Value of: Zach Parise

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Clearly I'm missing something because I don't see a thing that qualifies as "gooning it up" there

6-2 lead, late in the game, I think the hit is akin to a MLB pitcher throwing a 95mph heater at some guy's head because he didn't like that he was getting knocked around. I guess when I look at it it's not as dirty as I had thought, but the Wild should send a couple goons (we really don't have any since Stewart left) on those two guys.

That might just be me (yes I'm pissed that he got hurt), but I think the Wild should stand up and say we aren't going to let you take liberties with our hottest player.

he had 24 points in 42 games. That is a "great year"?

He had 8 goals in his last 8 games (3 goals in 3 playoff games) of the season. Was there anyone else in the NHL that had those numbers?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'll bite. What sort of package would be going back to Minnesota? And what sort of inclusions will the Wild include to get us to stomach that contract.
I'm not at the point where I want to pay anyone to take him. His back surgery seems to have been a success, he scored a lot in March and has looked like himself again in the playoffs. Losing him has been a substantial loss against Winnipeg.

I don't expect anyone to actually want to trade for him considering his contract and I think there's a chance that his eventual decline is going to trigger a rebuild period for Minnesota. But we're not there yet.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
So then say he had a great last 8 games. Don't say he had a great year.

He had about 12 goals in his last 17 (regular season) games of the year. I would say he was rounding back into form well before the last 8 games. He was basically one of the hottest players on the planet.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
With the way Zach plays, I think we all saw a quick decline coming. Lucky for the Wild that he's rounding into form, I hope for his sake that he's got more in the tank and he's not hampered by injuries for the rest of his time there

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
With the way Zach plays, I think we all saw a quick decline coming. Lucky for the Wild that he's rounding into form, I hope for his sake that he's got more in the tank and he's not hampered by injuries for the rest of his time there
It sounds like the NHL is considering enforcing cross checks so that should help.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Not from our understanding, Suter was going to sign with Detroit and it was Parise and Heatly that talked him into signing with Minnesota not the other way around. Suter had contingency plans to sign with Detroit but once Parise signed with Minnesota he signed there as well.

Weren't both of them going to sign with Detroit at one point? I thought I remembered reading that.

Cuphead

Jul 16, 2010
NMCs and NTCs aside, Bobby Ryan If Minnesota is willing to retain 30-40% salary.

Ottawa always looking to shed salary and save actual money. Minnesota would get a right shot winger, whose game is better suited to the West, to add to their lineup which is extremely left shot heavy (Nino, Koivu, Granlund, Staal, Parise, Zucker, etc). Minny takes back an unattractive contract, but sheds those extra 3 years of 7M+ cap hits.

Bobby on the books for 4 more years at a total salary of 30 million.

Parise over the next 7 years retained at:
30% = 25.2 million in total salary
35% = 23.4 million in total salary
40% = 21.6 million in total salary

Melnyk saves roughly 5-10 million in total salary (actual cash) by taking on the longer term due to the tack-on low salary years at the back end of the Parise contract.

Over the next four years where the "real money" considerations are the big factor:
Ryan is getting 7.5M per in salary.
If Parise is retained at 35%, Ottawa would be paying him salaries of 5.85M, 5.85M, 5.2M, 3.9M. Cash savings for Ottawa.

IMO Melnyk definitely takes on those extra three years at salaries of 1.3M, 0.650, 0.650 because they are low throw away numbers and he is saving close to 7 million in cash as a result on the whole. With Ottawa, it is always about the cash not the cap space due to the internal budget.

minnesota is trying to get out of the cap hit. why would they take a cap hit of ~9.8M for 4 years and then ~2.6M in dead cap for 3 more years, when they can take a 7.5M hit for 3 years and then hossa him or trade him to a budget team?

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
You are still salty? I get that the Devs haven’t had a ZP since but get a life man.

Devils dogged a HUGE bullet. We miss Parise? Don’t even recognize who that guy is now. The #9 we have now in Hall is so much better than Parise. Devils got the best of Parise. He is a shell of what he used to be and it’s quite sad. 7 years left on that contract? Good lord. We knew he’s decline and not be worth that contract but it is sad what has happened to him.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Devils dogged a HUGE bullet. We miss Parise? Don’t even recognize who that guy is now. The #9 we have now in Hall is so much better than Parise. Devils got the best of Parise. He is a shell of what he used to be and it’s quite sad. 7 years left on that contract? Good lord. We knew he’s decline and not be worth that contract but it is sad what has happened to him.

On what planet is Hall better than Parise? They even kicked him to the curb in Edmonton of all places.

Yeah, Parise had 8 goals in his last 8 games this season. I know you guys can't stand it that he's literally the Energizer Bunny, but he is just going to go hard right back at it next season, like he has a hundred times before. He's not falling off any time soon and he just proved that (before Jets got dirty and cross-checked him like they did).

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
It sounds like the NHL is considering enforcing cross checks so that should help.

Would have been nice if they would have called that dirty hit (among a half dozen other dirty plays by the Jets this series).

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
34 in July and 7 years left at 7.54 it's not a question of what teams would give up for him but a question of what they'd have to give up for anyone to take him.

He also has a no move clause and isn't going anywhere but if he was it would be with a plethora of assets to make a team interested.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
On what planet is Hall better than Parise? They even kicked him to the curb in Edmonton of all places.

Yeah, Parise had 8 goals in his last 8 games this season. I know you guys can't stand it that he's literally the Energizer Bunny, but he is just going to go hard right back at it next season, like he has a hundred times before. He's not falling off any time soon and he just proved that (before Jets got dirty and cross-checked him like they did).

This one is fun because I seriously can't tell if it's a troll or insanity.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
34 in July and 7 years left at 7.54 it's not a question of what teams would give up for him but a question of what they'd have to give up for anyone to take him.

He also has a no move clause and isn't going anywhere but if he was it would be with a plethora of assets to make a team interested.

Zucker + 1st to move Parise's contract.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Meh, the Wild don't need to move his contract right now, a healthy Parise (as seen in the second half of the season) showed he's still worth the salary he's getting right now. He'll be completely healthy next season.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
he might have negative value at this point, 7 more years at 7.5 mil AFTER this year....

SEVEN MORE F***KING YEARS!?!

I forgot how bad it truly was.....he's not going to last another season, his career is pretty much over,

Are they going to have cap re-capture problems?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The Devils absolutely got the best of Parise.

He has negative value in the sense that you'd have to package something huge with him no matter how well he's playing. He's not 08-12 Zach and never will be again. Best case scenario for him is to become a Matt Cullen-type towards the end of his career but I doubt his body endures the duration of his contract.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
SEVEN MORE F***KING YEARS!?!

I forgot how bad it truly was.....he's not going to last another season, his career is pretty much over,

Are they going to have cap re-capture problems?
No, his career is far from over. Second half of the season when he came back from his back surgery that he should have had 2yrs ago, he was the Zach of old again!

Remember, a year ago, most of his time missed wasn't even due to injury, it was due to repeated illness including the mumps! This season it was because he finally had the surgery on his back, then had the freak sandwich hit that would've broken most people's sternum in the same situation. That is not a sign of injury prone, that was just bad luck.

He'll be fine in the near term. The question remains, at what rate will his decline actually happen? We thought it was already apparent, but post surgery, he looked like the Zach from the first few years here again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad