Zach Bogosian

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
yup bogo was great but he needs to be good on a consistant basis. I hate seeing these flash in the pan type games were he is awesome then returns to being meh. hope he stays rollin and injury free :D

Actually I think Bogo has played pretty well this season overall, take out a couple of the bad games he had at the start of the season and you can say he's been VERY GOOD!

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Bogo is taking longer to develop but then they always said he lacked hockey instincts moreso than normal. He has been around a while but is learning and getting better. IMO he has top pairing potential. I know its taking time but I think we would really regret giving up on him and then seeing him go some place else and excel. Stay the course!

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Actually I think Bogo has played pretty well this season overall, take out a couple of the bad games he had at the start of the season and you can say he's been VERY GOOD!

Wow if Sip says he's been playing that well it has to be very good indeed. For me, its all about him staying healthy and not trying to do too much. We don't need him to be another offensive defenceman, just do the job in our zone and get the play started up the ice. For me, Troub's has been the most impressive defenceman we have lately, but pleased with Bogo too.

ediger

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
I've noticed a number of positives in the style our D has been playing as of late. Could be (probably is) the Maurice influence. I'd like to see what Bogosian does with more time with him. Maurice seems like a guy who likes to limit the amount of risk taken on D and that could really benefit Bogosian by simplifying his game a bit.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
After a rough go last year, Zach Bogosian is quietly on pace for 37 points.

This is despite zero goals on 27 shots.

He has always been a solid per minute scorer at 5 on 5. It would be nice to see him stay healthy and actually put up a nice total this year.

Toby is on pace for 47 points. He may not get there, but 40ish would be nice.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

He has always been a solid per minute scorer at 5 on 5. It would be nice to see him stay healthy and actually put up a nice total this year.

I've been very pleased with Bogo's play this season so far. I thought he was very strong last night against the Pens.

jetkarma*

Both have played well and made a positive difference. I expect more or have from both and they have produced to date this year , we do need a different/better option on the first PP unit though imo , in time how Morrissey penetrates will make the unit more productive , till then we need to make some change imo.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Scoring wise last season was an outlier for Zach IMO, he was so unlucky. It appears to my untrained eye he is on the ice with better forwards more often and being with Toby helps. As you mentioned it will be about him staying healthy but he has looked very solid during this stretch. Zach may have his challenges but producing at even strength has not been one of them not withstanding last season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Scoring wise last season was an outlier for Zach IMO, he was so unlucky. It appears to my untrained eye he is on the ice with better forwards more often and being with Toby helps. As you mentioned it will be about him staying healthy but he has looked very solid during this stretch. Zach may have his challenges but producing at even strength has not been one of them not withstanding last season.

I think that pretty much all the D are on with better forwards this year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I hope Zach stays healthy.

He's playing well. Would love to see a full, solid season from him.

Agreed. Bogo has been playing great hockey so far this season. He is a huge piece why this team is doing as well as it has.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Before I make a fool of myself on the main boards, what do y'all think of this-

Buff plays RHD and under Maurice maybe he will show #1d stuff over the month of december. Our RHD now is Bogosian, Trouba, Buff, Postma. That's one too many and I think Postma is doing great on the bottom pair. Would trading Bogosian make any sense? He could fetch a big return from a team like....Edmonton for example.

Anyway just a thought after Buff's dominant performance tonight. Bogosian has had a good season too I should add. He could definitely fetch a nice top 6 addition though.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Why would you keep Byfuglien -- a 30 year old guy a year and a half away from being a UFA and with his size and history of knee issues over a guy who is 24, entering his prime, and signed long term?

That is how teams get worse, not better.

They showed the November highlights in the 2nd intermission on TSN and there were a bunch of beauties from Bogosian. I really feel awful that he broke his foot because I felt like his game in his own zone was really good, and he was finally starting to explore his offensive game. He was moving towards being that guy we all wished he would be.

It's going to take him til March to get back into that groove, but the good news is he'll be rested for the playoffs :)

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Why would you keep Byfuglien -- a 30 year old guy a year and a half away from being a UFA and with his size and history of knee issues over a guy who is 24, entering his prime, and signed long term?

That is how teams get worse, not better.

They showed the November highlights in the 2nd intermission on TSN and there were a bunch of beauties from Bogosian. I really feel awful that he broke his foot because I felt like his game in his own zone was really good, and he was finally starting to explore his offensive game. He was moving towards being that guy we all wished he would be.

It's going to take him til March to get back into that groove, but the good news is he'll be rested for the playoffs :)

I still find the fact we're comparing them and claiming Byfuglien will have health issues later when Bogosian has had a ridiculous amount of health issues his entire career so far.

Bogosian will never be beating out anyone if we're using injuries as a comparison.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Before I make a fool of myself on the main boards, what do y'all think of this-

Buff plays RHD and under Maurice maybe he will show #1d stuff over the month of december. Our RHD now is Bogosian, Trouba, Buff, Postma. That's one too many and I think Postma is doing great on the bottom pair. Would trading Bogosian make any sense? He could fetch a big return from a team like....Edmonton for example.

Anyway just a thought after Buff's dominant performance tonight. Bogosian has had a good season too I should add. He could definitely fetch a nice top 6 addition though.

I will keep D-man Buff over Bogo 10 times out of 10. Bogo is not a bad player but Buff has a game breaking ability that very few players in the NHL and even fewer on the Jets.

I don't know if Bogo's stock is still that high but if Chevy can do a Bogo for JVR style trade... I'd do it in a heartbeat

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
It's just a tricky issue because I like Bogo but wish one of him and Buff played the left side. Maybe this could be tried...

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Personally I would shop both, but only sell one.

They are different guys, so by only selling one you will limit yourself. The price you may be able to get in return for the one you would rather keep might be large enough to make up for the fact that you rather keep that one.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If Buff keeps playing like last night we may have to try Bogosian at forward :sarcasm:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So we already have a trade Bogosian discussion like we have too many good defenseman. :shakehead People do realize that the top teams have good defenseman through all 3 pairings. Even with everyone healthy and if we moved Buff back permanently we still don't have a particularly strong defense group compared to teams like LA and Chicago. In today's NHL with a premium placed on shot blocking you will virtually always regret trading away good defenseman. There is not enough out there as it is.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I still find the fact we're comparing them and claiming Byfuglien will have health issues later when Bogosian has had a ridiculous amount of health issues his entire career so far.

Bogosian will never be beating out anyone if we're using injuries as a comparison.

The big difference is that Bogo's injuries for the most part are action injuries and fully heal. Byfuglien has chronic knee injuries that will only get worse, especially considering the great weight he puts on them.

A lot of Buff's game is predicated on his skating and bad knees will rob him of that.

jggmalloy

Tobi-Wan Kenobi
Oct 30, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
jetsnation.ca
The big difference is that Bogo's injuries for the most part are action injuries and fully heal. Byfuglien has chronic knee injuries that will only get worse, especially considering the great weight he puts on them.

A lot of Buff's game is predicated on his skating and bad knees will rob him of that.

Buff becomes an UFA (along with Ladd) the same year Trouba, Scheifele, Lowry and Hutch become RFA's (2016-17). Trouba, Scheifele and Hutch all have potential to be expensive. Assuming Trouba would get Bogo money and Schiefs would get Bryan Little money, the Jets would be left with somewhere South of 1 mill of their current cap space.

We could expect to see the first departure of one of our "core guys" around this time. As you mentioned, Buff's knees are scary and won't be looking any better two years from now. Could be a team with some new faces. Ehlers should be ready by then.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I guess I am jumping a bit too far ahead here. Scheifele and Trouba won't be making Little and Bogo money in two years..

Well, Trouba might.

My personal thoughts are Scheifele will get a 2 year bridge contract at approx $2.5 M per year. Trouba on the other hand might be in line for a big ticket 8 year deal that takes in some UFA years. They may try to Subban him, but that would likely cost them more in the long run. I expect Trouba to be the highest paid Jet after next season, safely exceeding Bogo's contract.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's just a tricky issue because I like Bogo but wish one of him and Buff played the left side. Maybe this could be tried...

Or find a team with too many LHD and not enough RHD and make a player for player trade.

The questions should not be can we trade this guy or should we trade that guy but can a specific trade improve the team. Any trade of any player can be good if we get full value for that player and if what we get fills a need.

The Isles are heavily overloaded on the left side. We can't trade any D right now but when we are healthy it might be possible to make a good deal with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->