Zaitsev

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I thought Dermott was the best defenceman both games.

Dermott has been excellent and was very good in the first game.

Gotta give the edge to Zaitsev though as he played the most minutes on the team at ES and 5v5, played harder minutes, played almost 5 min of clean PK (when all the other PK defenceman were brutal), and had amazing scoring chance numbers on a night when the rest of the team was in the negative.

A big problem around here is that he wasnt given any credit for being so good. Now the narrative sets in that hes been awful when he been pretty good outside of one period.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Dermott has been really good but our coach still has more confidance is Zaits and Hainsy, who are playing so bad.

Reactions: PuckMagi

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Russian spy tampering with our playoffs!

Robert Muller should be checking into Russian collusion into this years Leafs playoff series, when he has some spare time from his other special counsel prosecutorial duties.. :sarcasm:

Zaitsev has been brutal in this series and might in fact be the worst Leaf play in this years playoffs its almost like he is working more for the Bruins than the Leafs at this point.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Dermott already passed Zaitsev. Rielly and Gardiner were always ahead of him. He's our #4 defender at best now. Liljegren will probably pass him soon too in a couple of years. That's way too big of a contract for what could ultimately be our 6th best defender in a year or two (if he isn't already).

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The problem with having an offensive team, you'll win more playing offensively... at least in the regular season.
A strong offense will destroy weaker teams. But often... you won't beat teams that have it all down pat.
Wayne Gretzky scores 196 points and gets swept in four games by the New York Islanders.
Zaitsev, as well as the entire team, did not learn anything from their series against Washington.
When it's come to playing good two-way competitive hockey, they fail. Zaitsev, as well as the entire team, needs
to play playoff hockey. Not just now, always. Hopefully this series will show the Leafs they are pretenders,
not contenders. I think attitudes on how to play, the importance of how Babcock has tried to mold them
will not be lost on all players and players like Zaitsev and the entire team change for the future. The issue
with Zaitsev, like many, they thought they knew how to win, only it wasn't when the chips are down.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
I'd try to play Rielly-Hainsey half the game and Gardiner-Dermott the other half. Use whatever bottom pair sparingly in the right situations (like a breather or PK) for whatever minutes needed.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
its time to waive him and never let him wear a leafs jersey every again. hopefully he gets mad and demands to go back to russia so we can terminate his contract

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm prepared to patient. If you can be patient with Gardener for all these years, you should be patient with Zaitsev.

At least Gardiner had fancy stats and major flashes of brilliance to recommend him

What's Zaitsev got besides he can skate?

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
So you've got nothing?

That's probably what I'd say if I didn't have a clue how to defend my opinion
Lol. Do you not remember his outstanding rookie season last year or did you just become a Leafs fan this year, while he was dealing with multiple injuries all season? Get a f***in clue.

Gardiner had a great rookie season, then an injury riddled second year which resulted in him spending most of the season on the Marlies.

You either had no clue or you chose to forget because Z is Russian? Lmaooo

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Lol. Do you not remember his outstanding rookie season last year or did you just become a Leafs fan this year, while he was dealing with multiple injuries all season? Get a ****in clue.

Gardiner had a great rookie season, then an injury riddled second year which resulted in him spending most of the season on the Marlies.

You either had no clue or you chose to forget because Z is Russian? Lmaooo

What the hell are you talking about?

He was massively overrated last season because he was the bright new thing and he's gotten worse this season

There's a reason his advanced stats have sucked this season and they were poor last season

He's not very good and he's not a ****** kid he's right in the middle of his prime

He's not worth that awful ****** contract and he never was

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I feel like judgement should be held until at least halfway through next season. He started out the year great but had a tough year personally and now looks like he's in "start of season" shape when everyone else is in playoff shape.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Babcock's comments about Z post-game were interesting. Combine that with Babcock's comments about him earlier in the year, regarding Z's inability to move on from tough performances, and it sounds like they are working pretty hard to build up his confidence

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What the hell are you talking about?

He was massively overrated last season because he was the bright new thing and he's gotten worse this season

There's a reason his advanced stats have sucked this season and they were poor last season

He's not very good and he's not a ****** kid he's right in the middle of his prime

He's not worth that awful ****** contract and he never was

You think Lou gave him 7 years because he likes shiny new things?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
zaitsev to me just every night, plays a lot of minutes against star players, plays hard, plays physical, makes mistakes like all D but is usually his rock solid self most the time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->