Zach Redmond - UFA

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
We lost an asset with next to no value for nothing. An asset that Chevy tried to sign. This isn't Hainsey we're talking about, a guy who had been in the league for years and was a quality D-man. We're talking about a 26 year old D-man who has never had an NHL spot, and didn't show enough to be played in front of Ellerby, Pardy or Postma.

Meh.

To be fair, having his leg cut like it was set him back substantially. I know it's only my opinion, but just prior to the injury I thought he'd passed Postma in value. Same overall style, but I thought Redmond had better hockey sense. That injury knocked him back a long way; it's also what allowed Redmond to become a UFA rather than RFA because he didn't play enough games. I think he'd have gotten in the time if he hadn't been hurt.

Redmond chose more playing time, that's all.

I do agree though, the return on Redmond at the deadline last year would have been minimal, if anything at all. This doesn't hurt the Jets really.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I wish him the best of luck. I think he will turn a few heads in Colorado.

I remember his first goal vs Toronto. Second ever NHL game I ever saw. The crowd exploded. He will have quite the story one day.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
To be fair, having his leg cut like it was set him back substantially. I know it's only my opinion, but just prior to the injury I thought he'd passed Postma in value. Same overall style, but I thought Redmond had better hockey sense. That injury knocked him back a long way; it's also what allowed Redmond to become a UFA rather than RFA because he didn't play enough games. I think he'd have gotten in the time if he hadn't been hurt.

Redmond chose more playing time, that's all.

I do agree though, the return on Redmond at the deadline last year would have been minimal, if anything at all. This doesn't hurt the Jets really.

Agree with this. His garish leg injury set him back some and allowed him to get to UFA.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting Postma vs Reds debate. I have usually been back and forth on it but I will admit last spring when Postma played a good stretch with Toby (who tends to make everyone better) I saw the light. I thought Paul looked very good playing to his strengths with confidence. The fact he got the extended look told me PMo saw the same thing Noel and company saw when they elevated Posty on the one way deal.

Both guys are at the age now though where its time.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Redmond and Kulda lost in two consecutive summers. They'll never be all-star, Norris-winning defensemen, but can you honestly say they'd be worse than the likes of Adam Pardy, Keaton Ellerby, Grant Clitsome, Derek Meech or Mark Flood?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I actually think Redmond's injury sort of extended his lease with the Jets. Prior to the injury he actually hadn't been playing very well and was about to be sent back down iirc. Then the injury happened, and over time there was a minor re-write of history regarding what he'd been doing just prior to the injury. I was never all that impressed with him anytime he was up with the Jets. Mostly just meh...at times he looked OK, but mostly didn't really do much.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I always liked Redmond and wouldn't be surprised at all to see him do well in Colorado. To me, I would rather him over Pardy or Postma, but that's just my personal preference.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Redmond and Kulda lost in two consecutive summers. They'll never be all-star, Norris-winning defensemen, but can you honestly say they'd be worse than the likes of Adam Pardy, Keaton Ellerby, Grant Clitsome, Derek Meech or Mark Flood?

Redmond is a solid, if unspectacular, D and I wish him well. But good teams with full pipelines lose players at the bottom of their depth charts all the time. This is a positive reflection of the Jets depth at RHD and a great opportunity for Redmond.
The only reason people are fretting about this is that we are not used to it, having had such shallow pool of players for most of the Jets' 2.0 existence.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
You just called the Jets "a good team" with a "full pipeline". Almost fell out of my chair...

While we may not be a good team yet, I don't see what is so funny about a "full pipeline".

If you ask me, we have a great group of prospects. We have guys in the system that look like they may be able to step in soon and fill most of our holes in the roster from 4th line guys (Lipon, Lowry) to top 9 guys (Petan, Ehlers), defenders (Morrissey, Glover) and two, well three goaltenders in Hutch, Comrie and Hellebuyck.

The Jets have great prospect depth in my opinion.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
You just called the Jets "a good team" with a "full pipeline". Almost fell out of my chair...

Umm, not exactly.
The "good teams with full pipelines" are the Chicagos and LAs. The Jets are full at RHD and only at RHD, so this is a new phenomenon for us. Chevy's waiver wire selections are more what we have been used to. But, as the draft and develop plan bears fruit, expect to see fewer waiver wire pickups and more players like Redmond scooped up by teams without depth.
That's progress.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
We lost an asset with next to no value for nothing. An asset that Chevy tried to sign. This isn't Hainsey we're talking about, a guy who had been in the league for years and was a quality D-man. We're talking about a 26 year old D-man who has never had an NHL spot, and didn't show enough to be played in front of Ellerby, Pardy or Postma.

Meh.

Still should have been able to get a pick for him if they were on top of things.. It's not like it was all of a sudden a surprise that they had too many D men in the system. They knew all last year that he was to be a UFA and someone would have to be dealt or lost on waivers if signed. Evidently the fact that he did get a contract shows that there was interest and therefore should have and could have been dealt at some point IMO rather than lose him for nothing.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Still should have been able to get a pick for him if they were on top of things.. It's not like it was all of a sudden a surprise that they had too many D men in the system. They knew all last year that he was to be a UFA and someone would have to be dealt or lost on waivers if signed. Evidently the fact that he did get a contract shows that there was interest and therefore should have and could have been dealt at some point IMO rather than lose him for nothing.

I'll ask it here as well. How much are you willing to see Chevy pony up for Taylor Fedun at next year's deadline?

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
I'll ask it here as well. How much are you willing to see Chevy pony up for Taylor Fedun at next year's deadline?

Taylor Fedun is not Zach Redmond. Redmond has always been one of our better prospects in the A and played decent with the Jets when called up. Not to mention that he tore it up in the Calder run.

Fedun has spent the majority of his time in the ECHL and was never even drafted...

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Pending UFA with little NHL experience= no trade value.

Would you rather our callup D last season be Chiarot or Melchiori, or have maybe a 7th round pick if Redmond re-signs with the team he was traded to in the hypothetical?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Taylor Fedun is not Zach Redmond. Redmond has always been one of our better prospects in the A and played decent with the Jets when called up. Not to mention that he tore it up in the Calder run.

Fedun has spent the majority of his time in the ECHL and was never even drafted...

At the point of this past trade deadline, Zach Redmond was a good AHL player born in 1988 who was unable to crack a bad team's D corps and was becoming a UFA shortly.

Taylor Fedun is a good AHL player born in 1988 who is unable to crack a bad team's D corps and is becoming a UFA shortly.

What does it matter if Redmond tore it up in the Calder run? It has no affect what so ever on his perceived value before the trade deadline!

So, what do you think Chevy should trade for Taylor Fedun next March?

AriIQ

Jan 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Zach Redmond is in the prime of his career (he's 26); we need to quit treating him like he has more upside than what he is right now; which is a depth/AHL defenceman. Postma is the better player, and younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad