Zach Parise's NHL Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
Zach looks really well at this years WJC!

He improved he's play every year... I believe he's the top steal (by the Devils) at last years entry draft (03).

1st or 2nd liner for the Devils?

Will he be able to put over 1pt per game?

Style wise, I think he'll be a well rounded version of Mike Comrie. A 1st liner who can play both ends of the ice equally well, and gives it all every shift. This kid is going to be a great pro.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Good for NJ, bad for Parise's offensive potential.

But I assume he'd prefer winning Cups to putting up big numbers.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Like many people have said before the kid has a ton of skill but lacks size..

I really think he will be a star player for year's to come and show people that skill and talent can overcome size

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Zednik20 said:
Good for NJ, bad for Parise's offensive potential.

But I assume he'd prefer winning Cups to putting up big numbers.

A lot can change in the next 10-12 years. New-jersey's style for instance.

The league could change (new rules). The team's personnel will change. Marty Brodeur and Scott Stevens will be gone eventually. A couple of others will follow or be traded.

Lou Lamoriello will also retire at some point.

These things come into cycle and the Devils are coming close to completing theirs. Doesn't mean they won't successfully begin another one or that it won't be similar but I see a possibility things could take on a new direction.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Habs4Life said:
Like many people have said before the kid has a ton of skill but lacks size..

I really think he will be a star player for year's to come and show people that skill and talent can overcome size

I keep hearing complaints about Parise's size. He isn't *that* small, and his intangibles will render any potential size issues moot anyway.

Last edited:

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
A lot can change in the next 10-12 years. New-jersey's style for instance.

The league could change (new rules). The team's personnel will change. Marty Brodeur and Scott Stevens will be gone eventually. A couple of others will follow or be traded.
Well Stevens may be gone soon but Brodeur is only 31 and has expressed that he would like to stay in jersey for most of his career

Lou Lamoriello will also retire at some point.
:cry: I fear this day
These things come into cycle and the Devils are coming close to completing theirs. Doesn't mean they won't successfully begin another one or that it won't be similar but I see a possibility things could take on a new direction.
Well on the last part, I thought that they had reached their cycle at the end of 2001-02 but they ended up winning another champoinship. I truly don't know how long this teams consistency can go but I imagin they have a good 3-4 years left.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I keep hearing complaints about Parise's size. He isn't *that* small, and his intagibles will render any potential size issues moot anyway.

I agree 5'12=1,82m isn't small! He has the taller body than Sakic, Stevie etc...

I think he could give a better version from Scott Gomez.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
I agree 5'12=1,82m isn't small! He has the taller body than Sakic, Stevie etc...

I think he could give a better version from Scott Gomez.
Well first of all I think he is 5'11 and 5'12 is 6 ft so you might as well just say that.

Secondly I really REALLY hope Zach can score more than 15 goals a season unlike Scott.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
The thing that irks me the most about people complaining about size is that they don't even notice how many shorter players fail. How many players that are 5'6" or lower are even drafted on a yearly basis?

Nobody is given the boot because of size alone. Size, while a factor, is never the only one. Short players can make it, but the numbers are definately against them.

It's time to stop complaining about size being an issue and hope for success for both those that are small and those that are not.

[/rant]
~Crazed.

PEli*

AJ1982 said:
Parise could end up a higher scoring version of Chris Drury.

I'd agree with that.

And I'll agree with Rabid Ranger as well. The kid isn't that small. He's below average but isn't exactly minute. Any lack of size will be made up with his skill and vision on the ice.

eyeofthetiger

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
PEli said:
I'd agree with that.

And I'll agree with Rabid Ranger as well. The kid isn't that small. He's below average but isn't exactly minute. Any lack of size will be made up with his skill and vision on the ice.

SIZE is the all important issue at the heart of scouting in hockey today whether you want to believe it or not....

Scouts and GM's will draft size over skill in more cases than not....

It's basically an ego thing and perception....When the players name is called can the scouts and gm's look up....waaaay up...to the player they're drafting. Talent, skill and athleticism are not quantifiable attributes when determining a player's ability to make the grade in the NHL....that's too bad because a great player is a great player desipte his lack of size. The reverse can also be said. Larger players can be great skilled players despite their size when coupled with exceptional athleticism. Hockey is a game of skill...skating, stickhandling, shooting, checking....small quick players with great lateral movement and hockey vision, sense are what the scouts should be looking for. 6', 180 lbs should be the average size of hockey players....they make for the most mobile. Now and again you see a large player with quick feet, hands etc.
but for the most part they're not built for the quick finese game of hockey. Hockey is not football...but the marketing guys seem to be forgetting this...so what I was trying to get at in this long-winded fashion is that.....

Too many "small" players aren't even given the opportunity to compete for a spot at the pro level so they are disadvantaged by a lack of size.
It's nice to see that Parise is going to be given an opportunity. Hopefully, he'll succeed and in doing so give scouts and gm's pause for thought....and maybe the insight that they should take a chance on guys like Parise.

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
I

eyeofthetiger said:
SIZE is the all important issue at the heart of scouting in hockey today whether you want to believe it or not....

It's basically an ego thing and perception....When the players name is called can the scouts and gm's look up....waaaay up...to the player they're drafting. Talent, skill and athleticism are not quantifiable attributes when determining a player's ability to make the grade in the NHL....that's too bad because a great player is a great player desipte his lack of size. The reverse can also be said. Larger players can be great skilled players despite their size when coupled with exceptional athleticism. Hockey is a game of skill...skating, stickhandling, shooting, checking....small quick players with great lateral movement and hockey vision, sense are what the scouts should be looking for. 6', 180 lbs should be the average size of hockey players....they make for the most mobile. Now and again you see a large player with quick feet, hands etc.
but for the most part they're not built for the quick finese game of hockey. Hockey is not football...but the marketing guys seem to be forgetting this...so what I was trying to get at in this long-winded fashion is that.....

Too many "small" players aren't even given the opportunity to compete for a spot at the pro level so they are disadvantaged by a lack of size.
It's nice to see that Parise is going to be given an opportunity. Hopefully, he'll succeed and in doing so give scouts and gm's pause for thought....and maybe the insight that they should take a chance on guys like Parise.

agree because i found that out all to well. I am only 5'6" and 160lbs and scouts were turned off by that greatly. It's a very real and sad part of the game these days, but you look at some of these players and they aren't anything without size. What would Chara be if he was only 6'0" tall?

Unthinkable

eyeofthetiger said:

Good points aside, you're wrong in assuming PELi has no idea what scouts and GM's typically opt for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think Scott Gomez's production is about what you can expect from Parise in a few years. He's a safe bet for a 2nd line scoring forward, with the upside to be close to a point per game with the right linemates and 1st unit ice time.

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
I think Parise reminds me most of Mike York, but with a little bit more size. Either way, Lou made another great pick. He's gonna be one helluva NHLer.

FlyersFan10*

Considering that the last American player to lead the WJHC in scoring was Doug Weight, I've got a funny feeling that that is who Parise will turn out to be like. Not a bad player at all and good for a couple of 100+ point seasons. I don't think that size is really going to be an issue and that when you take a look at a lot of players drafted recently, size really hasn't been an issue. I mean, Mike Richards is another 5'11 hockey player and he seems to be ok playing in traffic.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Ugh!

While I'm certainly not surprised that many of you are jumping on the Parise bandwagon, I'm definately disappointed. I'm going to make the assumption that none of you have actually been able to SEE any Team USA games, due to the great inadequacy of television and media coverage in the United States...along with the even greater pigheaded apathy on the part of the NHL, AHL, USAH, NTDP, the American public, etcetera, etcetera....So, I suppose I shouldn't be too harsh. However, since I am presently in Finland and have been since day one of this tournament, I feel compelled to inform you of a few facts which have been overlooked amidst all the "Zach praising". First of all, I'm not trying to diminish the fact that Parise is in fact a very good hockey player. But, in all truthfullness, I have to say that much of his success so far in this WJHC is due to his wingmen, Brady Murray and Steve Werner, and D-men James Wisniewski and Mark Stuart. This line of forwards and D's have been the reason Zach seems to always find himself in good position to bang one in. On the contrary, it's unfortunate that Patrick O'Sullivan has found himself on line with perhaps one of the slowest defensemen I've ever seen, Ryan Suter - who I don't believe would be able to handle a puck even if he had a bucket to carry it in, not to mention his winger's Kesler and Eaves. I can not tell you how many times O'Sullivan has had to actually STOP and WAIT for these two guys to catch up to him so he'd have someone to pass the puck to, or so he could pass the puck to them as the case may be. Unfortunately, their significant lack of speed leaves him surrounded by the opposing team more often than not. While Patrick Eaves may be a bit speedier and have a better shot, it's difficult for the duo of O'Sullivan-Eaves to work when Ryan Kesler, the bumbling idiot that he is, is constantly getting in the way and tripping over his own big feet. So, you see peeps, my point is that while you're obviously ready to give Zachster the MVP, you may also want to give O'Sullivan an award for his patience and endurance for not beating "the Pejorative Slured Ryan twins" over the head with the blade of his skates. Thank you for allowing me to express myself. I feel a little bit better now.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
hey, u saw brady murray and i'v erelaly been curious as to what people who watch him think about his future and a comparison between him and parise. on stats and size, they both seem very similar, so wat is the difference between the two and why is parise so much more highly regarded?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Kvashinator12 said:
agree because i found that out all to well. I am only 5'6" and 160lbs and scouts were turned off by that greatly. It's a very real and sad part of the game these days, but you look at some of these players and they aren't anything without size. What would Chara be if he was only 6'0" tall?

All else being equal he would be not as good. That's why scouts pay attention to size. Fortunately other things like speed etc. matter as well, but this does not make size less important.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
The "next one", but for what????
Anyway, whatever....

KingPurple: Of course you know these are only my opinions, which mean less than nothing...but, I think it's pretty simple....Zach has the "all american golden boy" thing going and he knows how to work it - he reminds me of Brent Burns in that regard -(although obviously I know Brent's Canadian),,but I think you know what I mean....So, I personally think it's less about skill and more about image...I think Brady's equal to the skill of Zach, but he also has more of an edge to him...and I also don't think Zach is tough enough for the NHL...I don't really think it's a matter of size exactly,,,,he's just not gritty enough and I think that's going to be the thing that holds him back...also I'm really impressed with Steve Werner, for the same reasons as Murray,,,neither are as flashy as Zach, but all flash and no substance is useless, in my useless opinion at least. But seriously, although he hasn't been able to score like he's been this year in the OHL, O'Sullivan is the guy you just can't stop watching.

NJ_Devil_Boy

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
MePutPuckInNet said:
and I also don't think Zach is tough enough for the NHL...I don't really think it's a matter of size exactly,,,,he's just not gritty enough and I think that's going to be the thing that holds him back...

The same thing was said about Brian Gionta. At BC, he was a goal scorer with flash and dash. Nicknamed "Little G" and being one of the smallest guys in the NHL, he's holding his own right now. He's not afraid to get in the corners and everytime it looks like a train hit him => Little G gets right back up. Size this...Size that....I can't wait to see Parise in NJ.

Props to the guy who traded up to get him (Lou) :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->