Speculation: Z, Kronner and/or Ericsson next season

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Does anyone see any possibility that any of our beloved Swedes decide to do the Pav and move home and/or play in the KHL next year?

All of them have a lot of wear and tear and maybe moving to a less stressful league gives them a few extra years playing. It might also open an opportunity to play for the Three Crowns in one more Olympics if the NHL doesn't come around.

Let's face it: they will not get another crack at a Cup in their careers if they stay with the Wings. Yes, they'd be leaving money on the table, but they've made a fair bit and a pretty good contract could be had in the KHL or a European league.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Why would they go play in Russia? Kronny will be on the LTIR shortly. E is making 4M per, and I can't see Z leaving.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Z will play until his back gives out. Dudes a warrior and already has a cup. I don't think winning a cup as a mercenary would mean much to any of these guys.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah z doesn't care about winning that much where he would leave. Same goes for kronwall

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If any of them leave it's going to be because Holland finds a way of getting rid of them or they are just too beat up to play anywhere. If Ericsson's hip issues are as bad as some articles made them out to be in the pre-season, he might be forced to retire. Kronwall's knee issues are well documented.

Push comes to shove, they'll all finish their deals.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Swedes are just made of glass. Has anyone outside of Lidstrom played til 42?

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
When they call it quits they will literally call it quits. Kronwall will/has no knees and Ericsson will get hip surgery and call it a career

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Well I sure hope not, zetterberg is our best player (sadly) and a great mentor for the kids. I really doubt however that Kronwall has 2 more seasons in him, he'll play most of next season probably, injure his knee again somehow and then LTIR.

Ericsson, well he's been decent this season and he really isn't making much money. But getting a fractured wrist must be devastating for him, I remember that his fractured finger was bothering him for a long time, didn't he even say that it will never be like normal. and then he fractures the wrist, man. Add bad hips on top of that and I doubt he'll play much longer.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Z already stated that he plans on playing out his contract, He said that he wouldn't do the same thing to Detroit that Datsyuk did and i believe him. Kronwall will more then likely go on LTIR his last 2 years of his contract. Not sure about Ericsson but i believe he too plays out his contract in Detroit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Z is our best player in best shape. He will finish his contract easily.

Everybody is whining how bad and injured he is, but Z has missed only 5 games after his back surgery season. Only Tatar and Glendening have played more games.

People should stop writing this crap about Zett's possible injuries. Guy is healthier than Yzerman was at same age and as good.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Unless there is another injury or a dramatic change in the condition of his knee from where it is today, Kronwall can't go on LTIR(etirement). To be placed on LTIR, players must be deemed unable to play by the team physician (notice this does not say play effectively). Given that Kronwall just played a combined 43:29 on back to back nights, I think we can safely assume he is physically capable of playing in the NHL (just not necessarily capable of playing well).

Look at players currently on LTIR(etirement) right now: Pronger, Franzen, Vitale, Horton, Bolland. These are players with severe concussion issues or debilitating back injuries that have rendered them physically incapable of participating in an NHL game. For them, it is not a matter of pain tolerance or declining effectiveness (as is currently the case for Kronwall). Rather, no competent physician would ever clear them to play in a contact sport at the highest level.

Now for the practical (i.e. $$) side of things: the Wings will not put Kronwall on LTIR unless they are absolutely required to (that is, he suffers an injury performing his duties for the team that render him physically unable to play). Why? Because the Wings aren't going to skirt league rules and willingly pay Kronwall another $5 million (the amount left on his contract) for a minor cap benefit. And how minor is it?

If Kronwall retires this summer, the Wings will suffer a recapture penalty of $2.125 million in each of the next two seasons. If Kronwall goes on LTIR(etirement), the Wings may exceed the cap by the amount of his $4.75 million salary during the season (that's the key). However, the teams may only exceed the salary cap by 10% during the offseason (let's assume the cap increases to $75 million next year, so the Wings could exceed that by $7.5 million). There is no LTIR during the offseason. With Franzen also currently on LTIR(etirement), the Wings would be able to exceed the cap by a combined $8.7 million during the season, but only $7.5 million in the offseason. Therefore Kronwall's contract would effectively still prevent them from spending within $1.2 million of the cap during the offseason (when most player personnel moves are made).

The bottom line: LTIR isn't a 'get out of jail free' card and the Wings aren't going make moves of questionable compliance with CBA and pay Kronwall a hefty sum of money all for roughly a $900,000 cap benefit (depending on how the cap increases). If Kronwall doesn't play next year, it is far more likely that he will simple retire.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Pretty sure between now and next year they can determine his knee is no longer healthy enough to play on. Most players over 35 if it came down to it could fail a physical if it's what they and the team wanted. Would kronner do that? No,imo he seems like the sort that will play until he legit can't.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Z is our best player in best shape. He will finish his contract easily.

Everybody is whining how bad and injured he is, but Z has missed only 5 games after his back surgery season. Only Tatar and Glendening have played more games.

People should stop writing this crap about Zett's possible injuries. Guy is healthier than Yzerman was at same age and as good.
He's had a surprisingly good season, and he takes great care of himself. But even without any back injury history, both Babcock and Blashill have leaned too heavily on Z for a lot of years, and sooner or later it's likely to catch up with him.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Pretty sure between now and next year they can determine his knee is no longer healthy enough to play on. Most players over 35 if it came down to it could fail a physical if it's what they and the team wanted. Would kronner do that? No,imo he seems like the sort that will play until he legit can't.
Is there any precedent for players being placed on LTIR because they kinda, sorta don't want to play hockey anymore? I'm guessing not, given that (as I pointed out above) teams don't like handing out millions of dollars for little benefit when they don't have to. Everyone keeps pointing it out as an option for guys like Kronwall and Zetterberg, and yet there is little evidence of any team actually using LTIR(etirement) for any reason other than a legitimate, career ending injury.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
Is there any precedent for players being placed on LTIR because they kinda, sorta don't want to play hockey anymore? I'm guessing not, given that (as I pointed out above) teams don't like handing out millions of dollars for little benefit when they don't have to. Everyone keeps pointing it out as an option for guys like Kronwall and Zetterberg, and yet there is little evidence of any team actually using LTIR(etirement) for any reason other than a legitimate, career ending injury.

I wont claim to know all the details about the situation but the media, here in Toronto, constantly claim this is the exact situation that Joffrey Lupul and the Toronto Maple Leafs have going.

That said, I'm not an advocate for the whole LTIR magic solution to the Wings cap problems. I think it's foolish for any of us to hope, let alone expect, the Wings or any Wings player to use the scapegoat of a phony LTIR situation.

For more info on the Lupul situation...

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Not a chance. Most Swedes are reluctant to go back and play on big ice late in their careers, but more importantly they'd never dishonor a contract.

About going home to finish the career the only Swedish veterans(500+ NHL games) to do so in the last 20 years that I can remember were Kenny Jönsson, Sammy Påhlsson, Nic Wallin and P-J Axelsson. Tallinder doesn't count, he was done as an NHLer. But the common denominator was that their contracts ran out before doing so.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Unless they LTIR that is a punishing cap recapture. Don't want to see our first round traded just so Holland can sign another plug.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad