Speculation: Z, Kronner and/or Ericsson next season

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Rafalski leaving early might have set a precedent for Kronwall as a younger player. He may realize that the quality of life tradeoff isn't worth a few million dollars when he's already a millionaire. That's what I'm hoping at least.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
the fact that a crippled old washed up player is our best shows how far we fallen.

Ryan Johansen's a pretty good player, right? How about Evgeny Kuznetsov? Are you aware that Zetterberg has as many points as the both of them in about the same number of games... with the both of them on vastly better rosters?

Our crippled, old, washed up player is 4 points from the top 20 in scoring league wide.

I wish the Red Wings had a couple more "washed up crippled players" that played like Zetterberg.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
the fact that a crippled old washed up player is our best shows how far we fallen.

That crippled old washed up guy who is 14th in the league in even strength scoring? The same decrepit old man who hasn't missed a single minute this season due to injury?

Zetterberg has been outstanding this year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Really, it'd be nice if we could just clear Ericsson's deal off the books somehow. It won't happen, but that's the roster/cap block that really gets in the way on the blueline. Kronwall, for his issues, is still serviceable back there, and could still hold his own on the third pair and reduced minutes. We need to be in a position where he could take the 16-17 minutes a night the younger guys are taking instead of the 19+ minutes he's been tasked with most nights.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Should be grateful you still get to watch a beast like Zetterberg doing his thing.

This team will struggle to find another player of his quality without drafting in the lottery.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Forget that... they'll struggle to find another player of his quality, anywhere.

Z was a PPG+, Selke-caliber C. Even in the lottery those are ridiculously hard to come by.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I agree with the general sentiment here regarding Z but do want to point out how different the sentiment was just a year ago.

He was criticized heavily, some even questioned his leadership. I think he should play out his years in Detroit but it'll be interesting to see if opinion shifts as his point totals likely diminish as he ages on a (hopefully) rebuilding team.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Ryan Johansen's a pretty good player, right? How about Evgeny Kuznetsov? Are you aware that Zetterberg has as many points as the both of them in about the same number of games... with the both of them on vastly better rosters?

Our crippled, old, washed up player is 4 points from the top 20 in scoring league wide.

I wish the Red Wings had a couple more "washed up crippled players" that played like Zetterberg.

Those are good players. You probably don't want them to be leading the team.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Swedes are just made of glass. Has anyone outside of Lidstrom played til 42?

Well, Daniel Alfredsson played when 41. In Detroit. Börje Salming was 39 when he was a Red Wing, just like Tomas Holmström.

Tommy Albelin was 42 when he played his last game. Kjell Samuelsson 41.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
The list of players from anywhere to play until 42 is incredibly short.

There's only about 25 players in the history of the NHL who have played to the age of 42. Swedish has nothing to do with it.

Well, Daniel Alfredsson played when 41. In Detroit. Börje Salming was 39 when he was a Red Wing, just like Tomas Holmström.

Tommy Albelin was 42 when he played his last game. Kjell Samuelsson 41.

I think he was being sarcastic.

Probert

Feb 27, 2008
Boston, MA
Z should continue to play - he's still effective and a great leader.
Kronner should go on full time LTIR(etirement).
Ericssson should be bought out or waived, or whatever we can do to get rid of him.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I agree with the general sentiment here regarding Z but do want to point out how different the sentiment was just a year ago.

He was criticized heavily, some even questioned his leadership. I think he should play out his years in Detroit but it'll be interesting to see if opinion shifts as his point totals likely diminish as he ages on a (hopefully) rebuilding team.

That's because people buy into recency bias all the time. Last year, Zetterberg was coming off the lowest PPG of his entire career and was 34? Easy to see how that might lead to a continued decline. Now that he's propped his stats back up, it's easier to see how great a player he was.

Last year, he was evidence of hanging onto the greats of yesteryear for too long because he was slow and uncreative and died down the stretch.

Everyone was thinking "man, Zetterberg used to be great." and seeing all the plays a mid-20s Z would make without a second thought get missed by a split second by mid 30s Z. Now, he's adjusting more to being slow and actually has Mantha, a player who can make some space, on his line and his playmaking is picking back up.
Now, those passes are hitting tape again and he looks way better.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Those are good players. You probably don't want them to be leading the team.

You are aware that Johansen is leading the Preds in points, right?

And that Kuznetsov is third in points behind only Backstrom who routinely plays perennial MVP candidate Alex Ovechkin, right? That he's only got 4 points less than Ovechkin.

I'd contend you DO want those guys leading your team in points.

I'd like to see who you do want leading your team in points if not those guys.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You are aware that Johansen is leading the Preds in points, right?

And that Kuznetsov is third in points behind only Backstrom who routinely plays perennial MVP candidate Alex Ovechkin, right? That he's only got 4 points less than Ovechkin.

I'd contend you DO want those guys leading your team in points.

I'd like to see who you do want leading your team in points if not those guys.

Zetterberg is 36, will be 37 by the start of next season.

It's great that Zetterberg is matching the production of 24 year old Kuznestov and Johansen. But I think the main point there was that we should be passing the torch and looking for someone else to take the reigns as our best player. And no one is stepping up and doing that.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

It's great that Zetterberg is matching the production of 24 year old Kuznestov and Johansen. But I think the main point there was that we should be passing the torch and looking for someone else to take the reigns as our best player. And no one is stepping up and doing that.

I mean, yeah, this is a big reason as to why we are in the predicament that we are in.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Talking about Zetterberg with such disdain is extremely disrespectful to his time and career here, frankly.

I have nothing bad to say about the guy, he can stay as long as he wants in my books. I'll be really sad whenever he goes, since he is likely the last left of the old guard.

And no, I don't want to trade him to a contender. I want him to retire playing 100% of his career with the Wings. I wanted that for both Datsyuk and Z. I don't care if that makes me selfish :razz:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

You certainly do want that. I was just trying to put into context where Z is right now. You do want a younger player to step up and do that... but 24 or 36, I want players who are among the top 20 in scorers. I want guys who are keeping pace with Alex Ovechkin.

Right now, you need Nyquist and Tatar and Larkin and Mantha to all see Z giving it his all and being the best player on the ice and take it to heart that it should be them. Get them to force Z off the top line because their collective play makes that the right choice, not how close Z is to his AARP card.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Ericsson & Kronwall can go elsewhere, they are no longer needed. Even though Ericsson has never been useful during his tenure, but that's neither here nor there.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Ericsson & Kronwall can go elsewhere, they are no longer needed. Even though Ericsson has never been useful during his tenure, but that's neither here nor there.

You think Ericsson has never been useful during his 9 season tenure? Seriously?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad