Value of: Zach Hyman

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
he's a 4th liner, 3rd at best, being propped up by playing with guys like Matthews and Nylander.

No way he's able to get anything substantial.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
No, but I couldn't imagine wasting my time making a cringe-worthy sarcastic thread about it on the mainboards.
But you do you, I guess.
it doesn't take much time at all and why is it cringe worthy ?

are you saying the posters pimping Hyman's unique talent are just trolling and we shouldn't share there opinions on the main forum ?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
it doesn't take much time at all and why is it cringe worthy ?

are you saying the posters pimping Hyman's unique talent are just trolling and we shouldn't share there opinions on the main forum ?
No, I think those posters don't know much about hockey. He's a role player who happens to have found a niche due to a coach's line-up philosophy. He's probably a 3rd line PKer anywhere else.
I just don't get why this needs to be a thread, I guess.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
just wondering what he's worth and i'll give a quick run down of the player

-best forechecker puck retriever in the nhl according to Babcock
-an integral part of our very productive top line and makes it go according to Babcock
-produces at a 1st line pace 5 on 5 for his role
-his production has nothing to do with his linemates or the mins he plays
-he's the key to the Leafs having a balanced 4 line attack
-great contract for a top line winger with term left
-only in his second year with plenty of upside

Leafs needs are a young top 4 right D and a young quality 2 way 2nd or 3rd line C
Your flattering description doesn't change the player -- he is what he is and there's no secret to that.

I don't know the point of this, but it belongs on the Leafs board.

You have to give up the homerism out here on the mains.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Drew Doughty or Erik Karlsson

if were giving up the best forechecker in hockey, were gonna need the best defenceman in hockey

member 147413

For some reason Hyman is polarizing to a few blowhard Leafs fans. They imagine we’d be 1st in the league if he weren’t playing with Matthews and Nylander.

In reality, Babcock has an idea that each line should have a forechecker/puck retriever. This philosophy seems to be working quite well for us.

While it’s not outlandish to suggest Matthews and Nylander would be more productive with say, JVR on their wing. I just don’t see the point to fiddling with what has been helping us win for two years in a row now.

Hyman is a role player, a great 3rd liner and one of the top PKer’s in the league.

He’s on a good contract and is a key part to the Leafs success. Hyman is more valuable to the Leafs than most other teams.

Reactions: Viqsi and Drew311

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
he's a 4th liner, 3rd at best, being propped up by playing with guys like Matthews and Nylander.

No way he's able to get anything substantial.
His 5v5 numbers are much too good for a 4th liner, he could play with Gretzky for all I care.

He's not your traditional leach, he doesnt just benefit off of plays, he creates them.

Reactions: FishManSam

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Your flattering description doesn't change the player -- he is what he is and there's no secret to that.

I don't know the point of this, but it belongs on the Leafs board.

You have to give up the homerism out here on the mains.

OP is just looking for an argument, which is his thing on the Leafs board. Don't pay attention to his hissy fit and let him fade into the background.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
He's a solid player for sure, but IMO would be much better suited for a bottom line role. They're obviously not getting anything in return for him that would warrant trading him.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I feel like the days of stacking the top 2 lines and filling the bottom 6 with plugs is over so you will see guys like Hyman on the first line for balance and scoring depth.

Does that make him a typical first line player? Of course not but I'm very glad he is a leaf and he is underrated by many leaf fans. Best of all the leafs got Hyman for Greg Mckegg.....

Lock er up boys and girls

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Hyman is hilariously underrated by his own fanbase. The guy is a high end 3rd liner at worst. He's a horse. I think he's been the Leafs 6th best forward this year behind their big 3, JVR, and Kadri.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
in all seriousness, there's literally nothing wrong with Hyman at 5v5 this year (although he doesn't do much great either-he's pretty neutral) and he's great on the PK

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Hyman is hilariously underrated by his own fanbase. The guy is a high end 3rd liner at worst. He's a horse. I think he's been the Leafs 6th best forward this year behind their big 3, JVR, and Kadri.
6th is a little high. at the end of the day, he's matching up against the best players in the league every night and his gf% and xgf% stats look good, and he's tied for 51st in the league in 5v5 primary points. he must be doing some things right

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
OP is just looking for an argument, which is his thing on the Leafs board. Don't pay attention to his hissy fit and let him fade into the background.

so asking for the value of Hyman based upon how his coach and his supporters on the Leafs board view him is looking for an argument and throwing a hissy fit ?

Last edited:

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
just wondering what he's worth and i'll give a quick run down of the player

-best forechecker puck retriever in the nhl according to Babcock
-an integral part of our very productive top line and makes it go according to Babcock
-produces at a 1st line pace 5 on 5 for his role
-his production has nothing to do with his linemates or the mins he plays
-he's the key to the Leafs having a balanced 4 line attack
-great contract for a top line winger with term left
-only in his second year with plenty of upside

Leafs needs are a young top 4 right D and a young quality 2 way 2nd or 3rd line C

He sounds indispensable to the Leafs... so why is he trade bait?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's basically our Alex Killorn. He's not a first line player in the traditional sense of the word, but can do a complementary role when assigned there. But, you sure as hell ain't having him as the first or second piece when shaping a top line.

I'd say the key to the Leafs having 4 good lines is built around center depth. Not many teams have a bonafide 1, a 1b/2a guy and a fringe 2nd liner as your 3rd guy. Add a legit 3rd line center like Plekanec on the 4th line and that will do that. Combine that with overall wing depth, you are in a very strong position. But, the real key to it is having Matthews, Kadri and 2 1st line RWers (Nylander and Marner), with a legit 1st line LWer on the third line (JVR). Any team that has this lay-out and can fill in the holes with competent NHLers is in a good spot with their forward core.

xxxx-Matthews-Nylander
xxxx-Kadri- Marner
JVR-xxxx-xxxx

I'm glad the bashing of Hyman has calmed down, but plays still die more often than needed on his stick. He's a useful player. But, while in his 2nd year, he's 25. But, you did probably miss one of his better qualities which is his usefulness as a PKer. I'd add though, Hyman being a competent 1st liner producer at ES is primarily driven by Matthews and Nylander, and is a strong testament to Matthews. One of the biggest strengths of Crosby is how he has been highly successful with typical middle-six players which allowed for depth to be pushed down the line-up, such as Kessel on the 3rd line or Malkin getting a high-quality running-mate.

Reactions: Viqsi and Hoverhand

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I don't get it. Leafs fan claim he has all this value, but then in any of the Matthews pump up threads, they blame Hyman for all of Matthews flaws.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
For some reason Hyman is polarizing to a few blowhard Leafs fans. They imagine we’d be 1st in the league if he weren’t playing with Matthews and Nylander.

In reality, Babcock has an idea that each line should have a forechecker/puck retriever. This philosophy seems to be working quite well for us.

While it’s not outlandish to suggest Matthews and Nylander would be more productive with say, JVR on their wing. I just don’t see the point to fiddling with what has been helping us win for two years in a row now.

Hyman is a role player, a great 3rd liner and one of the top PKer’s in the league.

He’s on a good contract and is a key part to the Leafs success. Hyman is more valuable to the Leafs than most other teams.
Totally not shocking. A lot of teams have guys like that. Over here, Calvert used to be that with Dubinsky and Atkinson before Dubi started to decline (and he's still the best guy we have on the fourth line). Jenner's playing that role right now with Wennberg and Vanek. Those sorts of guys are essential to have on a winning roster, but that doesn't make them expensive on the trade market.

Seems to me like most Leafs fans recognize that and greatly appreciate him for what he is, which is as it should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->