Zach Bogosian

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
My personal thoughts are Scheifele will get a 2 year bridge contract at approx $2.5 M per year. Trouba on the other hand might be in line for a big ticket 8 year deal that takes in some UFA years. They may try to Subban him, but that would likely cost them more in the long run. I expect Trouba to be the highest paid Jet after next season, safely exceeding Bogo's contract.

I see little to no way that Trouba makes more than Enstrom's 5.75m on his first RFA contract.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I see little to no way that Trouba makes more than Enstrom's 5.75m on his first RFA contract.

He will if he signs long term. Lets say Trouba signs for 8 years after his ELC. That's 4 RFA years and 4 UFA years. The Jets will have to pony up big time. IMO what we have seen over the last 8 games (9 points) and a defensive stud, is him just coming into his own. It won't be long before Trouba is a top 10 d-man in the league.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He will if he signs long term. Lets say Trouba signs for 8 years after his ELC. That's 4 RFA years and 4 UFA years. The Jets will have to pony up big time. IMO what we have seen over the last 8 games (9 points) and a defensive stud, is him just coming into his own. It won't be long before Trouba is a top 10 d-man in the league.

If Trouba continues his current trajectory I have no issue going long term with him. I'd go bridge with Scheifele as well atm. I think you need to diversify your approach with regards to young player contracts. Elite young talent performing at an extremely high level should be locked up long term and good young players still developing should be given bridge deals while they continue to develop.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If Trouba continues his current trajectory I have no issue going long term with him. I'd go bridge with Scheifele as well atm. I think you need to diversify your approach with regards to young player contracts. Elite young talent performing at an extremely high level should be locked up long term and good young players still developing should be given bridge deals while they continue to develop.

I don't know if it is so much diversifying your approach as knowing what you are paying for. Both Bogo and Wheeler got bridges a few years back as you could see there was something there, but it was uncertain what the player would develop into. A bridge contract buys you a couple years. This would fit for Scheifele, as we likely won't see the finished product for a couple years. For Trouba on the other hand the trajectory has been steep. His play is amazing for a 20 yo d-man. He will be among the leagues best defenseman in a couple years. IMO you bite the bullet and lock him up as long as possible at your first opportunity.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I don't know if it is so much diversifying your approach as knowing what you are paying for. Both Bogo and Wheeler got bridges a few years back as you could see there was something there, but it was uncertain what the player would develop into. A bridge contract buys you a couple years. This would fit for Scheifele, as we likely won't see the finished product for a couple years. For Trouba on the other hand the trajectory has been steep. His play is amazing for a 20 yo d-man. He will be among the leagues best defenseman in a couple years. IMO you bite the bullet and lock him up as long as possible at your first opportunity.

Agree with both of you. Normally I'd be all for the bridge for both, but IF Trouba is willing to sign for 8 (at a good price for both sides), I'd lock him up for sure.

An additional benefit to locking Trouba up would be less interactions with his agent, who is notorious for contentious negotiations. :sarcasm:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Zach Bogosian- On a hot streak or taking the next step?

I have never been as high on Bogo a lot of people on this board. I considered him to be a good player but 3-4 Dman who needs a smart and intelligent partner. However since coming back from his injury there seems to be something different about him. It's not just the points he is putting, it's that he's making some really smart hockey plays. His hockey IQ has been a knock against him but I have noticed him make some really really intelligent plays as of late- for example in the last game there was a point where he was being pressured by a Hawks player againgst the backboards and he had nowhere to go and instead of turning the puck over he made a beautiful pass in front of the goal crease to an open Jet. A risky play but a very creative one.

Is Bogo finally taking the next step in his development? It took Hedmen quite a long time to figure it out and become an elite defenceman. Could bogo be on a similar development curve or is his recent play just a hot streak?

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
with the injuries he get PP time and confidence, wait for trouba return before..

hope Maurice notice what Bogosian can offert and give him quality ice time, dont devlope him in a stricly defensive D but a 2 way force.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought Bogo's first year was pretty good and one of his best as a Jet. There were good signs that his offensive capabilities were beginning to develop, especially since he hit so many posts (kind of like Schiefele this year). Everyone was praising Huddy for his resurgence as he had a down year prior to relocation. Then injuries started to happen and he could never find the same offensive touch. In year 2 and 3, his defensive flaws became evident and he was prone to bad turnovers and failed to find any offence.

This year, Bogosian seems to have reduced his brain cramp moments and plays with a little more physical edge then normal (this was even before his injury, IMO). All of his points, except one, are at even strength and he is on pace for a 34 point season if he were to play all 82 games. Considering he logged major minutes on the power play his first season compared to this season, it's pretty safe to say that Bogosian is producing quite a bit more offence then he is accustomed to. Is this due to improvement in his game, a hot streak or from being Enstrom's partner? I think it's all of the above and I am extremely happy with his play at the moment.

I don't think he will ever log more than 40 points a season, but he still has the potential to be a top pairing D man if he continues to play at this level consistently (this is the big question mark). And just think, a Morrissey-Bogo pairing could be incredible and Bogo could exceed even my own expectations.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I have never been as high on Bogo a lot of people on this board. I considered him to be a good player but 3-4 Dman who needs a smart and intelligent partner. However since coming back from his injury there seems to be something different about him. It's not just the points he is putting, it's that he's making some really smart hockey plays. His hockey IQ has been a knock against him but I have noticed him make some really really intelligent plays as of late- for example in the last game there was a point where he was being pressured by a Hawks player againgst the backboards and he had nowhere to go and instead of turning the puck over he made a beautiful pass in front of the goal crease to an open Jet. A risky play but a very creative one.

Is Bogo finally taking the next step in his development? It took Hedmen quite a long time to figure it out and become an elite defenceman. Could bogo be on a similar development curve or is his recent play just a hot streak?

sometimes its all about confidence.

If his confidence catches to his physical attributes and skills. He can be as good as Trouba.

Bogo is bigger than Trouba and plays physical, and he skates like the wind.

The last few games, with his goals and that pretty assist to Perraults 1st goal and Little's goal, show he has it.

Sometimes people takes longer, sometimes, like Trouba it's just normal.

I usually call Trouba the iceman because of this.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@DarrinBauming: Has Zach Bogosian changed his approach since returning from injury? He tells me he's moving his feet more. Otherwise the same — O has come.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Same Zach with a better shooting % and a better D partner.

Pietrangelo is getting rough ride from the hometown fans on HFBoards this season, Sens fans have the goat horns moved from Spezza to Karlsson this season. Playing D at the NHL level is pretty hard especially when you get tough match ups. Zach is a very solid top 4 NHL defender and has always been a productive 5v5 producer.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
@DarrinBauming: Has Zach Bogosian changed his approach since returning from injury? He tells me he's moving his feet more. Otherwise the same — O has come.

Crazy how little things like that can really make a difference in one's game.

Same Zach with a better shooting % and a better D partner.

Pietrangelo is getting rough ride from the hometown fans on HFBoards this season, Sens fans have the goat horns moved from Spezza to Karlsson this season. Playing D at the NHL level is pretty hard especially when you get tough match ups. Zach is a very solid top 4 NHL defender and has always been a productive 5v5 producer.

I think playing with Enstrom so much this year has taken a lot of pressure off of Bogo. He plays relaxed more. Man I'm glad we have a guy like Enstrom that can help bring any D partner up. Hopefully all this time Bogo has with Toby will allow him to mature more and eventually be in Enstrom's shoes one day. Be "the guy" on a pairing with a younger Dman or weaker partner.

The confidence I have with there two out there is 2nd to none. Neither will get beat 1on1, and both have ways of getting the puck out no problem. Really think they're becoming an elite pairing and Bogo's play is what is taking them over the top. :nod:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
It looks like to me that Buff and Chiarot are going up against the other teams #1 line, seemed to be against Toews in Chicago after Saad goal, allowing Toby and Bogo easier match-ups as well.

Wonder what we see when Trouba's back? Troubs was arguably our best dman, getting the most mins, and playing all situations.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Bogo is good when he can carry the puck in some open ice, but his body definitely out performs his brain. A mistake he makes often is turning into forecheckers with the puck.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Crazy how little things like that can really make a difference in one's game.

I think playing with Enstrom so much this year has taken a lot of pressure off of Bogo. He plays relaxed more. Man I'm glad we have a guy like Enstrom that can help bring any D partner up. Hopefully all this time Bogo has with Toby will allow him to mature more and eventually be in Enstrom's shoes one day. Be "the guy" on a pairing with a younger Dman or weaker partner.

The confidence I have with there two out there is 2nd to none. Neither will get beat 1on1, and both have ways of getting the puck out no problem. Really think they're becoming an elite pairing and Bogo's play is what is taking them over the top. :nod:

Well said. I see Bogo taking the next step as a player as well.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
with the injuries he get PP time and confidence, wait for trouba return before..

hope Maurice notice what Bogosian can offert and give him quality ice time, dont devlope him in a stricly defensive D but a 2 way force.

I agree. Looks like Enstrom has really let his offensive game go for the sake of defense. Maybe we look to Zach to provide that offensive spark on the first pair?

I actually thought Bogo was going to become a defensive, PMD but looks like he has rediscovered his offensive touch. Hope it lasts, as I think unfortunately with a LOT of hockey fans, points = good, no matter what position you play, and whether it's actually true or not.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I think unfortunately with a LOT of hockey fans, points = good, no matter what position you play, and whether it's actually true or not.

For sure.

I've noticed, as a relatively rookie hockey fan compared to others here, that judging D-men is a lot harder than judging forwards.

Watching hockey for me has gone something like this.
At first, I saw goals, body-checks, fights, and spectacular saves.
Then I started seeing offensive plays unfold.
Then I started appreciating fore- and back- checking.
Then I started appreciating individual positioning.
Then I started appreciating team positioning.

That's a pretty rough outline, but the D appreciation came way later, and I certainly still don't have an amazing eye for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad