Zach Fucale Eyeing up the Record Books

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Wish him the best of luck. Personally not totally sold on him but I hope he shows me wrong.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Wish him the best of luck. Personally not totally sold on him but I hope he shows me wrong.

hes barely 19... has great pedigree and been in some tough situations already on the ice and looks to have a great attitude

you dont have to be "sold" on him.. he wont even make the NHL for another 3 to 4 years...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
hes barely 19... has great pedigree and been in some tough situations already on the ice and looks to have a great attitude

you dont have to be "sold" on him.. he wont even make the NHL for another 3 to 4 years...

We have plenty of time to develop him and have him refine his game. He's a winner, his technical application is good, he has a strong mental make-up. He will excel when Waite gets his hands on him because I find a lot of his issues (there aren't a lot, especially since the problem with his numbers this year is how brutal the Moose D is) are things that a good goalie coach can iron out.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
We have plenty of time to develop him and have him refine his game. He's a winner, his technical application is good, he has a strong mental make-up. He will excel when Waite gets his hands on him because I find a lot of his issues (there aren't a lot, especially since the problem with his numbers this year is how brutal the Moose D is) are things that a good goalie coach can iron out.

completely agreed

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
He is very vocal on the ice when his defensemen are handling the puck in the D-zone. His rebound control is solid and he is often in position. The few times he wad caught off guard, his sprawling reflexes were incredible to watch. He has the IT factor.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
His mental game and work ethic is fantastic considering he's only 19. Those things can't be taught. It bothers me that some people call him overrated and point to his stats this year. If anyone has seen the Mooseheads defense they would know that it's a mess. He is a proven winner at a young age. Hopefully with the WJC back in Canada he has a good tournament.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Not to piss on the parade, but beating Jacques Cloutier's win record is not like beating Mario Lemieux's records.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It bothers me that some people call him overrated and point to his stats this year.

While he's far from being overrated, some other people deem it acceptable to write pieces and start threads about Wins, which is an obvious team stat and is only being attributed to goalies on account of an historical anomaly. Fucale has certainly a hand in his team's Wins, but in the era of advanced stats, not to mention sophisticated defensive systems, it is all the more absurd to continue drawing up individual records on the basis of team stats.

If one were to continue to develop a model based on the varying contributory aspects by all the players on a team, then certainly, it would make a lot more sense. A little like the "win shares" model devised by Bill James in 2002, for baseball, with the understanding that allowances would have to be made for a team sport like hockey where it is more difficult to isolate individual statistics than it is for baseball:

It takes a Sabremetric approach to evaluating the contribution of individual players to their teams' overall performance, and focuses primarily on the many formulae involved in computing the final number of win shares accumulated, as well as presenting many lists of players ranked in various ways using the rating.

A recent piece looking at historical performances of NHL goalies, stated:

Rankings involving goalies from previous decades have relied on team results and reputations forged by storytellers.

Seems to me that cherrypicking a team stat like Wins in an attempt to associate Fucale to some "record" does him a disservice more than anything else. Especially in a tighter-wound team sport like hockey, the continued association of team stats to individual players is just perpetuating the type of storytelling that makes for great anecdotes, not individual records.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Fucale had a good game tonight. Stole a win away from the Ruskies. He's has a Roy demeanor. So-so play in regular season but can raise his play in big games. Going to be interesting after Waite has had a year to work with him full time.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Fucale had a good game tonight. Stole a win away from the Ruskies. He's has a Roy demeanor. So-so play in regular season but can raise his play in big games. Going to be interesting after Waite has had a year to work with him full time.

Fucale was a steal and he plays huge in big games the mark of a money goalie. SC playoff material in a few yrs. with Waite & Price to learn from.:nod:

DJyellow

Sponsor
May 9, 2002
Laval
Ok let's wait.

We have the luxury to be patient with him. He'll probably end spending 2-3 years in the AHL before seeing some regular NHL action. He's listed as 180 lbs on hockydb, but he still looks pretty think to me...

One could say that we need to wait for him to put on some weight and learn from Waite.

csi_miami_yeah.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad