Zach Bogosian Update?

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Hey Jets Fans, just wondering if anyone knows what is the latest with Bogosian, or when you are expecting to have him back? Sorry if there is an Injury thread on this board, if there is I missed it.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The Jets basically forbid their injured players from interviews when hurt and the team doesn't discuss injuries with the press.

He's skating with the team but it was a pretty major wrist surgery so nobody really knows at this point. The sooner the better though he is turning into a heck of a player.

sigdawg

Jan 21, 2013
i have heard the latter part feb. early march... i would guess later rather than sooner... it was a serious injury and neither bogo or the jets want to risk re-injury.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
This is the closest thing we've had to a definitive answer:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/zachs-status-and-other-essential-information-185859942.html

Q: What's the status of Jets defenceman Zach Bogosian, who had surgery on his wrist?

A: The team says his rehabilitation is coming along fine. In fact, Bogosian may begin skating this week. But his return date remains unknown, he'll remain on the injured reserve list (and still get paid) and it's not out of the question he'll miss the first month of season when it gets going.

I expect we'll hear an update soon on his recovery.

White Out 403*

If we're to make the playoffs bogo will be a requires asset. I don't want to mortgage our future on that, however. If that means he missed all of February... so be it.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
We really missed Bogo...and I think he'll make a huge, needed impact when he's back

Hopefully its within the next few weeks (mid Feb latest) as some suggest, but surgeries are case:case

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
He'll be coming back without having a training camp; it seems to me that generally when this happens the returning player has an off year.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
He'll be coming back without having a training camp; it seems to me that generally when this happens the returning player has an off year.

While I definitely wouldn't blame him, I hope he can return to his old (or better) self in decent time. Either way, Brogosian at any level is better than Clitnone.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I seem to remember a Noel interview in the Free Press where he identified mid February as the likely return date. For those who worry he will be rushed back, I think those worries are unfounded. When he gets cleared by the medical staff he will play. I don't think you can categorize it as a major injury in the traditional sense, but rather a chronic injury he played through for years, which would flair up and cause him to miss time. Surgery was the right call and he is currently at the 5 month mark of a typical recovery time of 4-6 months.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
What I'm most curious about when it comes to Bogo is what his next contract might look like. He had a good year last year but his numbers weren't jaw-dropping, and now he's going to play a portion of an already shortened season (small sample size). Obviously how he plays this year will be a big factor, but it will be an interesting negotiation none-the-less.

Is it a one year contract that allows Bogo to prove what he can do over a full season? Is it a long term contract? If it's the latter, what kind of numbers should we expect? Obviously I'm pulling for Bogo to play lights out when he gets back but if he struggles somewhat, the silver lining for the organization is that they might be able to lock him up at a very reasonable price. Again, let me re-iterate that I AM NOT HOPING FOR THIS! :)

Say he comes back and puts up 10 points in 30 games and plays just below how he played last year defensively -- would 5 or 6 years at $4m per be out of the question?

Worst case scenario would be a 2 year deal which would take him to UFA status. Chevy needs to sign him to a 1 year deal or lock him up as long as possible IMO.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What I'm most curious about when it comes to Bogo is what his next contract might look like. He had a good year last year but his numbers weren't jaw-dropping, and now he's going to play a portion of an already shortened season (small sample size). Obviously how he plays this year will be a big factor, but it will be an interesting negotiation none-the-less.

Is it a one year contract that allows Bogo to prove what he can do over a full season? Is it a long term contract? If it's the latter, what kind of numbers should we expect? Obviously I'm pulling for Bogo to play lights out when he gets back but if he struggles somewhat, the silver lining for the organization is that they might be able to lock him up at a very reasonable price. Again, let me re-iterate that I AM NOT HOPING FOR THIS! :)

Say he comes back and puts up 10 points in 30 games and plays just below how he played last year defensively -- would 5 or 6 years at $4m per be out of the question?

Worst case scenario would be a 2 year deal which would take him to UFA status. Chevy needs to sign him to a 1 year deal or lock him up as long as possible IMO.

I'm not one to want to offer a long term reward contract off of shortened sample size but I think Bogosian is an exception.

He always has had big promise. He really started showing what he could do last year, and that was all along playing with a pretty significant injury.

Bogosian tops out as a very rare type of NHL player, one that isn't easy to replace. He loves Winnipeg, he has an amazing personality and is very community minded. He is also very big into fitness.

I have no doubt the Jets will offer him a long term contract. Like I am going to say 100% guarantee unless something devastating happens.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not one to want to offer a long term reward contract off of shortened sample size but I think Bogosian is an exception.

He always has had big promise. He really started showing what he could do last year, and that was all along playing with a pretty significant injury.

Bogosian tops out as a very rare type of NHL player, one that isn't easy to replace. He loves Winnipeg, he has an amazing personality and is very community minded. He is also very big into fitness.

I have no doubt the Jets will offer him a long term contract. Like I am going to say 100% guarantee unless something devastating happens.

I agree. And I don't think Chevy will try to nickle and dime him. They will offer him fair market value which should be 5 M or a little north of that on a long term contract in the 5-8 year range. On the open market off last season, with his skill set and potential he would be offered at least that.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
For those who don't read the Free Press under the Scheifele article today they had an "On the Mend" subtitle saying: No changes in the status of blue-liner Zach Bogosian, who is being targeted with a return in mid-February.

facey*

He's a beast, killing my fantasy lineup having him still out and no reliable info available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad