Prospect Info: Zachary Fucale

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Can be translated as "all the guys I like have DRIVE, all the guys I don't like don't have DRIVE".

This is all this kind of analysis boils down to, it's just a way of bashing players you don't like.

And people have already mentioned DD, but the idea that PAP doesn't have "drive" is a huge joke. He was a 26 year old AHLer, if he didn't have the drive to make the NHL he would have given up a LONG time ago.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Fucale is fine. He shut down the Russians and made the big stops when needed. And you have to give credit where it's due...the Russians played very well to come back. It wasn't a bad Fucale that let the Russians back into the game...team Canada was HORRIBLE during that span.

Agreed. You can argue one was a bad rebound, but he's 19. Remember when Carey Price would give bad rebounds too? I remember his first few years with Melanson, he'd simply kick everything to the corners. Now he has a proper coach and he holds on to every puck, and look at the difference.

Fucale has the athleticism and demeanor. He just needs the proper coaching. The good thing is the team doesn't need to rely on him, he's just a good insurance policy and they can take their time with him.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Agreed. You can argue one was a bad rebound, but he's 19. Remember when Carey Price would give bad rebounds too? I remember his first few years with Melanson, he'd simply kick everything to the corners. Now he has a proper coach and he holds on to every puck, and look at the difference.

Fucale has the athleticism and demeanor. He just needs the proper coaching. The good thing is the team doesn't need to rely on him, he's just a good insurance policy and they can take their time with him.

When you kick out a rebound you want to angle them to the corners away from the front of the net that is the proper way to handle a rebound his issue is he has no control over his rebounds and they usually end up in the danger zone back in front of the net and that is not a good showing of rebound control. These are the things that are taught to goalies from a young age and they should have a decent grasp of by the time they hit JR hockey.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
When you kick out a rebound you want to angle them to the corners away from the front of the net that is the proper way to handle a rebound his issue is he has no control over his rebounds and they usually end up in the danger zone back in front of the net and that is not a good showing of rebound control. These are the things that are taught to goalies from a young age and they should have a decent grasp of by the time they hit JR hockey.

They don't "usually end up in the danger zone", lol. Take it from those who actually "usually" watch him. What a horrible exaggeration. Not that he's super-dee-dooper about it, but they "usually" go to the corners/glass, within his reach, or straight to teammates. I'm bet most people would comment on his rebound control couldn't even name 5, no, 3 CHL goalies who handle them better, let alone support the argument.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
They don't "usually end up in the danger zone", lol. Take it from those who actually "usually" watch him. What a horrible exaggeration. Not that he's super-dee-dooper about it, but they "usually" go to the corners/glass, within his reach, or straight to teammates. I'm bet most people would comment on his rebound control couldn't even name 5, no, 3 CHL goalies who handle them better, let alone support the argument.

Let me see well one that comes to mind that plays in the W is Jarry he has a good handle on his rebound control Comrie in his showing had better rebound control than Fucale did. Gibson not that he is in JR anymore but when he played for the Rangers he had great rebound control as you can see that is three right there need I go on?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He is a long term project with solid upside! He can handle the pressure but his numbers have continues to decline for a good while now. I think he get traded before he dons the CH.
With Price entering his prime, Fucale has little to no future in Montreal. Hopefully MB can leverage him in a trade down the road

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Let me see well one that comes to mind that plays in the W is Jarry he has a good handle on his rebound control Comrie in his showing had better rebound control than Fucale did. Gibson not that he is in JR anymore but when he played for the Rangers he had great rebound control as you can see that is three right there need I go on?

Yes, because I won't grant you Comrie (equal at best - for any notch you give him for absorption, you have to take one for directing ability), and like you said, Gibson isn't in the CHL.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
He is a long term project with solid upside! He can handle the pressure but his numbers have continues to decline for a good while now. I think he get traded before he dons the CH.
With Price entering his prime, Fucale has little to no future in Montreal. Hopefully MB can leverage him in a trade down the road

Umm, the kid, our prospect, made it to the FINALS of the greatest tournament he could ever imagine to participate in. At the age of 19. As a goalie.

By the time a "long term" project, 19 year old goalie no less (LMFAO), matures in to the NHL, Carey Price will be in his late 30's.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Yes, because I won't grant you Comrie (equal at best - for any notch you give him for absorption, you have to take one for directing ability), and like you said, Gibson isn't in the CHL.

Well Patterson as an overager is one then who has very good rebound control Comrie was far better directing pucks to the corner in every game I saw him play in the tournament especially in the US game. I would also take the Frontenacs tender Lucas Peressini. Also take Appleby from Oshawa.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Fucale could be another Fuhr type to me. Fucale suppose to have tremendous will to win and after Waite has worked with him for a couple of years could be a good one. However, if we can get a good return I would move him. We are set in net for future and believe there are Ben Bishops, Andersons, or Tim Thomas types toiling in minor leagues now. Condon may be one of them.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Well Patterson as an overager is one then who has very good rebound control Comrie was far better directing pucks to the corner in every game I saw him play in the tournament especially in the US game. I would also take the Frontenacs tender Lucas Peressini. Also take Appleby from Oshawa.

Paterson, and his "very good" rebound control, doesn't do anything better than Fucale - and that includes control rebounds. He'll look great at it in practice, and then you see him over-playing shots and dropping into that butterfly too automatically during actual games, and he loses a bit of control when he "shouldn't". These are the same things that affected Price's rebound control in the early days, too, mind you. And while Peressini is a good, hard-working goalie, he's still described as "raw" - and that includes HIS rebound control. You could have done worse than picking two Red Wing camp invitees, though.

As for Appleby, well, he's pretty huge which is good for absorbing pucks. He's good at a lot of stuff, actually. I might have to give you him, because we're kind of just seeing what he's capable of now that a goalie who set franchise records is out of his way. Passed over in two drafts (which is usually a red flag for things like fundamentals), but most recently has impressed at a couple of NHL camps and is tearing it up. Maybe his coordination and strength are catching up to his size. I bet if you watched video of him two years ago, and video of him today, you'd almost think you were watching two different goalies. We'll see how far the chip on his shoulder from getting ignored for so long takes him.

Comrie, again, I'm not going to give you that one. Good fundamentals, and probably at about the same level overall when it comes to preventing and dealing with rebounds, but nothing I've seen from him puts him ahead of Fucale in any of the "detail skills". I don't see how you could get such a glowing impression from anything he did this tournament to begin with, though.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Nothing I saw from Comrie during the tournament made me think he was better than Fucale at anything. You wouldn't get that from reading the comments on Hfboards though. Fucale coughs up some rebounds against Finland, and it's all people are talking about. Comrie gives up a real beach ball against the U.S. and looks very weak on their second goal, and people are talking about his rebound control. I'll worry about rebounds when he can make the first save. Then, Fucale exhibits excellent rebound control and makes a few very good saves against Denmark's top players, and the hfboards hivemind fails to adjust because it's ''Denmark.''

Zach didn't do as well as I'd hoped at the WJC, but at the end of the day, he got the first Canadian gold in a very long time. Goalies take a long time to develop, and lucky for him, we're in no rush.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Fucale could be another Fuhr type to me. Fucale suppose to have tremendous will to win and after Waite has worked with him for a couple of years could be a good one. However, if we can get a good return I would move him. We are set in net for future and believe there are Ben Bishops, Andersons, or Tim Thomas types toiling in minor leagues now. Condon may be one of them.

The Habs finally have depth in the goaltending department. Gone are the days of Robert Mayer and Peter Delmas. The Habs finally have three good young goalies in Tokarski,Fucale and Condon who is really the surprise out of the three. Will they all play big roles some day for the Habs? No but at worst they can be use some trade bait and in the meantime they provide some nice depth behind Price.

Link's up now for Fucale's Mooseheads farewell video:

A great tribute to someone who has played a big part of the Mooseheads success over the last 3 seasons. That 2012 run couldn't have happened without Fucale stepping it up against Quebec during the final 4 games of that series. He's only 19 but the experiences he has had is something few his age at his position can lay claim to.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
We once had this goalie named Roy that looked like hot garbage when he was young. Pretty incredible how he turned out. Goalies are a strange breed hard to tell how any will turn out.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Please. You guys didn't see the Halifax vs. Val d'Or in the playoffs 2014. World juniors weren't remotely concerning

Game 1 - 4 Goals against on 22 shots, 0.818 sv %
Game 2 - 4 Goals against on 19 shots, 0.789 sv%
Game 3- 3 Goals against on 4 shots, 0.25 sv% with a GAA of 51.92.
Game 4- Benched. Kevin Darveau won the game for his team by being average. Who? Exactly.
Game 5- 3 GA on 25 shots. Played average enough to win behind stacked Halifax team.
Game 6- 5 Goals against on 22 shots, 0.773 sv%
Game 7- 3 GA on 16 shots. Including an un-screened dump in from the blue line. Wasn't even a shot, player was dumping the puck to go change.

I've never seen a goalie lose a series like that all by himself.

EDIT--

THAT being said. I don't want to crap on the kid too much because of it. He's bounced back. I think that's part of why scouts like him so much, he is mentally tough and he will be missed in Hali, despite the 2014 playoffs.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Wow do some Habs fans love to rip apart our own prospects before they have even graduated to the pros. Give the dude a chance, he ain't going to be in the nets at the Bell Centre any time soon, he will have time to learn in the minors and I for one am hoping for the best.

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
Wow do some Habs fans love to rip apart our own prospects before they have even graduated to the pros. Give the dude a chance, he ain't going to be in the nets at the Bell Centre any time soon, he will have time to learn in the minors and I for one am hoping for the best.

Yesterday I checked Koberstein's thread... he's a bust. I checked Fucale. He's a disappointment, a future bust. Trade him now. I checked De La Rose. No offense, a bust. I checked Lehkonen, he's a bust.

I then added them all to my now 2000+ ignored threads. I don't like ignoring posters, but ignoring threads has made the board way more tolerable over the last years.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Yesterday I checked Koberstein's thread... he's a bust. I checked Fucale. He's a disappointment, a future bust. Trade him now. I checked De La Rose. No offense, a bust. I checked Lehkonen, he's a bust.

I then added them all to my now 2000+ ignored threads. I don't like ignoring posters, but ignoring threads has made the board way more tolerable over the last years.

And believe or not, it's far more likely that all of those guys turn out to be busts than not. I think every one wishes Fucale to succeed for the good of the team. But the fact a lot of people think he's not going to amount to much isn't hating on the guy for the sake of hating.

savard95

May 9, 2014
Montréal
Please. You guys didn't see the Halifax vs. Val d'Or in the playoffs 2014. World juniors weren't remotely concerning

Game 1 - 4 Goals against on 22 shots, 0.818 sv %
Game 2 - 4 Goals against on 19 shots, 0.789 sv%
Game 3- 3 Goals against on 4 shots, 0.25 sv% with a GAA of 51.92.
Game 4- Benched. Kevin Darveau won the game for his team by being average. Who? Exactly.
Game 5- 3 GA on 25 shots. Played average enough to win behind stacked Halifax team.
Game 6- 5 Goals against on 22 shots, 0.773 sv%
Game 7- 3 GA on 16 shots. Including an un-screened dump in from the blue line. Wasn't even a shot, player was dumping the puck to go change.

I've never seen a goalie lose a series like that all by himself.

EDIT--

THAT being said. I don't want to crap on the kid too much because of it. He's bounced back. I think that's part of why scouts like him so much, he is mentally tough and he will be missed in Hali, despite the 2014 playoffs.

His team was playing like hot garbage too. Fucale benefitted from playing behind stacked team his whole Q career.

But still, every great team has a great goaler. His CV is quite amazing. He has a shot at being the 1st goaltender in the Q in terms of wins. I'm not sure where he'll end up in the future, but remember he's only 19 and goalies development is way different than a players one.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
His team was playing like hot garbage too. Fucale benefitted from playing behind stacked team his whole Q career.

But still, every great team has a great goaler. His CV is quite amazing. He has a shot at being the 1st goaltender in the Q in terms of wins. I'm not sure where he'll end up in the future, but remember he's only 19 and goalies development is way different than a players one.

His team didnt play stifling D but he put them behind the ball in every game he played. Like the other post said he was letting in unscreened floaters on dump ins and stuff like that. Does that mean anything for the future, not really since he got it back together this season. Some people say he was burnt out, others say it was because he got wind of trade talk with Quebec that started at the end of last season.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar

Hmm, I don't find myself interpreting any of those threads that way. There are some posters who bring criticisms (some legitimate, some less so), and some who point out the positives as well. Overall, I don't see a lot of blind pessimism, maybe more of a slant to optimism in general with regards to prospects, here and basically everywhere on HF. :dunno:

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
Hmm, I don't find myself interpreting any of those threads that way. There are some posters who bring criticisms (some legitimate, some less so), and some who point out the positives as well. Overall, I don't see a lot of blind pessimism, maybe more of a slant to optimism in general with regards to prospects, here and basically everywhere on HF. :dunno:

Perhaps true, I think I just realize what I want from HFBoards is much different and that's totally fine. I just come here more for news and such since I don't feel like scouring multiple websites and reading tons of Habs articles all over the place, so I'm more interested in the facts and discussing the present. Most people want more than that, so I get that more speculation results which I find comes across just silly and pointless conjecture or really unwarranted confidence based on the most limited of information. That's why I end up ignoring a thread once its clear the 'news' has stopped and it becomes more discussion of the players future often based on stats or just first impressions that never change, etc cause I'm just more of a wait and see type who likes knowing what is happening now, if that makes sense.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
We once had this goalie named Roy that looked like hot garbage when he was young. Pretty incredible how he turned out. Goalies are a strange breed hard to tell how any will turn out.

Its probably best to evaluate the physical and athletic tools in his arsenal at this stage.

If he has a good base, then he has a chance at refining those tools and make it work.

I see a very raw asset in fucale, but I wouldn't dare to draw any conclusions at this point. Like you said, goaltending is a totally different position, and in many cases, requires more patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad