Player Discussion Zack Kassian

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Wouldn't surprise me if Kassian is back to drinking again. Doesn't look as lean as last year

edit: Actually nevermind. Bad assumption by me

Last edited:
Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Next, George Laraque story. In short a guy that got to the NHL by being the meanest toughest hombre that could knock somebodies head off with a punch. A guy that would fight a lot to get to the show. But at some point George became uncomfortable with the role, reflected a lot on the damage he was doing, started to be more and more a gentleman fighter only going if the other guy accepted going and pretty much saying **** like "are you sure"?

George got to the point where his discomfort with the role increased so much that the Oilers, and George were trying to make him into a player. Given a choice he didn't want to fight anymore. George was a great guy, perfect gentleman, and had a heart and a conscience. At some point he couldn't live in his skin doing things the same ways. Not that he was trying to avoid his job, or not being a hard worker. George would haul the Zamboni around the ice if the engine wasn't running.

George was sober, to my knowledge wasn't somebody with substance issues but at one point he had a huge chip on his shoulder, even some hate, and fighting was an outlet for that. When George continued to be a healthy person, and with NHL salary, less issues, concerns, he lost the edge, he became a different person. You could pretty much drag that bull to the ring and he didn't want to go anymore. It wasn't who he was anymore.

I just post this because theres a bit of parallels in all NHL toughs that one day find themselves. Lucic might be experiencing some of this as well. Its harder and harder for Lucic to get angry and it happens less often. Its hard even for the toughest, meanest, gunslingers to keep firing that gun. Its the Billy the Kid type syndrome. You reach a point where you'd rather get shot because you can't do it anymore.

food for thought

I really like this insight. I think Zack has lost some of his edge because of his contract, but not for the more malicious or manipulative reasons that many here like to suggest.

Last season was really his last chance to make it in the NHL. If he couldn't produce, he would have been gone. His career would have been over. So there were literally millions of dollars at stake.

This season those same pressures are gone. Do I think Kass is playing comfortable on purpose? No. Not at all.

Instead, I just think the motivation level has changed. To go from fighting for your professional career to having guaranteed money is a big change, and even with the best intentions it is very hard to replicate that motivation.

Same can be said for Lucic, although in his case I think age and speed are more of a factor.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Sobriety working out well for Kassian.
6595a606-ae31-4fa0-8e21-184a9dc223f6.png

de250858-4ff4-451d-bf39-f43654a1d265.png

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Good for him. Hope we see him playing up to his abilities again next season. We badly need it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe his poor play was because his fiancee was a pain in the ass to deal with on the details of the wedding. Could've worn the poor man down.

That shirt looks normal to most men, but I bet his fiancee had him look at 10 shirts that are very similar. Only a women could tell the difference in them

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Good for him. Hope we see him playing up to his abilities again next season. We badly need it.

Hi Zack! Haven’t seen you since the Sharks series! Congratulations!

- every Oilers fan

Maybe his poor play was because his fiancee was a pain in the ass to deal with on the details of the wedding. Could've worn the poor man down.

That shirt looks normal to most men, but I bet his fiancee had him look at 10 shirts that are very similar. Only a women could tell the difference in them

He probably got cut off the day after he got engaged. I expect a career year out of him now :naughty:

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
The Oilers would be ill-advised to trade Kassian. The return wouldn't be much and the Oilers need his speed and toughness. I suspect he has a bounce-back season.

Reactions: yukoner88

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
The Oilers would be ill-advised to trade Kassian. The return wouldn't be much and the Oilers need his speed and toughness. I suspect he has a bounce-back season.

I suspect they all do. Klefbom, Sekera, Lucic, Puju, Drai, Caggiula need a bounce back and I think they will. One must remember, TB and Winnipeg never made the playoffs the year before. We have a tough start but I have faith. It was a terrible sports year for myself. Im an Oiler and Packer fan and both were eliminated in November

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think for guys like Kassian and Lucic, it's tough to get engaged in the play and play a mean game if the team is floundering. It's tough to act all confident and mean when your team is getting smashed. Kassian will be back (I never thought he left personally) with a vengeance if this team can give him something to work with.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I think for guys like Kassian and Lucic, it's tough to get engaged in the play and play a mean game if the team is floundering. It's tough to act all confident and mean when your team is getting smashed. Kassian will be back (I never thought he left personally) with a vengeance if this team can give him something to work with.

Or if any time you push the boundaries you end skating from the penalty box to the player's bench before your 2 minutes are finished.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think they can play mean if the team is floundering as you put it. However, when the PK is complete and utter garbage I think mentally you now are careful as taking the penalty more than likely hurts your team.

Struds and Gregor talked about Kassian how early on he took a stupid penalty and then after that he just wasn't as engaged. Really needed a coach to sit him down and tell him don't worry about it.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
If he doesnt show up within the first month next season, waive his a***. He's been known for lazy lackadaisical hockey throughout his career.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
i think the biggest contributing factor with Kassian having a bad year was our horrendous penalty kill.

Kass couldn't play his game for fear of getting a penalty. With a PK running at historic lows he probably was reined in a bit by the coaching staff also.

If we can kill penalties at a league average Kassian can start running around and stiring the pot which will also get him into the game more. This will get opponents off their game and him on his game.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
i think the biggest contributing factor with Kassian having a bad year was our horrendous penalty kill.

Kass couldn't play his game for fear of getting a penalty. With a PK running at historic lows he probably was reined in a bit by the coaching staff also.

If we can kill penalties at a league average Kassian can start running around and stiring the pot which will also get him into the game more. This will get opponents off their game and him on his game.

Last season Kassian, Lucic, Maroon and Nurse all played tamer games than usual. The lack of a functioning PK had to have had something to do with that. Hopefully with a better PK we will see them start to play a more physical brand of hockey (all except Maroon of course).

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Poor excuse. Kassian mailed it in last year from day one, long before the Oilers were out of it. Dude didn't score a goal for nearly 2 months to start the year. Pure garbage all season. Played like a guy who got his contract and knew he was set for three years.

Kassian's shit play falls squarely on his shoulders. Not the team being out of it, not the penalty kill. 100% Kassian.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I think we are being to harsh on Kass. I'll admit to loving this player but I saw plenty of effort. Its 2018 and his game doesn't translate as good as it did before. His brutal style of physicality results in penalties, I imagine it's hard on the confidence to take a penalty and blame yourself for a goal that the PK let in. Makes you stop playing your game and play more conservatively. He had a lot of chances, lots got called back or hit the post. Still think he's exactly what we need in the bottom 6, just needs the confidence back up, it'll come with team success. He's a complimentary role player not an all star, when he has the right linemates and is in the right environment he'll thrive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad