Recalled/Assigned: Zach Sill re-assigned to WBS

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
And I even disagree with that. For as worthless as those guys are, Sill's BEST CASE scenario is being what those guys are now.

I completely disagree. He's already a significantly better player than those guys are. He can do everything those guys can plus he's fast, he brings energy, and he brings an agitating element that we are missing.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
And I even disagree with that. For as worthless as those guys are, Sill's BEST CASE scenario is being what those guys are now.

His best case scenario is having the JOB Adams does.
He is currently a better player, no doubt. He just doesn't have the "two time cup winner and players union rep" pedigree. It is what it is.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I completely disagree. He's already a significantly better player than those guys are. He can do everything those guys can plus he's fast, he brings energy, and he brings an agitating element that we are missing.

Ok. We'll agree to disagree, and I recognize that I'm in the minority...but the guy has played highly sheltered minutes 5x5 and still has among the worst Corsi/Fenwick ratings of anyone in the NHL. The fact he's fast and energetic doesn't mean he's been effective.

This is, to me, a classic example of the mentality that causes everyone to love the backup QB...sometimes, actually often, the backup QB is a backup for a reason, and just because the starter sucks it doesn't mean the backup is better.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA

Sill has already played better than any of those guys this year. you don't have to love the guy to see that. it's not like anyone who thinks "Sill > Gladamsew" is a major Zach Sill fanboy.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Ok. We'll agree to disagree, and I recognize that I'm in the minority...but the guy has played highly sheltered minutes 5x5 and still has among the worst Corsi/Fenwick ratings of anyone in the NHL. The fact he's fast and energetic doesn't mean he's been effective.

This is, to me, a classic example of the mentality that causes everyone to love the backup QB...sometimes, actually often, the backup QB is a backup for a reason, and just because the starter sucks it doesn't mean the backup is better.

I don't really think that using advanced stats for a fourth liner who's linemates were the worst players in the NHL is an accurate or fair measure.

I don't see it as the backup QB situation. Sill and Adams played alongside each other. It was pretty apparent who the better and more effective player was.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Sill has already played better than any of those guys this year. you don't have to love the guy to see that. it's not like anyone who thinks "Sill > Gladamsew" is a major Zach Sill fanboy.

And you don't have to be Glass/Adams/Kobasew supporter to disagree that Sill has been better than they are. They all stink.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
I don't mind this move in particular, but man is our bottom 6 - and particularly our 4th line - a complete mess. Injuries aside, we seem immune to the idea that guys should be *competing* for these spots. I can't think of another team with more competition in the bottom 6 that wouldn't have scratched an Adams or a Glass at least ONCE IN THE LAST TWO SEASONS. Those guys are literally scratch-proof and it blows my mind.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

I guarantee you that Sill's advanced stats would look better than Adams and Glass if you corrected the latter two's numbers for their (not infrequent) shifts with our superior players.

If you look back to the beginning of the season, Vitale was below Gladams in Corsi/Fenwick numbers. After the injury debacle and his time on further up the lineup he is now a ahead. Same reason Kobasew is much higher. Same reason Sutter is much lower than usual, because he has been carrying... well.... not very good players all season.

Even the same reason Malkin has been picking up big time on this score. Linemates matter a lot.

And no, ultimately I do not disagree that Sill is not a player to concern oneself with too much, but I do think it is bizarre not to notice that his individual performance level has been a ways higher than you know who's.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I remember when people told me we were stupid to let Jeffrey go because of advanced stats.

Yep.

Sill's better than Glass/Adams, but thems the vet breaks.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
So we have a line's worth of incredibly horrible players who do nothing and Sill gets sent down instead of getting rid of one of them. Great, that's how you win cups.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I remember when people told me we were stupid to let Jeffrey go because of advanced stats.

Yep.

Sill's better than Glass/Adams, but thems the vet breaks.

The guy is the less talented version of Vitale for Gods sake, the fact that anyone cares is more interesting that the topic itself. Sure he is faster and tougher than Glasand Adams but is alos less reliable reading the play and (i cant believe im saying this) actually has less puck skills. Now with some experience and refinement he could be a better version of these two but its harldy life or death. He will likely get plenty of chances between now and next year especially if Vitale and Glass leave.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Zach Sill with his zero points is going to be sadly missed, yes he's a little physical and decent on the forecheck but I don't see him as a everyday NHL player.

Another point, yes Craig Adams sucks 5 on 5, but can we at least admit he does a good job on the PK?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Zach Sill with his zero points is going to be sadly missed, yes he's a little physical and decent on the forecheck but I don't see him as a everyday NHL player.

Another point, yes Craig Adams sucks 5 on 5, but can we at least admit he does a good job on the PK?

Ill give Sill this he also looked good on the PK. Limited sample but he did look good.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I think Sill showed he's an NHL'er. Very good PK guy, very physical. He sucks offensively but so do most 4th liners. I think he at least showed management that he can be a cheap replacement for one of Glass or Vitale if one of those guys leave in UFA this summer. For now he'll get the short end of the stick because he doesn't need waivers to go down to WBS.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I think Sill showed he's an NHL'er. Very good PK guy, very physical. He sucks offensively but so do most 4th liners. I think he at least showed management that he can be a cheap replacement for one of Glass or Vitale if one of those guys leave in UFA this summer. For now he'll get the short end of the stick because he doesn't need waivers to go down to WBS.

I think that about sums it up.

Michael8771*

Sill's a serviceable player but sending him down isn't a big deal. Also, I saw him on his stint on ''in the room'' or at least a little bit of it. He's a bit obnoxious for my taste. That rah rah attitude can wear thin.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The advanced stats for Sill should be thrown out the window when most of his linemates were a healthy dose of Glass/Adams.

More effective physically than Glass/Adams. Just as good or even a better PK'er than Glass. Actually generated some SH'ed chances off his work.

Waiving Kobasew and keeping Sill on board would be a no-brainer for me. Then i'd waive Tanner Glass later to keep him on the roster but thats just me.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
If you honestly can't see that Sill is a better hockey player than Adams, Glass, and Kobasew.. Then go get some glasses or something. Has anybody even watched him PK?? The hell are we all seeing?? He can actually pressure opposing players and take the puck unlike Adams.

Megna IN the top 6 and Sill IN the bottom 6 make this team a better one. As does Despres as one of the 6 D. It's so frustrating. The pieces are there!!! We refuse to acknowledge that and continue to play awful players instead of the right ones.

Fire Shero*

Sill has looked pretty average at best. As usual, I don't understand the praise for him.

Is he better than Adams and Kobasew? Yes. But he is just another redundant 4th liner in this organization. I think Vitale is significantly better and he's just a solid 4th liner.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
If you honestly can't see that Sill is a better hockey player than Adams, Glass, and Kobasew.. Then go get some glasses or something. Has anybody even watched him PK?? The hell are we all seeing?? He can actually pressure opposing players and take the puck unlike Adams.

The fact that people can't even acknowledge that Adams and Glass are good penalty killers is absurd. They are 2 of the top 3 forwards on the BEST PK UNIT IN THE LEAGUE. They suck out loud at even strength, but the hyperbole is ridiculous.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not trying to come down on you, here... but I'll just never really understand the notion of being impressed with penalty killing. Like... when you go down a list of a player's pros and cons and you find the latter field filled up and the former with just "penalty killing" under it... it should never, ever be some sort of golden ticket to exoneration of otherwise horrendous play.

It's eminently teachable. It isn't like some sort of skill or god-given trait that only a small cadre of players, league-wide, posses. You have to want to do it, I suppose. Stepping in front of a Subban slapshot is no joke, after all. But I figure most of these guys don't lack much in willingness or they wouldn't be here.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I'm not trying to come down on you, here... but I'll just never really understand the notion of being impressed with penalty killing. Like... when you go down a list of a player's pros and cons and you find the latter field filled up and the former with just "penalty killing" under it... it should never, ever be some sort of golden ticket to exoneration of otherwise horrendous play.

It's eminently teachable. It isn't like some sort of skill or god-given trait that only a small cadre of players, league-wide, posses. You have to want to do it, I suppose. Stepping in front of a Subban slapshot is no joke, after all. But I figure most of these guys don't lack much in willingness or they wouldn't be here.

If you're suggesting that I'm an apologist for Adams and Glass, you're barking up the wrong tree. I've repeatedly said they stink. I just took issue with the suggestion that they haven't been good on the PK. Regardless of how valuable or teachable it is, they've done it well.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No, not at all. I doubt Adams and Glass have many (if any) defenders left, at this point.

It's just one of those things I see mentioned a lot and I happened to respond to this post regarding it. And yeah... for the record... Adams and Glass are good on the Penguins penalty kill. But I don't really think they'd be missed, either.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

I agree to an extent, but I think there are elite penalty killers. I think Matt Cooke is one. I think Dupuis' penalty killing is great too. But yeah, Adams and Glass block shots. That doesn't impress me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad