Prospect Info: Zach Nastasiuk

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I like this pick, and am surprised so few people are discussing him. My guess the shocker at #58 stole the limelight.

just not much to discuss about him really

went about where he should have gone,while he should become a useful player he also doesn't have the kind of offensive upside that would get people really excited etc

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Ferraro no.2... why use a 48th overall on a workhorse that will kill penalties... at worst a 4th liner, at best a 3rd liner..... with the 48th overall... do not like.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I like this pick.

McDonnell said

"we were sort of looking, too - there was a defenseman that we had real high, and we got sort of shut out, I think on our second pick - we thought we had a guy who was a defenseman, it didn't happen to work out. But we weren't overly disappointed with Zach Nastasiuk."

Wonder who it was... shut out.. does it mean just before their pick.. Vannelli or Olofsson?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
10. Zach Nastasiuk - Forward - Owen Sound Attack
Received Votes From: 7/15
Highest Placement/Lowest Placement: 8th (2x)/Outside of the Top 10 (8x)
The Scoop: Zach Nasty emerged as one of Owen Sound's top scoring threats by season's end and as a result, earned a spot on Canada's Under 18 team, where he aided the team's Gold medal effort. His rise up the rankings can be attributed to increased confidence in the offensive end, in addition to more ice time as the season went on.
Comments:
"He has a great compete level and sacrifices his body for the good of the team and as such, is a very good two way forward but skating needs improvement moving forward." - Anonymous

"Zach was on my watch list to start the year but never really impressed me much early on. His game seemed to lack consistency in being able to deliver the goods despite his solid effort levels. His skating and overall mobility really looked to be holding him back as it was hard for him to get to the areas he needed to be at the right times. It wasn’t until a viewing in March were he seemed to own the ice that I thought this guy has some solid upside. His play in the playoffs for the Attack that carried over to the U18’s in Sochi Russia for team Canada continued to impress as he showed an instinct of where to get to and the ability to capitalize on chances once there." - Dan Stewart

"Playing on a loaded team probably hurt his offensive totals, but his frame and work ethic will make him an effective pro, even if it's in a bottom-six role." - Anonymous

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.fi/2013/06/final-mediascout-top-10-for-2013.html

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
His stats are about the same as Athanasiou's in his draft year :) Even better in the playoffs, 11 points in 12 games vs. 5 in 11.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I think he will surprise a lot of you guys next year, I expect his point totals to sky rocket. Zach had the natural ability to read the opponents play and get himself in passsing lanes to break it up, he just knows where the puck is going, much like Datsyuk or Andersson, and that is a great skill to have. I think a decent comparison would be Toews, but maybe without the top notch offensive ability.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
This pick excites me more than the Mantha pick. If Mantha cannot pick up his physical game and be more versatile this kid will be wearing the winged wheel before he will. This is IMO the best of our picks this year.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
If you guys have the patience/time, you can find all of the World Under 18s on Youtube. Nastasiuk was very good there.

Here's the gold medal game. Nastasiuk is #27.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdnTcPUS7uU

You can also find games on tsn.ca. Click "video" on the top nav bar, then choose "hockey canada" along the video channel list. From there, choose "games on demand." (They're free; don't worry.)

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
If you guys have the patience/time, you can find all of the World Under 18s on Youtube. Nastasiuk was very good there.

Here's the gold medal game. Nastasiuk is #27.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdnTcPUS7uU

You can also find games on tsn.ca. Click "video" on the top nav bar, then choose "hockey canada" along the video channel list. From there, choose "games on demand." (They're free; don't worry.)

Well it's not like Wings would do any moves anymore like sign big UFAs so what else there is until September?

;)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This was my favorite pick in the draft by the Wings.

His skating does need some work, has always looked a little stiff to me. But the edge work with Paek should help a lot there.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
This was my favorite pick in the draft by the Wings.

His skating does need some work, has always looked a little stiff to me. But the edge work with Paek should help a lot there.
His skating reminds me of Abdelkader's a bit. He knows where to go, but his little legs just can't always get him there in time.

On an unrelated note, though, he looks huge on the ice for a guy who's only 6'1. Maybe it's that he's wide, but if nobody told you he's 6'1, you'd think he's bigger.

Aug 6, 2012
Favorite pick of the draft. I think he could become a very good player.

He's tremendous around the boards and in the cycle. Works hard every shift and is good in all three zones. His upside is probably a 2nd/3rd line tweener but with his recent progression he could become a scoring winger in the mold of Ryan Callahan.

His skating reminds me of Abdelkader's a bit. He knows where to go, but his little legs just can't always get him there in time.

On an unrelated note, though, he looks huge on the ice for a guy who's only 6'1. Maybe it's that he's wide, but if nobody told you he's 6'1, you'd think he's bigger.

Agreed he looks very big out there.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Detroit Red Wings Fans - So hockey-smart we can spot a 1/2 inch difference in listed height ON THE TV SCREEN!

:)

Tell me ppl who watch the Panthers talk about this kinda stuff? Exactly. LGRW! :)

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Love this pick. He sounds so mature and confident, plus seems to thrive in tough situations. Looked up his game-to-game stats: he had 11 goals, 12 assists in their last 23 games of the season (regular season + playoffs) and led his team in playoff points ahead of guys like Catenacci and Ceci.

Central Scouting actually had him ahead of Horvat, Hartman, Rychel, Domi, Lazar, Zadorov, Morin, Klimchuk, Morrissey, Dickinson, McCarron, Poirier. That's 12 1st round picks and only includes North American skaters!

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Love this pick. He sounds so mature and confident, plus seems to thrive in tough situations. Looked up his game-to-game stats: he had 11 goals, 12 assists in their last 23 games of the season (regular season + playoffs) and led his team in playoff points ahead of guys like Catenacci and Ceci.

Central Scouting actually had him ahead of Horvat, Hartman, Rychel, Domi, Lazar, Zadorov, Morin, Klimchuk, Morrissey, Dickinson, McCarron, Poirier. That's 12 1st round picks and only includes North American skaters!

I'm not sure if I'd take him over many of those players though. Don't really know enough about Poirier, except that he has WHEELS. Nastasiuk is likely safer than McCarron but he has better upside. Would maybe tske him over Dickinson, though.

Not that I won't like the pick, I do.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Both Eliteprospects and HockeyDB have him as a RW but RWC has him as a C/RW, does anyone know which it is and if he does play centre occasionally how does he perform there?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Both Eliteprospects and HockeyDB have him as a RW but RWC has him as a C/RW, does anyone know which it is and if he does play centre occasionally how does he perform there?
I think he said in an interview he played C until he came to the OHL and after that has basically been on the right wing except for a couple of games at C. Said he doesn't really care where he plays, as long as he gets to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad