Zaitsev's start to the season

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Can't find the player discussion tab, but anyways anyone else really surprised at how well Zaitsev looks to start the season? Night and day from the beginning of last year. Looks like a legit top pairing D. Obviously he won't keep up his production at the same pace but the way he's getting shots through is good to see. Small sample withstanding 52.1% cf with only 41% oz starts is extremely impressive.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yup, looks great. Hope he keeps it up.

He reminds me of an Ekholm type player. Not necessarily play style, but in terms that while he's not good enough to build your D around, he can be that guy beside your #1 and give you great results.

His biggest issue last year was his even strength play, but taking him off the PP, and allowing him to focus solely on the PK and ES, has been great for him, and clearly hasn't affected his production.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I'd say the tiers go

Hainsey
Rielly
Zaitsev

Borgman

Gardiner

Rosen / Carrick

In how they've played so far

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Zaitsev (26): 4gms, ES 15:03 (B+ qoc), 5.03p60, 68.4xgf% (+13.2rel) / PP 0:14, 0.00p60 / SH 6:13

Just tremendous.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He's been tremendous, for sure. Had one rather rough game and three excellent ones so far.

We should remember that last year he was pretty much a rookie thrown out in the deep end. We couldn't have made the transition to NHL harder for him.

Reactions: slozo

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
He's not our best defenseman, but he's been the most consistent one so far. Seems to have a lot more confidence this year, and I think his production will reflect that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's looked fantastic.

Still think his shaky play post injury last year was because he returned too soon. Guys just want to get back out on the ice as soon as possible, and while I appreciate the sentiment sometimes extra rest is better

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He seems to have really improved his first-step quickness, which was maybe his biggest weakness last year.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
He was an absolute godsend. Imagine the state of our right side without him? Ugly.

It stands to reason he is going to improve, he is still young and getting used to the league. How much is the question but either way we got a good deal with his contract IMO.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
What more you can ask for - it's such a relief to see him play, great find and signing

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He's been very good, confident and effective offensively, while playing a reliable 2-way game. Rielly and Hainsey have both been good too. If Gards and the bottom pairing guys start playing well, our D will be solid, but unfortunately that hasn't been the case so far.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Entered the league having the potential, it was just a matter of if his game would carry over as well to the NHL. Should (continue to) be much more comfortable this season. While I think a team's best PKer is its goalie, I believe he and Hainsey being the go-to guys there should bode well for us.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
It's really awesome that he suddenly found his offensive game. We knew that he had a big shot from his time in Russia, but now he's actually putting it to use. His vision in the offensive zone (our second goal last night) is also a welcome revelation. He's also been quite steady defensively.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
His first step off the line has been incredible this year and his decision making has been probably the best on the team thus far. Its an odd situation because you feel so comfortable when he has the puck but ready for the worse if Jake has it.

Cant wait til Jake settles in, that pair will be on fire.

Reactions: MJ65 and 1specter

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This guy has single-handedly saved our D from being one of the worst in the league.

Has looked like every bit of a top pairing defensemen to start the season. So glad we have him locked down for 7 years at a cheap price. Once Gardiner stops being so erratic we should have a legit top-pairing.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He looks more confident and is also shooting more which I'm happy to see because Zaitsev actually has a very nice shot.

Also helps to play with Gardiner...last year he was put beside Hunwick to start and then got buried under hard competition with Rielly.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Keep Gardiner and Zaitsev together. This has the potential to be our top pair for a long time. Let them ride out bad games.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
he's a +6 so f*** all those people that criticized his -22 or whatever last year

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He should be on the PP ahead of Rielly. I am really impressed with his offensive skill level so far.
This x1000.

He may not move the puck as well as Rielly, but he can still do it adequately. And his shot is 10000x more threatening than Rielly's. I'm going to lose my mind if we keep putting Rielly on over Zaitsev.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He should be on the PP ahead of Rielly. I am really impressed with his offensive skill level so far.

This x1000.

He may not move the puck as well as Rielly, but he can still do it adequately. And his shot is 10000x more threatening than Rielly's. I'm going to lose my mind if we keep putting Rielly on over Zaitsev.

I disagree. Although I like Zaitsev's offensive capabilities, Rielly is a much better passer and puck mover and it's not really close. Zaitsev is mobile but he often makes the simple play and chips the puck out instead of passing it or skating out with it. Rielly has shown that he can pass and move the puck well and has actually been a very productive PP player in the time he's been given. A few years back Rielly and Kadri led a really solid PP unit together as well. Yes, Zaitsev's shot is much better than Rielly's, but the Leafs PP is not designed around a big shot, rather it's focused on good puck movement and efficient passing. Zaitsev was on the PP all of last year and never used his shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad