Z-Bubble Shaft vs. Ultra-Lite Shaft

krutch11

Dec 29, 2007
Ontario
I've narrowed it down to these 2. Just need help deciding which one. The only difference is I can get a Z-Bubble in an intermediate with 75 flex (i usually use a 65 flex stick) and the Ultra Lite only comes in a senior with a low of 85 flex. I'm not a fan of stiff sticks so I'm debating whether I should go with the Z-Bubble just because it has my size or go with the Ultra Lite. I believe the Z-Bubble is more meaning it must have something the Ultra Lite doesn't.

What are your thoughts? Go with the Z-Bubble Intermediate Shaft or Ultra Lite?

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I've narrowed it down to these 2. Just need help deciding which one. The only difference is I can get a Z-Bubble in an intermediate with 75 flex (i usually use a 65 flex stick) and the Ultra Lite only comes in a senior with a low of 85 flex. I'm not a fan of stiff sticks so I'm debating whether I should go with the Z-Bubble just because it has my size or go with the Ultra Lite. I believe the Z-Bubble is more meaning it must have something the Ultra Lite doesn't.

What are your thoughts? Go with the Z-Bubble Intermediate Shaft or Ultra Lite?

I don't know much about either but I'd say don't go by price. Also note that if you use a stiffer shaft and adjust to it, you'll find you have a much harder shot which is a plus (provided you practice and play regularly, like 3+ times a week). Since you normally use 65, 75 would be a good start. Oh and if price is a restriction, the cheaper shaft means a nicer blade so keep that in mind.

SiouxPride

Dec 26, 2006
WINNIPEG!
I don't know much about either but I'd say don't go by price. Also note that if you use a stiffer shaft and adjust to it, you'll find you have a much harder shot which is a plus (provided you practice and play regularly, like 3+ times a week). Since you normally use 65, 75 would be a good start. Oh and if price is a restriction, the cheaper shaft means a nicer blade so keep that in mind.

i agree with you, stiffer stick = harder shot,

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007
yes stiffer stick = harder shot but if you have problems flexing the stick effectivley then i would go for the 75 flex instead of 85 becasue trust me i've used both 85 and 65 recently and there is quite a differnce. so i say z-bubble

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
i agree with you, stiffer stick = harder shot,

Only if you are strong enough to get it to flex. If someone is using an intermediate shaft with a lower flex rating. A senior 85 will feel like a piece of pipe. He'll probably end up having to cut it down, which will increase the sticks stiffness. 85 could end up being 95 or 100 when all is said and done.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
I think you should jump outta the 90's with those easton shafts, those babies are old, I'm sure some will say they get the job done but there is way more out there that jolts up the bang for the buck goods.

:golfnana:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I have a z-bubble 100 flex and it's too stiff for me and I have an average shot but tend to take more snapshots and wrist shots than slappers. I am now using a 85 flex stealth and love it. I can get more zip on my slapper with the extra flex and it's plenty accurate on the wrist and snapshots. The lower flex also has more 'feel' and I can tell where the puck is on my blade better.

Stiffer does not = fast shot if you don't have the power to use it. Brett Hull is famous for using the lowest flex he could to get the max whip effect for his slapshots. I heard he actually used around a 60 flex.

Back to your question though - the z-bubble is tremendously rugged. I take it out on the ice if it looks like there's going to be a lot of slashing or the need to do some selective cross checking to clear the crease - it's as solid a stick I've had. Don't know much about the ultra lite.

Good luck

krutch11

Dec 29, 2007
Ontario
Only if you are strong enough to get it to flex. If someone is using an intermediate shaft with a lower flex rating. A senior 85 will feel like a piece of pipe. He'll probably end up having to cut it down, which will increase the sticks stiffness. 85 could end up being 95 or 100 when all is said and done.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm only 120lbs so I highly doubt I'll be able to flex an 85 yet alone be able to flex the 85 after It's done being cut. So yeah I'm definately going to need a intermediate so I guess the Ultra lite is a no go.

If I shouldn't get a z-bubble what should I get? I really don't want to get a tapered shaft yet (probably will get one for my next shaft after I find out what blade patterns I like most) because I want to be able to use some wood blades. Who makes the best wood blades while I mentioned it?

Is the TPS Redlite XN10 better than the Z-Bubble?

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
Better is a relative term - hard to say based on personal taste.

What sticks have you used thus far and liked? What curves have used and liked?

What position are you playing and what shot selection are you most going to use?

A D-man taking slappers and wanting to keep shots low would prefer a much different stick/blade selection than a winger stickhandling through traffice and taking wristers and backhanders in tight to the net wanting to go upstairs.

Help us help you... ;)

krutch11

Dec 29, 2007
Ontario
Well this is my first step into the composite world as I've used woods for my entire life and decided to throw away some of that christmas money and see what all the hype is about. So I really don't have any experiance with other shafts/sticks. I play center, 90% wristshots, 9.5% snapshots and 0.5% slapshots. Left handed, need intermediate shaft, probably going to try out a curve similar to a sakic curve. I'm definately a stick handler deker, if I have time to deke, I'll do it. I baby my sticks and they usually don't take to much of a beating since I'm usually the one hitting people.

Hope this helps you help me :)

Last edited:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
Ah - then you're much like me. I'm a winger and love the Sakic curve. I've tried many different patterns over my 20+ years of playing but this one is now my standard. Easy to lift the puck, rounded toe for easy drag, not too much curve you can go backhand and raise it quickly, and not too long to get off a quick shot and take face-offs well.

I'd suggest a grip shaft if you have a choice - I've used both with and without and prefer the extra 'tack' feel.

I also have a Mission stick and like that a lot - the Rafalski curve is very similar to the Sakic, just a bit less curve and slightly more closed face. There's a pretty good deal on the Z-2's right now which come with 2 blades. http://www.hockeygiant.com/misz2stksr.html

Here's the blade patterns: http://www.hockeygiant.com/bladechart.html
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-blade-patterns.html
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-blade-patterns.html

If you just want to see if you are going to like a composite in general you can't beat this: http://www.hockeygiant.com/rbk6kshtsr.html I coach several players that use the 1 piece version of this stick and love it - so for $30 on sale you can experiment with a few blades to find one you might like best (be careful of the taper vs. non-taper compatibility though).

Here's a good sale on pro stock wood blades: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-pro-stock-blade-wood-tapered.html (tapered)
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-pro-stock-blade-wood-standard.html (standard)

Personally, I'd get this bargain combo if I were in your position:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/sfrbl2combointc.html

It's not expensive and is a good trial for how well you will like the composites and affords you to try some of those pro stock wood blades on sale above. 75 Flex isn't that much and should let you get some flex at your size.

Hope that helps. ;)

krutch11

Dec 29, 2007
Ontario
It's not expensive and is a good trial for how well you will like the composites and affords you to try some of those pro stock wood blades on sale above. 75 Flex isn't that much and should let you get some flex at your size.

Hope that helps. ;)

Thanks :) I was looking around and I'll probably buy a non tapered shaft just so I can have a wide choice of blades. Here's a few shafts I picked out. Let me know what you think.

- Easton Z-Bubble Grip $99.99
- TPS Redlite XN10 $104.99
- TPS R2 Armor Control Grip $99.99
- TPS Redlite Control $89.99

And in a few years when I go to buy a tapered shaft after I find out what blades I like:

- Easton Synergy II Grip $114.99
- RBK 7k Sickick Tapered $74.99
- Warrior Dolomite 2 Grip Tapered $109.99

On another note, I'll most likely use wood blades for a while then try a composite blade and see if I like them better.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
I think you're taking an expensive gamble spending that much on a stick if you've never used a composite before - but at least you're doing the shaft/blade option rather than a 1 piece. I'd spend half that much on this: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/sfrbl2combointc.html to make sure you like the composite feel first. Overall there's about 10% difference in the performance of those $100+ sticks to those 50-75% difference in price of thos clearance bargains like the RBK and Mission. But I can't say anything about wanting to go for the top dollar sticks - that Stealth I'm using was brand new on the market when I bought it for $170

I've never used the TPS's but I know my best friend got one and loves it. It's super light - much like the Stealth I'm currently using.

If you get a medium flex, I don't think you can go wrong with the Z-bubble and the sakic curve on the blades.

krutch11

Dec 29, 2007
Ontario
I know I'm going to like the composite shaft because I've used my friends before, I just don't know about the blade so that's why I'm willing to spend close to top dollar for a shaft. I still can't decide which shaft will do me the best though. I'm starting to have second thoughts about starting with a standard. I know I'll probably end up using all composite just because I love lightweight so I'm thinking maybe I should start with tapered. I never knew buying a new stick could be so stressful lol :confused:

Burnaby_Joe*

I've used both shafts, and I like the Bubble better. The shaft is tapered and thinner than the Ultra Lite. The Ultra Lite was popular back in the day, mostly because NHL'ers used them, but I think it's a good shaft. You can't go wrong with either stick, but the Bubble will cost more $$$$$.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The only real difference between the Z-Bubble and the Ultra Lite is the thickness of the shaft. The Z-Bubble shaft is thinner than the standard shaft but it "bubbles" out at the bottom so that it can accept a standard hosel blade. A thinner shaft will obviously be lighter, and many people like the feel better (although this is definitely subjective).

My favorite set-up would be a Z-Bubble shaft with a Z-Carbon blade. I find that the two piece set-up has a better "feel" (again, subjective), is much more durable, and at least up until recently this set-up was actually lighter than most one piece composites (I'm not sure if this is still true in comparison to newer high end one-pieces).

Honestly, though, I would recommend trying an Ultra Lite first. You may end up hating the composite feel and the performance difference between it and the Z-Bubble is almost certainly not worth the difference in price. I would have never changed to a Z-Bubble if I was paying full price.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Chances are with the Z-Bubble, you take at hack at the bubble area and it breaks..

I'm biased though as I love my Ultra Lite, it's a tank. It's just an all around performer and to boot, I got it cheap. The thing has lost most of the decorative decals and stuff on it, and it just plain white with all sorts of black spots on it, and has knicks, etc. But it still performs just fine and has plenty of pop and feel.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I can't play at all with anything over 75 flex. Even the Easton Cyclone 70 flex, which is the same as the Ultra Lite but with a thinner grip, was way too stiff for me. Couldn't flex it at all. Balance and shot accuracy was great though.

XN10 Redlite was very light, so much so that I couldn't balance it with a wood blade. A Z-Carbon worked well though. It was whippy enough, but it torqued really bad and my shot accuracy was terrible.

I used a couple other standard shafts, and what I found was that there is a tradeoff between flex and accuracy. Whippy shafts under 80 flex get quick shots off and feel great on the ice, but their accuracy is not good. Stiff shafts over 80 flex making receiving passes easier and accuracy is great, but they're almost impossible for me to load up and shoot in traffic.

What worked well for me was a tapered combo. I'm using the L-2 right now, and the accuracy is as good as the stiff Easton standard shaft and the shots come off quicker than the XN10. I wouldn't waste my time with another standard taper combo unless it was for pond hockey or something.

I'd recommend a Dolomite, Easton Synergy, or Bauer Vapor combo. If you can find the Mission L-2 on clearance, it's a great deal. Between the two shafts you listed, the Z-Bubble is supposed to act more like a tapered shaft, but I picked up the L-2 before I had a chance to try one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad