Zach Hamil

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I've always heard his name but havent able to find out a lot about his game. I have heard that he's captain material.

Is Mike Richards a good comparision ?

Can someone please tell me about his game ?

Thanks.

Luke87

Sep 10, 2006
Oshawa
He's playing for Everett in the WHL and at one point was slated to be a very high pick but has fell quite a bit. So far this year he seems to have gotten his offensive game back 10gp 6g 11a 17pts

As far as his style of play i can't really help you there, I havent really seen him play

Kootenay1

Feb 28, 2002
Since when did he slip? He's in top ten in scoring in the WHL and rated 7th overall by Redline..... Great playmaker with lots of speed. Good goalscorer although likes to make the pass first.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Since when did he slip? He's in top ten in scoring in the WHL and rated 7th overall by Redline..... Great playmaker with lots of speed. Good goalscorer although likes to make the pass first.

There's no way he'll go as high as 7th overall IMO.

He only missed being eligible for last year's draft by a week, and probably wouldn't have gone top-20 in that draft. No way he's suddenly this high in a much stronger draft. He's one of those guys who was more advanced at a younger age, but will be 'caught' by a bunch of players this season.

Good prospect, but probably mid-late first round material when everything's said and done. His size will work against him, and his age has to be taken into consideration.

As for comparables, Brendan Morrison isn't far off. Zach Parise. Maybe PM Bouchard although I think Bouchard has a bit more natural talent. Skinny, speedy playmaking center who is also defensively quite responsible. I don't know if he projects as a #1 center ... probably more toward a top-end #2.

Kootenay1

Feb 28, 2002
There's no way he'll go as high as 7th overall IMO.

He only missed being eligible for last year's draft by a week, and probably wouldn't have gone top-20 in that draft. No way he's suddenly this high in a much stronger draft. He's one of those guys who was more advanced at a younger age, but will be 'caught' by a bunch of players this season.

Good prospect, but probably mid-late first round material when everything's said and done. His size will work against him, and his age has to be taken into consideration.

As for comparables, Brendan Morrison isn't far off. Zach Parise. Maybe PM Bouchard although I think Bouchard has a bit more natural talent. Skinny, speedy playmaking center who is also defensively quite responsible. I don't know if he projects as a #1 center ... probably more toward a top-end #2.
Good assessment and I agree with your comparisons although I think Zach has the potential to be a number #1 center. He looked very good playing for Canada in the under 18 tournament playing with Jonathan Toews. I believe they ended up tied for the tournament scoring lead. Do you think he will get a look for the WJC team?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
No way he's suddenly this high in a much stronger draft.
I don't think the HF armchair scouts should jump to this conclusion too quickly (I know that MS knows his WHL very well but the Dub is the big exception this year in terms of a raised draft-talent level). Last year was not so bad overall (but bad for the WHL) and, after talking recently to an NHL DPP and a head scout, talk seems to be that this year's draft is quite thin at the top end but offers a slightly better number of middling, but not excitng, prospects. And that's my early assessment too- it's not all a loaded draft. Of course Woodlief disagrees, but that's his nature.

Consensus seems to be that the WHL is better this year than last year. OHL is weaker. Q is about the same. USHL/NCAA/USNDT a bit weaker. Sweden about the same. Czech and Slovak up a touch. Finland down. Russia up slightly. A few good Tier 2 guys and Danes. The usual for USHSers.

Oh- And I agree with MS on Hamill.

Last edited:

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
I don't think the HF armchair scouts should jump to this conclusion too quickly (I know that MS knows his WHL very well but the Dub is the big exception this year in terms of a raised draft-talent level). Last year was not so bad overall (but bad for the WHL) and, after talking recently to an NHL DPP and a head scout, talk seems to be that this year's draft is quite thin at the top end but offers a slightly better number of middling, but not excitng, prospects. And that's my early assessment too- it's not all a loaded draft. Of course Woodlief disagrees, but that's his nature.

Consensus seems to be that the WHL is better than LY. OHL is weaker. Q is about the same. USHL/NCAA/USNDT a bit weaker. Sweden about the same. Czech and Slovak up a touch. Finland down. Russia up slightly. A few good Tier 2 guys and Danes. The usual for USHSers.

Oh- And I agree with MS on Hamill.

My assessment on the draft is there are lots of guys who in any other draft would be top ten picks, not top five, but from five to ten. But the draft is lacking in the fact that it has no Kovalchuks, Spezza's, Heatley's, Bouwmeesters etc. But thats just my shot at the cans...

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
My assessment on the draft is there are lots of guys who in any other draft would be top ten picks, not top five, but from five to ten. But the draft is lacking in the fact that it has no Kovalchuks, Spezza's, Heatley's, Bouwmeesters etc. But thats just my shot at the cans...
I think only Voracek, Esposito and Couture from 2007 would go top 10 in most other years (obviously it's very early) but there are a great number in the next set; not top-line NHL prospects but 2nd/3rd liners and #3-4 dfmen. Whereas last year about 20 could be identified this early last season, I think we're looking at about 30 of the same calibre at the same time this year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think only Voracek, Esposito and Couture from 2007 would go top 10 in most other years (obviously it's very early) but there are a great number in the next set; not top-line NHL prospects but 2nd/3rd liners and #3-4 dfmen. Whereas last year about 20 could be identified this early last season, I think we're looking at about 30 of the same calibre at the same time this year.

I'd agree with your take on this.

Looking at the WHL guys, there are a pile (10-15) of guys who seem like the sort of guy who'd go 18-25 overall in a normal draft, but few if any who strike me as obvious top-10 sort of guys (like Mueller did last year). But of course that may change as the year goes along.

Looking at the WHL guys, there are a pile (10-15) of guys who seem like the sort of guy who'd go 18-25 overall in a normal draft, but few if any who strike me as obvious top-10 sort of guys (like Mueller did last year). But of course that may change as the year goes along.

I was thinking that Sutter would most likely be that top 10 guy to come out of the WHL. He looked promising when I saw him play last year. He also showed a definite improvement over the year and averaged a point per game over the last 2 months of the season. He topped that off by being the first underager (along with Tavares) to be invited to the Under 18 Team. But he's dissapointingly started off this year quite slow and doesn't seem to have made the jump most high picks make in their draft year. He has picked up some points in his last few games however so hopefully he's coming around. If he does start scoring at a good rate, I think he's probably the best bet to be a top 10 pick out of the west.

nags

Sep 27, 2006

Hammil is equal to Meuller if not better. Zach can play in both ends of the ice. Hammil will go top 10, if not higher by the end of the year. Don't forget, he was picked 3rd overall in the Bantam Draft and he hasn't done anything to suggest he didn't deserve to go that high.

On anthoer note, to call this year's draft better than last year's is a bit of a stretch. IMO The 2006 draft will go down as one of the best when everyone looks back 10 years from now. Mark it on your calendar.

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
Hammil is equal to Meuller if not better. Zach can play in both ends of the ice. Hammil will go top 10, if not higher by the end of the year. Don't forget, he was picked 3rd overall in the Bantam Draft and he hasn't done anything to suggest he didn't deserve to go that high.

On anthoer note, to call this year's draft better than last year's is a bit of a stretch. IMO The 2006 draft will go down as one of the best when everyone looks back 10 years from now. Mark it on your calendar.

Well, it's off to a better start than '05. (Staal + Kessel)...not that it matters too much...

turnbuckle*

They were two different drafts in terms of tendencies. 2006 had much better forward depth than 2005's, but lacks the top end defencemen that the 2005 crop produced IMO.

top 20 forwards in 2005:

Crosby
Ryan
Pouliot
Brule
Skille
Setoguchi
Kopitar
Zagrapan
O'Marra
Bourret
Hanzal
McArdle

Top 20 forwards in 2006:

Staal
Toews
Backstrom
Kessel
Okposo
Brassard
Mueller
Sheppard
Frolik
Little
Tlusty
Grabner
Stewart
Lewis

Crosby's the cream of the crop obviously, but thus far I like this year's top 20 forward group depth-wise more than 2005's.

Different case on the blueline:

2005 top 20 blueliners

J Johnson
Staal
Bourdon
Lee
Pokuluk
Parent
Kindl

2006 top 20 blueliners

E Johnson
Mitera
Fischer

On numbers alone, you have to take the 2005 group in terms of premiere prospects. Time will tell with the later defence picks from 2006, as quite a few (17) were selected between the 19th and 57th selections.

In net it's a tougher call (too early to properly project) - at this point Irving is making the biggest impression, although Price, Pavelec and Rask are solid prospects. Still - four goalies picked in this year's top 26 versus two goalies in 2005......

Better high-end defence prospects in 2005, better high-end forward depth and goaltending in 2006. Both drafts will yield solid players, busts, steals, late bloomers, and one has borne a phenom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad