Injury Report: Zach Parise (Conditioning Stint w/ Iowa Wild)

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
killerbees2008.jpg

Reactions: FVM

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
Parise is an afterthought to me at this point. If he plays, great. If not, whatever. We don't need the constant coverage of whether or not he's playing.

He's not a vital piece of this team anymore because he can't be relied on. He's not going to push anyone off of the Nino-Staal-Coyle or Zucker-Koivu-Granlund lines since their chemistry is so good, and frankly they are all better than Parise.

It's frustrating to have an oft-injured $98 million 3rd liner, but there's not much we can do about it right now.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Wild's Parise to miss at least 2 games with back issue
Ian McLarenOct 2 2017, 11:51 AM

The Minnesota Wild will start the season without Zach Parise on the ice.

The veteran winger has been dealing with a back issue throughout training camp, and because of the problem, will be held out of the lineup for at least the club's first two regular season games, scheduled for Thursday and Saturday.

"Parise's having a hard time getting to 100% so we'll be pulling back slightly," said general manager Chuck Fletcher. "If all goes well he'd rejoin the team next Monday."

Last season, Parise was limited by nagging injuries and illnesses, and finished with only 19 goals and 23 assists in 69 games - his lowest full-season totals since his rookie season with the New Jersey Devils.

Minnesota's third game is set for Oct. 12, giving him extra time in which to get up to speed, health permitting.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If his back is this bad when he has been resting all summer then how can he be expected to play a season, let alone 8 of them?

Not blaming him, but w/o a back you can't play hockey. Just ask Gretzky, Bossy, and Richard Mulhern(couldn't resist the last, obscure reference).

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Yeah, sounds worrisome. Wild do have good enough roster, so there's absolutely no need to play half injured Parise. Whether he wants it or not.

But it's troublesome on many levels. Hope he'll get better at some point. Back injuries are pain in the ass. Or slightly above. No, really I mean it. Hope he recovers fully and will live a good and painless life.

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
Really sad to see this happen. We should have protected him in a better way. He was basicly destroyed when Yeo was calling the shots.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
If his back is this bad when he has been resting all summer then how can he be expected to play a season, let alone 8 of them?

Not blaming him, but w/o a back you can't play hockey. Just ask Gretzky, Bossy, and Richard Mulhern(couldn't resist the last, obscure reference).

That's what really concerns me. Parise is being put in charge of his own health but he's too much of a competitor to do what he really needs to in order to return to 100%. If his back has been flaring up and he intends to play this season and beyond it's up to him to bite the bullet and do what has to be done to make it well, whether that's surgery or taking more time off than he probably thinks he needs. I can just see in mid March he'll end up having to go in LTIR and it will come out his back has been bothering him for months but he just battled through it at 80%.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Really sad to see this happen. We should have protected him in a better way. He was basicly destroyed when Yeo was calling the shots.

Parise's health has nothing to do with Yeo. ZP has always played that way. In college, New Jersey, and pre/post-Yeo.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Parise was to go on IR he wouldn't be able to play until November to meet the 10 games requirement. The cap only really effects the team for the first 2 games, after that there is a couple of long breaks to play cap games (people to Iowa) to build up some cap cushion.

It is the start of the season, running with an empty pressbox is an option.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Can you retroactively put him on LTIR and count preseason games as games missed?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Can you retroactively put him on LTIR and count preseason games as games missed?

It would be nice. But preseason games don't count, because they aren't real games. Even if he was healthy Parise would have been in 3 of the 7 at most?

They can retroactively put him on IR, but that probably wouldn't happen until the Win/Cal back-to-back (20th/21st), or the start of the homestand (24th), on the condition he doesn't see any game action before that. The 31st is the 10th game of the season.

Last edited:

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
As someone who suffers from two herniated discs in his back, my heart goes out to Parise. He was my favorite player when he was in Jersey, him leaving crushed me. I've still kept tabs on him, and it's really sad to see him reduced to this. I triggered an episode trying to put my socks on, I can't imagine trying to play hockey.

Hope he manages to find his way.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Is it a disc problem for Parise?

Russo said:
Fletcher wouldn’t comment if Parise’s injury is a flare-up of the herniated disk that debilitated him throughout the 2015-16 season and kept him from playing in the playoffs.

Have to believe it's the same thing though.

Huge opportunity for Tyler Ennis.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Parise is an afterthought to me at this point. If he plays, great. If not, whatever. We don't need the constant coverage of whether or not he's playing.

He's not a vital piece of this team anymore because he can't be relied on. He's not going to push anyone off of the Nino-Staal-Coyle or Zucker-Koivu-Granlund lines since their chemistry is so good, and frankly they are all better than Parise.

It's frustrating to have an oft-injured $98 million 3rd liner, but there's not much we can do about it right now.
This is where I'm at as well. At this point I'm just assuming that he is done, and if he can play? Great, he's a solid hard working 3rd liner.

It's really a shame, because he's so fun to watch when he's on top of his game. But, such is life. Hopefully he can come back and have a few more effective seasons with us.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If Parise was to go on IR he wouldn't be able to play until November to meet the 10 games requirement. The cap only really effects the team for the first 2 games, after that there is a couple of long breaks to play cap games (people to Iowa) to build up some cap cushion.

It is the start of the season, running with an empty pressbox is an option.
Considering he's not nearly as vital a player as he used to be, sitting out 10 games wouldn't be a bad thing IMO.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Considering he's not nearly as vital a player as he used to be, sitting out 10 games wouldn't be a bad thing IMO.
I agree I don't think it Benefits him or the Wild for play until he is 100% healthy on the flip side he may never be healthy.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
He's simply unreliable at this point and will be from here on out. It's an injury that won't go away. It was tweaked during the offseason....that's how sensitive it is.

Anything from him is a bonus at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad