z. He was really good before his injury to give credit. I just hope it's not one of the C's. Cardiac / Crohn's / Cancer. I am sure he will be okay though and it's probably some kind of abdominal pull or some food allergy. I remember when I was around his age my allergies changed on me and suddenly I found myself having to flip my diet, that or I was feeling sick to the stomach and feeling ill.

7. GardinerTheForward

GardinerTheForward Registered User

NHL Defenceman
    Maybe a vacation on the sunny Robidas Island will help him get better. Or maybe he is sick because of the Hep A he got on Robidas Island:sarcasm:

(Maybe he is being sent to Robidas Island)

8. thewave

thewave Nazem Kadri #1 Fan

Send him to Japan!!

9. Jozay

Jozay lolwut?

Hopefully he'll be fine and this isnt a bigger issue.

10. Kiwi

Kiwi Kiwi

There's a reason all the analytics guys were raising red flags about him last season before the contract extension

He was the big bright shiny new toy that everybody fell in love with that blinded them to how good he actually was and if you think he was carrying Rielly or Gardiner you need you need to actually watch some hockey

Don't give me that Babcock loves him bull****, he loves Polak and Komorov as well

Yippee

11. Daisy Jane

Daisy Jane they keep breaking my heart

not everyone fell in love with him.
    he's not as bad as you are making him out to be
    who cares what the analytics people think, they poop on everyone

Z was decent.
    they gave him years to give him security, and then the guy had a concussion which takes a while to get over and then he hurt his ankle, he's got sophmore-itis, and he's got a new baby at home which screws everyone up (except for Forwards because they tend to score goals when a new baby comes from the hospital).

i don't know why people either have to be AMAZING or SUCKS. around here.

12. moon111

moon111 Registered User

Last season Z was absolutely a disaster both in the regular season and the playoffs. Perhaps changing his role where he's not making risky plays has helped keep him from sinking defensively? But his assists are lower then Polak as a result. I would be more inclined to accept this if he was a younger player trying to find his way. Maybe he hasn't been healthy? The contract frightens me for his motivation. He has money in the bank and I don't know if there's much drive to accomplish more then he has now. I sure do hope this is all the flu and not a cover-up for some personal lifestyle choices or lingering issues due to a covered up concussion.

13. GoldenGOOSE

GoldenGOOSE Registered User

Zaitsev played well defensively? Phew. Haven't seen it. I think he is the worst positional dman I have seen in a long, long time. Its no mistake we lambasted the Penguins without him. He is a team killer, no way he should be playing above anyone.

He ruins everyone he plays with. Just a tough situation.

14. Macallan18

Macallan18 Registered User

hope he recovers quickly, and that it's not serious.

15. RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior Registered User

Home Page:
    Just a slight exaggeration here.

Zaitsev hasn't been playing as a top pairing defender recently but the comparisons to Polak and him "ruining partners" are just dumb.

The guy has tools. He just needs to stay healthy.

16. WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99 Registered User

AC
    SHARE MY BLOG! FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! WTFMAN999
    1. On a personal level, I hope Zaitsev feels better soon

2. If you guys are worried about Zaitsev, this is one case where the Russian factor probably works out in everyone's favor. You healthy scratch him a bunch like Leivo, end of the season chances are he's willing to "retire" from the NHL and go back to Russia, he goes through unconditional waivers and done just like the Marchenko situation.

17. Kiwi

Kiwi Kiwi

I'm not saying he's Polak but he's definitely not a good or even decent mid pair defenseman

He's can't move the puck out of his own zone efficiently which means he flings the puck up the boards or flips it into center ice, he also doesn't prevent clean zone entries and backs up for no apparent reason, he skates well enough to actually prevent that which is what his aim should be

He also didn't do that very well last year either and the only time he's really excelled is when he was playing with Marincin, who's a god at denying clean zone entries

I'm no Gardiner apologist but anybody who thinks Zaitsev was carrying Gardiner or Rielly in the last two seasons needs there head read

Maybe he sorts himself out maybe he doesn't but nobody should be looking at that contract particularly favorably right now

18. Raging Bull

Raging Bull Present

He's making 4.5 million a year for like 7 years, why would he retire and void that contract.

AnishLoomba likes this.
  19. WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99 Registered User

AC
    SHARE MY BLOG! FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! WTFMAN999
    6 more years but he can get that kind of money in the KHL easily. Voynov is getting that kind of money right now as an example. Voynov also might be trying to head back to the NHL this summer too.

20. Martin Skoula

Martin Skoula Registered User

He was a #1 D in the KHL, saying he has 1.5 years of track record is kind of disingenuous. He's a high level player who is very obviously hampered by injuries right now.

Imagine trying to deal with post-concussion symptoms while you have a newborn in the house. You're already slow mentally, and then you injure your ankle. Even if you think the play through fast enough, you can't move to where you need to be in time. While all this is happening, your D partner is playing erratically and throwing giveaways up center ice.

draeko17 likes this.
  21. Stephen

Stephen Registered User

Home Page:
    He may be Anton Stralman, sure. But we don't know after 1.75 years, and it doesn't seem to have made sense to lock him up for 7 years.

What I don't like about him is his reads are always a little off so his body positioning, decision making, it's just all a half second off the mark. It's like he has tremendous physical tools but not quite the processor to make it all work.

For better or worse we're probably stuck with him for a couple of years so there will be plenty of time to evaluate and be patient, but it's a heavy cap allocation for that kind of gamble.

22. Kiwi

Kiwi Kiwi

Why is Gardiner the one being thrown under the bus? He's being asked to move the puck for both guys right now

I'd much rather a player try to pass the puck and make the odd mistake than treat the puck like it's a grenade that has to be flung down ice with zero idea where it's going to end up

Gardiner looks good beside everybody but Zaitsev, that's not a Gardiner issue

23. htpwn

htpwn Registered User

Tough year for Zaits. First the concussion disrupting his off-season, then the broken foot, now this.

24. Martin Skoula

Martin Skoula Registered User

I like Gardiner, don't get me wrong. His unpredictability works for us more than it works against us.

That being said, Zaitsev was an offensive D that carried the play his entire process career before he came here, trying to adjust to being a stay at home guy for a high risk player like Gardiner isn't easy, especially while dealing with the injuries mentioned above.

25. lifelonghockeyfan

lifelonghockeyfan Registered User

retired
    Actually Carrick and Polak looked OK against the Pens the other night. So if the Leafs continue to play every 5 days, Leafs should be OK.
    Certainly the Leafs need Zaitsev long term. Hopefully it's just a short term medical issue, which seems to have lasted all year.