Zaitsev vs Larsson (oil)

Who's better right now?

• Total voters

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Anyone see super-elite defensive dman Larsson get absolutely undressed by Kuzy last game for the 4th goal? after being stuck in no man's land on the 3rd goal?

Reactions: PinkFly

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Anyone see super-elite defensive dman Larsson get absolutely undressed by Kuzy last game for the 4th goal? after being stuck in no man's land on the 3rd goal?
Right. Undressed so hard that he actually disrupted Kuznetsov to the point that he didn't regain control of the puck until he was well behind the goal line. Creative play by Kuznetsov, but Talbot's the goat on that one, not Larsson.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
oh lordie.

now I see why you guys are convinced he's elite defensively.
No Larsson admittedly has not played very well this season, certainly not as well as last year (Klefbom has been downright awful most of the time).

Thats just a hilarious perspective of what unfolded on that play. That goals on Talbot not on Larsson, who yes made a mistake on the initial read, but recovered enough to prevent the scoring chance. Not his fault Talbot over-slid his post.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If you can't admit when he gets walked, then you're not an objective observer.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If you can't admit when he gets walked, then you're not an objective observer.
If you can't admit that goal is almost solely Talbot's fault then you're not an objective observer. Of course Larsson didn't play that perfectly by any means, but he played it well enough to eliminate the scoring chance. A shot from behind the net is not a scoring chance. Also your analysis of the 3rd goal has me questioning if you have any idea what you're talking about in regards to hockey. Do you think Larsson should back in and let the best goalscorer in the league walk into the slot? No, he did what he was supposed to and neither his D partner nor the centre picked up Kuznetsov.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If you can't admit that goal is almost solely Talbot's fault then you're not an objective observer. Of course Larsson didn't play that perfectly by any means, but he played it well enough to eliminate the scoring chance. A shot from behind the net is not a scoring chance. Also your analysis of the 3rd goal has me questioning if you have any idea what you're talking about in regards to hockey. Do you think Larsson should back in and let the best goalscorer in the league walk into the slot? No, he did what he was supposed to and neither his D partner nor the centre picked up Kuznetsov.

The guy got walked, easily.

You see all us leaf fans who you call homers all the time? when a leaf like Zaitsev gets burnt, we admit it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Zaitsev gets burned on the regular, and I don't see anyone admitting it. Hes terrible defensively.

As we can see, both Zaitsev and Larsson get burnt on the regular. As does every dman.

Leaf fans admit it when Zaitsev (and other leafs) do, Oilers fans can't admit it when larsson does.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
As we can see, both Zaitsev and Larsson get burnt on the regular. As does every dman.

Leaf fans admit it when Zaitsev (and other leafs) do, Oilers fans can't admit it when larsson does.

Just because we defend the guy when people say he sucks doesn't mean we can't admit it when he screws up. Getting "burned" happens to every defenseman. There are also tons of situations that look like the d-man got burnt, but there is far more too it, yet fans get on that player for making a bad play.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The guy got walked, easily.

You see all us leaf fans who you call homers all the time? when a leaf like Zaitsev gets burnt, we admit it.
This is rather ironic given that I criticized Talbot, Klefbom, and Nuge in that exact post you quoted. Are they not Oilers?

If you want to call Larsson out for getting walked you can find much better examples than that. He's looked much more foolish than he did on that play.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Yeah the on the ice results just don't match the rhetoric.
So OEL must be worse then too? Yotes are a bottom 5 defense...

For the record I think they're pretty similar (#2/3 D-man) but on the Leafs I'd rather have Larsson.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
The Leafs have a bottom 5 defence in the NHL yet I always hear how Rielly, Zaitsev, and Gardiner are better than Larsson. Just doesn't seem to add up :huh:

Leafs have a bottom 10 defense. Edmonton has a bottom 5 defense. So yeah what you're saying does seem to add up.:huh:

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Zaitsev is a top pairing D.

Larsson is not.

It's pretty obvious by all the numbers.

You keep telling yourself that, bud. :laugh: Larsson is a far better defenceman. I'm sure the argument could be made for Zaitsev being a better forward though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad