Zadorov Vs. Nurse

Who's the better player?

• Total voters

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
*I'd vote for Peacock against anyone though (see avi)

E:
He's just playing great. Like he's been better than EJ for the past month (and this has been one of EJ's best seasons), playing great. His advanced stats shine on this team despite playing really tough minutes against the best the opposition has to throw at us. He's a monster in his own zone, who made the crispest breakout passes on the team until Girard showed up. With him recently regaining his offensive swagger and learning to hit the net this season, Zadorov's arrival has been the second great revelation of this Avs season after the MacKinnon-explosion.

Kento's post on this seems relevant here:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/nikita-zadorovs-shutdown-ability.2430317/

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The step that Nurse has taken this season absolutely not be overstated. Nurse is the real deal and he's finding his offense - 16 points in 45 games with zero powerplay time. He's a rock and looks like he could be a rock solid #2 someday.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Nurse has looked really good every time I've watched the Oilers, but Z for the last stretch has picked up right off where he ended last season. He had a rough start to the year - likely IMO due due his contract dispute and missing all of training camp - but if the Z that ended last year and has been appearing for the last little while is a sign of things to come it's tough not to be excited about him too. Didn't vote for either since I would like a "tied" option. One might easily end up better than the other, but I think they are pretty close right now. The raw tools they each possess makes it sort of difficult to predict who will end up better, IMO, since they each feasibly have so much potential.

Reactions: Steerpike

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
The step that Nurse has taken this season absolutely not be overstated. Nurse is the real deal and he's finding his offense - 16 points in 45 games with zero powerplay time. He's a rock and looks like he could be a rock solid #2 someday.

replace nurse with zadorov and this is very much just as true with a tweak on points and games played

Last edited:

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Nurse. He's improved so much this year. One of the few bright spots on the oil this season.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Another 2 point night with another gwg this time in OT. That's 4 goals in the last 4 games for Nurse. Guy is a possession monster, a speed deamon on skates with all the prerequisite skills to become a number 1D now that his offense is starting to emerge. I'll go with Nurse on this poll, although Z is a sold dman himself.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Zads picked up another 2 points to bring him up to 8 in his last 11 games. With how dominant he is in his own zone, they're really letting the Peacock fly this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lemonlimey

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Everything being said about Zadorov in this thread can be said about Nurse. Everything said about Nurse can be said about Zadorov. Similar players. Nearly indentical production this season. Two mean giants. Both have great shutdown abilities. Neither play PP. both PK. Same age. Nurse has better CF% stats but Zadorov starts more in the dzone. Relative corsi stats are basically equal.

Awesome Poll

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Everything being said about Zadorov in this thread can be said about Nurse. Everything said about Nurse can be said about Zadorov. Similar players. Nearly indentical production this season. Two mean giants. Both have great shutdown abilities. Neither play PP. both PK. Same age. Nurse has better CF% stats but Zadorov starts more in the dzone. Relative corsi stats are basically equal.

Awesome Poll
well obviously based on this it is zadorov AINEC. thanks for the break down

Reactions: Steerpike

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC

Awesome Poll

Agreed. It's a shame that the Nurse vs Gardiner poll has 4 times the comments as this does because this poll is much more interesting since it's relevant, realistic, and comparably equal.

Last edited:

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Have to vote for my boy Big Z but this is as close as close can be. Nurse is looking great this year as well.

Reactions: snipes

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Get back to me when Nurse posts a +16 shot differential against Crosby and Malkin. Nurse easily my ass.
So you want to use a 2 game sample size to discuss shot differential when Nurse has a +88 shot differential at even strength compared to a -6 shot differential for Zadorov this year? Advanced stats are not something that you should be bringing up if you're trying to make a solid argument for Zadorov in this discussion.

With that said, this is close, but I'd give Nurse the edge because he's just straight up putting up better possession metrics while playing more minutes and is +13 on a -20+ team. Both are great young D, but Nurse is a bit better imo.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So you want to use a 2 game sample size to discuss shot differential when Nurse has a +88 shot differential at even strength compared to a -6 shot differential for Zadorov this year? Advanced stats are not something that you should be bringing up if you're trying to make a solid argument for Zadorov in this discussion.

With that said, this is close, but I'd give Nurse the edge because he's just straight up putting up better possession metrics while playing more minutes and is +13 on a -20+ team. Both are great young D, but Nurse is a bit better imo.
Advanced stats are definitely something that should be brought up to to pump Zadorov. He's the best possession defenseman on the Avalanche. His CF relative to his team is on par with Nurse. He's also at a 37% zone stat percentage compared to Nurses 51%.

Zadorov had a rough injury last year which he dealt the offseason rehabbing from. Then he didn't have a contract and showed up to camp late. He wasn't ready to play and was kept out of the lineup a fair bit throughout the first few weeks of the season. Since being incorporated back into the lineup full time (26 games ago) he's at a CF of 52.57, and a high danger CF of 56.91%.

Nurse's advanced stats are nice, but factoring in zone starts and team relative stats it pretty much balances out with Zadorov. Especially if you want to look at Zadorov since he started playing full time but that's not completely fair since even though we're aware of the injury and all, he still played and you need to prove yourself over a sample size. Still definitely notworthy though.

One place where Nurse does one up Zadorov is individual shot attempts. While Zadorov is very good in this area, Nurse is simply better. He's producing shots at a very very high level.

Aside from that, seeing anybody in this thread trying to straight up call one better than the other is almost certainly a fan showing some homerism. I made a post earlier saying how similar these two are in so many ways and this post adds to it. I voted Zadorov because I'm and Avalanche fan and I want him to win the poll, but that's it. If there was an "even" option I would have chosen that but since there isn't I'm voting for my guy.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think people realize how good Zads has been since settling back in. There is no hyperbole when I say that he has been outplaying EJ for about a month now; and this is one of EJ's best seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad