Zack Smith's awesomeness cannot be denied

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Hell no...if you're going to **** things up might as well **** things up BIG!!!!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How old are you guys? Did you guys ever watch Chris Kelly play? He was a REAL Third line Centre.

This guy. 4th liner Centre. Maybe if he starts producing on some points. He had a good first half a season 2 years ago and that was it.

To be fair, Smith is only 25 years old. Kelly didn't even crack the NHL until he was 25.

Lot of time for Smith to refine his game left, and while I've always thought Kelly was underappreciated until his departure, there was lots of people complaining about Kelly during his tenure here, so it's not like people are changing their tunes.

Master Kush

Jan 29, 2003
Visit site
He's played well after a horrible start. Hard to blame him for a lack of points when he's been playing with arguably our two worst forwards this year in Greens and Neil.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Smith is now one of the better open ice skaters, and puck carriers on the team.

I didn't see that coming, at all. Props to him for turning a physical and mental corner.

His numbers don't show it, of course, given his assignment as a checker and the quality of his linemates. But he has definitely developed a latent ability to carry the puck into open ice and hang onto it.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Seriously, put Smith with semi-skilled players and he can perform great.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan (1st)

Michalek-Spezza-Pageau (2a)

Greening-Zibanejad-Smith (2b)

Condra-Grant-Conacher (4)

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I sent him an angry tweet 4 games ago about how lifeless of a player he is (classy I know..lol)
... 3 goals in the past 4 games. Still not a big fan though, but at least the puck is going in for him

Drama

Feb 8, 2010
Ukraine
He is nowhere near Fisher because as far as I can remember Fisher never took as many dumb penalties and he was overall a smarter player which is what netted him more points overall. Mike Fisher is Smiths ceiling and I doubt he ever gets close.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
He is nowhere near Fisher because as far as I can remember Fisher never took as many dumb penalties and he was overall a smarter player which is what netted him more points overall. Mike Fisher is Smiths ceiling and I doubt he ever gets close.

I think Fisher is an excellent 3rd line centre and decent 2nd line centre. Smith is an excellent 4th line centre and decent 3rd line centre.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I think Smith's offensive potential is being stymied because he doesn't get to play with offensive players. Look at when he was playing on the top line last year with Alfie and Michalek (IIRC). He had points in 7 of 8 games (again, IIRC) and really made that line work again.

He has all the attributes to be a decent offensive forward. Great at carrying the puck, good skating, high compete level, great shot and decent passing. He's also physical and good defensively his hard forecheck and boardwork opens up space for his linemates. I still think he'd be great on the top line with Spezza.

Smith - Spezza - Ryan could work wonders IMO. They all play at about the same speed and you have Ryan/Smith working the boards and creating shots while Spezza has more space because Ryan is dangerous and Smith is running around.

Smith - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Michalek
Conacher - Zibanejad - Condra

Make it happen Mac.

You really aren't serious??

Did you not see the one game MacLean had Smith on a line with Spezza??

Every Sens fan should be acutely aware Ryan doesn't fit with Spezza.

IMO MacLean should leave the top six as it was last night.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I think Fisher is an excellent 3rd line centre and decent 2nd line centre. Smith is an excellent 4th line centre and decent 3rd line centre.

Smith is a very good third line center being asked to play with two guys that are at best 4th line NHL caliber.

While Greening is physical and skates well, his puck skills are ZERO.

Neil brings very little other than his physicality, he handles the puck just about as well as Greening.

Of course both Neil and Greening will score the odd goal, but even a broken clock gets it right twice a day.

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
I've been loving Smith's game for the last while. Really feels like like since MacLean complimented his game, he's elevated it. He does take some dumb penalties here and there, but I'll take the good with the bad here. I think he's a legitimate third line center who needs some better wingers.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
I agree he is not as good as Mike Fisher, maybe never will, but he is good fit for a 3rd or 4th line centre role. He just needs to take less dumb penalties, and he got to be more consistent from game to game. Defensively, I found he still makes bad plays, sometimes could not get the puck out of his own zone. Smith needs to be more assertive with the puck and play with some more skilled players will help his offence for sure.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Smith is not Mike Fisher......Yet. He is cut from the same clothe and if memory serves me is developing at a similar pace...took a few years for Fisher to become the beast we all remember. Give him time aside from the odd untimely penalty he is one of the more effective role players on the teamhe takes penaltys because he battles hard he battles hard because he gives a **** which is more then i can say about half the ****in team.... Give him time he will get there and even if he doesnt quite get there he will at the very least be a decent replica of Chris Kelly.....which i personally wouldnt mind.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He just simply is not that great. 1 of every 15 games are good. Personally thought Winchester was the better smarter hockey player. I do admit that his bad play is partly due to having not much talent on his wings. But playing him against other teams top lines is so far out of his element.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Smith does the little things very well and that's why Maclean loves him. He is the best on the team for supporting his teammates in all three zones, skates with the puck well and gains the zone. He has been the 4th best forward on this team this year.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Smith does the little things very well and that's why Maclean loves him. He is the best on the team for supporting his teammates in all three zones, skates with the puck well and gains the zone. He has been the 4th best forward on this team this year.

It doesn't matter, if he isn't scoring people accuse him of suckage. The Greening-Smith-Neil line hasn't been bad at all for quite some time, but people continue to throw out face palms about them being together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->