Confirmed with Link: Zack Smith signed to 4 year extension

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Fair deal. Thought he'd get closer to 4M with a weak free agent group + expansion this year.

Kind of disappointed we didn't wait till after expansion to re-sign him, but oh well. Just glad Smitty will be a Sen for another 4 years.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Smith could have gotten a lot more as a free agent. He clearly wanted to stay with the team. Moving forward, it's not a bad deal. He may not be a true 25 goal scorer, or even a regular 20 goal guy. However, he is quite versatile, and plays a big 200 foot game. Wins draws when needed, goes to the tough spots, and brings a lot of effort to each game. If he plays with Stone moving forward, his points will be decent enough as well.

EDIT - pointed out by someone on Twitter comparing Smith to Andrew Shaw. As good a comparison as any I suppose. Quite a bit less on less term for Smith. I don't think this deal hurts Sens in the long run. Or next year for that matter.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Awesome deal. Anyone who says it's too much doesn't pay enough attention. Smith is a great hockey player.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Wow, I'm going to say Smith left $4 million on the table. He easily gets +$4 million in Free Agency.

Dorion doing a great job. Boucher doing a great job. Players doing a great job.

I'm guessing this means they trade Dzingel for talent. He's gone in the protection draft.

Dzingel, White, 1st and you suddenly have a package you can get a star player with.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Definitely agree that he took a hometown discount, so I'm pretty happy with this deal.

Smith has improved so much over the past two past seasons that it would have sucked to lose him.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Wow, I'm going to say Smith left $4 million on the table. He easily gets +$4 million in Free Agency.

Dorion doing a great job. Boucher doing a great job. Players doing a great job.

I'm guessing this means they trade Dzingel for talent. He's gone in the protection draft.

Dzingel, White, 1st and you suddenly have a package you can get a star player with.

I wouldnt go that far yet. Probably seal Lazars fate though.

We protect right now:
Turris
Stone
Hoffman
Brassard
Pageau
Smith
Dzingel

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
Fantastic deal. One of the most valuable members of this team imo. He makes things tick.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
wow! What a super deal for the team!

I am going to have to eat a lot of crow on this one. I figured looking at some of the recent comparables that he might push 5 AAV as a UFA if he hit 20 again this year.

Great deal for us! And very happy to have him signed.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Like the deal, but I would have rather waited until after the expansion draft.

Me too, be really tough on Dorin to wait. If he waits, he risks losing him. Smith waits, he risks Injury. I'm sure both sides left a ton on the table, money for Smith and roster flexibility with Dorion - but in the end we have a great player on a sweet contract that plays Boucher's system perfectly.

And to say to the players, if you excel, we will make you secure in Ottawa to me is the real kicker here. Dorion has gotten sweet deals of Ceci, Smith, he mined the amazing contract of Brassard.

Dorion wth straight A's so far as GM, but his next moves over the next 2 months will be key. He has an eye on cheap contracts, I'm betting we get Landeskog just because that deal is sweet and the player has so much leadership, he seems to be what Ottawa is about right now.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I wouldnt go that far yet. Probably seal Lazars fate though.

We protect right now:
Turris
Stone
Hoffman
Brassard
Pageau
Smith
Dzingel

Mendes was throwing out comparbales the other day, they came to the conclusion that Smith signs for minimum $4 million. And when you see the comparables, it's hard to deny he left millions on the table. At least 2 million and probably closer to $4 Million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->