Zachary Fucale

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
What do you guys think of getting a goalie at this years draft. If we are out of the playoff picture come trade deadline, hopefully they trade some vets for picks and we get another first round pick(possibly out of hanisey teams might pay that). And we use ours to draft a centre and use the other to get Zach.

Bob Mckenzie has him at 22.

www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9842

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
What do you guys think of getting a goalie at this years draft. If we are out of the playoff picture come trade deadline, hopefully they trade some vets for picks and we get another first round pick(possibly out of hanisey teams might pay that). And we use ours to draft a centre and use the other to get Zach.

Bob Mckenzie has him at 22.

www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9842

Craig Button has him in the top 10 but it is Craig Button.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Craig Button has him in the top 10 but it is Craig Button.

Craig Button spends a lot of time scouting these guys. As far as his draft rankings are concerned he's been pretty bang on the last couple of years.

He is the top ranked goalie in this years draft and I won't be surprised he's taken fairly early considering a team's needs.

SiouxPride

Dec 26, 2006
WINNIPEG!
Besides, I dont see why we need a goalie, and I don't think it would be THAT hard to acquire a young goalie prospect from a team who might have one expendable. Pav is our number 1 for the future.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Besides, I dont see why we need a goalie, and I don't think it would be THAT hard to acquire a young goalie prospect from a team who might have one expendable. Pav is our number 1 for the future.

Agreed the goalies in our system are doing quite well this year. Pasquale is having a strong year in the AHL and our college trio is off toa great start with Kasdorf winninggoalie of the week for his cconference.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Jets invested in Pavs for the future.

From reading the thread after last nights game with the Leafs about how Pavelec can be beaten glove and all the stuff, I thought we could use another a top goalie prospect.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Not a fan of drafting goalies in thee first round

Agreed. Not a fan of using a first on a goalie, really not a fan of using a high first, and really really not a fan of using a high first on a goalie in a draft with supposedly so much high end forward and D talent.

Of course if he comes in and gives us a Brodeur like career it's all fine and dandy. :sarcasm:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I'd be ok with it. Goalies drafted in the first round usually end up being studs, except Fleury. Even DP was awesome except all his injuries.

Price, Luongo, Brodeur, Schneider....pretty good company.

That being said, I could see the Jets wanting another first rd pick to get him... But I could also see them not worrying about it.

Either way I'd be cool with it. You can get an all star goalie with a later pick anyways.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Goalies take a long time to develop. If you think Pavelic isn't a winner, drafting a goalie isn't the way to replace to him.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Goalies take a long time to develop. If you think Pavelic isn't a winner, drafting a goalie isn't the way to replace to him.

Agreed. IMO it is much better to pursue a goalie via trade or free agency. If you can trade a Brian Elliot for a Craig Anderson, even better.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Agreed. IMO it is much better to pursue a goalie via trade or free agency. If you can trade a Brian Elliot for a Craig Anderson, even better.

No thanks to Elliott. He's be lit up in our current system. He didnt post above a .909 until he got St. Louis and their heavy D first system.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
If the organization wants to add another quality goalie to the system, they should sign free agent Eric Hartzell. He is 23 years old and currently has a 19 - 2 - 4 recored with a .936 save % with Quinnipiac of the ECAC.

I'd prefer this than burning a pick in the first 3 rounds on one. Although I wouldn't mind McAdam or Hogberg from this draft. McAdam is unlikely to still be available by round 5 though.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I'd be ok with it. Goalies drafted in the first round usually end up being studs, except Fleury. Even DP was awesome except all his injuries.

That being said, I could see the Jets wanting another first rd pick to get him... But I could also see them not worrying about it.

Either way I'd be cool with it. You can get an all star goalie with a later pick anyways.

...sully usually we agree but.....starting in 1995- 2008...

JS GIGeur
martin biron
Brian boucher
marc denis
craig hillier
JF damphousse
mika noronen
roberto luongo
patrick esrocher
mathie choinard
brian finley
maxime oullett
ari ahonen
rick dipetro
brent krahn
pascal leclair
dan blackburn
json bacasihihua
adam munro
kari lehtonen
cam ward
hannu toivonen
MA F
cory schneider
marek schwarz
devan dubnyk
Al montoya
carey price
tuukka rask

leland irving
semyon varlamov
riku helenius
jonathan bernier
chet pickard
tom mccollum

....that's 10 of 36 that have become as good as pavelec, never mind top end. I see maybe 5 guys i would call "studs" in Rask, Price, Ward, Lehtonen, and Luongo... thats a piss poor success rate. i'd rather use a first on a forward and every other pick on a goaly.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If Jets scouts and management feel Fucale has the ability and make-up to develop into an elite goalie in the NHL, then I have no issues selecting him in the first round.

My preference would be with another 1st rd pick acquired via trade, and use our own pick (which seems to be getting higher all the time) on a forward. I'm not as concerned with our d prospects, as I am at forward. Other than Scheifele, I don't see a potential top 6 guy in the bunch. Lowry and Kosmo have top 9 ability (imo), but other than that, not much.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

First Round Goalies since 1995

13 Hartford Whalers Jean-Sebastien Giguere
16 Buffalo Sabres Martin Biron
22 Philadelphia Flyers Brian Boucher
25 Colorado Avalanche Marc Denis

23 Pittsburgh Penguins Craig Hillier

4 New York Islanders Roberto Luongo
21 Buffalo Sabres Mika Noronen
24 New Jersey Devils Jean-Francois Damphousse

14 Phoenix Coyotes Patrick DesRochers
15 Ottawa Senators Mathieu Chouinard

6 Nashville Predators Brian Finley
22 Philadelphia Flyers Maxime Ouellet
27 New Jersey Devils Ari Ahonen

1 New York Islanders Rick DiPietro
9 Calgary Flames Brent Krahn

8 Columbus Blue Jackets Pascal Leclaire
10 New York Rangers Dan Blackburn
26 Dallas Stars Jason Bacashihua
29 Chicago Blackhawks Adam Munro

2 Atlanta Thrashers Kari Lehtonen
25 Carolina Hurricanes Cam Ward
29 Boston Bruins Hannu Toivonen

1 Pittsburgh Penguins Marc-Andre Fleury

6 New York Rangers Al Montoya
14 Edmonton Oilers Devan Dubnyk
17 St. Louis Blues Marek Schwarz
26 Vancouver Canucks Cory Schneider

5 Montreal Canadiens Carey Price
21 Toronto Maple Leafs Tuukka Rask

11 Los Angeles Kings Jonathan Bernier
15 Tampa Bay Lightning Riku Helenius
23 Washington Capitals Semyon Varlamov
26 Calgary Flames Leland Irving

There has been some success recently, but I wouldn't say 1st round goalies or even the top goalie in the draft is often a stud.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
...sully usually we agree but.....starting in 1995- 2008...

JS GIGeur
martin biron
Brian boucher
marc denis
craig hillier
JF damphousse
mika noronen
roberto luongo
patrick esrocher
mathie choinard
brian finley
maxime oullett
ari ahonen
rick dipetro
brent krahn
pascal leclair
dan blackburn
json bacasihihua
adam munro
kari lehtonen
cam ward
hannu toivonen
MA F
cory schneider
marek schwarz
devan dubnyk
Al montoya
carey price
tuukka rask

leland irving
semyon varlamov
riku helenius
jonathan bernier
chet pickard
tom mccollum

....that's 10 of 36 that have become as good as pavelec, never mind top end. I see maybe 5 guys i would call "studs" in Rask, Price, Ward, Lehtonen, and Luongo... thats a piss poor success rate. i'd rather use a first on a forward and every other pick on a goaly.
You beat me.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The best way to get a world class goalie is to hire Ken Hithcock as your coach. Works every time.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
It's scary to note that Pavelec is signed till 2017 with an annual cap hit of almost 4m, in his last year he's making almost 5m in salary. I still think it was a bit of a mistake signing him on potential. What the Jets should have done was extend him a 2 year offer as a try-out and work on a contract according to his play in those two years. Maybe there was a stigma that the Jets can't retain top talent so ownership wanted to get a longterm deal done? Who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->