• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
John Flyers Fan said:
Do you think that $4.5 million is more of a loss to Yzerman ... or $10 million is to a guy like Illitch, Jacobs, Karmonos, Cablevision, Comcast, Disney, Wirtz, Kroenke ???

I don't know and I don't care. My lifetime earnings (at least as far as salary is concerned) won't total 4.5 million.

What I do know is that Steve Yzerman's lifetime earnings as a hockey player are much greater than 4.5 million and that 4.5 million probably isn't a whole lot to him given his earning potential when he's done playing - doing TV, management, etc.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
kremlin said:
There's not going to be a next generation of NHL players if the NHLPA keeps slamming down solid, substantial offers. Nothing is Goodenough for Goodenow
the last offer had nothing in it for the players.

every point was a give back on the players part compared to the last CBA. ya,. thats solid negotiating !

dr

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If I had a nickel for everytime someone said "players make more in a year then ill make in a lifetime," I would almost make in a lifetime what a player earns in a year.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
pacde said:

The NHL has proposed a salary floor that some teams, who are currently losing money, would have trouble getting to. The latest was $32 million. In your post you talked about how a team like the Flames can't make money with a $35 million payroll, so what good does a CBA which forces them to spend that much do? If teams are currently losing money on sub-$30 million payrolls, is it reasonable to force them to spend $32 or $35 million? I don't think so.

pacde

Dec 9, 2004
nyr7andcounting said:
The NHL has proposed a salary floor that some teams, who are currently losing money, would have trouble getting to. The latest was $32 million. In your post you talked about how a team like the Flames can't make money with a $35 million payroll, so what good does a CBA which forces them to spend that much do? If teams are currently losing money on sub-$30 million payrolls, is it reasonable to force them to spend $32 or $35 million? I don't think so.

Those arent the only CBA solutions proposed - there have been revenue sharing solutions as well as tax solutions that would see the teams with fan support generate extra revenue. The league as a whole wants to see 45% of the revenues and distribute that among the owners. Im not sure if you have been keeping up to date on the proposals but I think the floor is reasonable.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
If I had a nickel for everytime someone said "players make more in a year then ill make in a lifetime," I would almost make in a lifetime what a player earns in a year.

Probably not.

I wasn't complaining. Someone asked me who's loss would be bigger. I responded by saying I don't know because those amounts of money hold little real value to me because I can't conceive of having such a large amount.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
John Flyers Fan said:
Do you think that $4.5 million is more of a loss to Yzerman ... or $10 million is to a guy like Illitch, Jacobs, Karmonos, Cablevision, Comcast, Disney, Wirtz, Kroenke ???
...or $800,000 to a lower tier player with a couple years left in his career?

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:

I'm pretty sure if Jacobs or Wirtz lose even a dollar that they can't sleep for a week.

A Good Flying Bird*

EdBelfour20 said:
Yzerman mayhave nothing to gain, but also nothing to lose. He wants to be a respected hero among the PA but this stance hurts his reputation among fans

I am a fan.
This does nothing to belittle his rep in my book.
He's a classy guy who sticks to his principles.
And nobody can ever say he put himself before the game

A Good Flying Bird*

mooseOAK said:
Exactly my thought, you are already selling them out to appease your collective egos at this point in time, Steve. They'll never make this money back.

Don't be so sure.
Fighting this cap could be huge for players.

Think about the next CBA.
IF the owners win a hard salary cap, the next CBA will be ALL about gauranteed contracts.
There is almost no way a league can function with a salary cap and without the ability to get out of contracts.
Five or Six years from now, that will be the issue. You think fans are behind the idea of a cap?
Wait and see how they feel about gauranteed contracts when their budgets are eaten up by high paid veterans who can no longer produce enough anywhere near enough to justify their salaries.

Thinking otherwise is naive.
That's gotta be in the back of the players' minds

A Good Flying Bird*

s3por2d said:
I don't know and I don't care. My lifetime earnings (at least as far as salary is concerned) won't total 4.5 million.

What I do know is that Steve Yzerman's lifetime earnings as a hockey player are much greater than 4.5 million and that 4.5 million probably isn't a whole lot to him given his earning potential when he's done playing - doing TV, management, etc.

So the few million lost by Illitch and other owners probably don't mean much to them, do they?

And, players don't go into television and management and make anywhere near $4.5 Million a year

Sammy*

What a misrepresentation the headline is as well as the name of this thread. I guess if you call "selling out" having guaranteed salaries in excess 1 mil or so, profit sharing kicking on a 50/50 basis when the owners have made the grand sum of about 3% on an investment of about 100 mil.
Yep, signing something like that sure would be "selling out".
What a tool.

Sammy*

Newsguyone said:
I am a fan.
This does nothing to belittle his rep in my book.
He's a classy guy who sticks to his principles.
And nobody can ever say he put himself before the game
Hey, I like Stevie, but, how in gods name would he have put himself before the game before. Its not like he was underpaid. He was been paid like a frickin King.
Its just now, he as well as the NHLPA seems to think its their god given right to be make more than their industry can afford. Thats the one & only reason for their stance,cause they think they should be able to continue to **** & pillage.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Funny how they aren't "selling out the next generation" and yet changes to entry level contracts seem to be one of the first things they were ready to give to the owners as a concession.

And of course one could make the obvious point that this lockout is hurting the NHL and their revenues which in turn likely means less money for the next generation when the NHL comes back.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
I think this statement is funny becuase you better believe that the younger players comming into the league are gonna be willing to sell out Yzerman. Do you think Crosby, Ovechkin, Phaneuf and Lehtonen are gonna follow the older players into the abyss or play under the owners new system when it comes their time to shine? I don't even think that question needs an answer.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
Doesn't Steve and the players Assoc. realize that if they bend now, when teh game recovers, they will get it all back and then some?

The game will get better and revenues and profits will go up. The players need to swallow for now and then go the juggular when it is time.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Newsguyone said:
Right.
Where are all the player-haters, impugning the integrity of Steve Yzerman, who has played himself into a cripple?
Lots of silence on this one.

How much money has Yzerman made out of the NHL? $30m, $40m, $50m? $50m for a couple of bad knees.Tell it to some farm worker who loses an an arm in a piece of farm machinery for $25K a year. Or some beer league amatuer or $500/week UHLer who blows out his knees for the love of the game. See how many tears they shed.

I'm sorry, but that cripple line gets no sympathy from me. Yzerman has been very, very, very well compensated.

mooseOAK*

Newsguyone said:
Don't be so sure.
Fighting this cap could be huge for players.

Think about the next CBA.
IF the owners win a hard salary cap, the next CBA will be ALL about gauranteed contracts.
There is almost no way a league can function with a salary cap and without the ability to get out of contracts.
Five or Six years from now, that will be the issue. You think fans are behind the idea of a cap?
Wait and see how they feel about gauranteed contracts when their budgets are eaten up by high paid veterans who can no longer produce enough anywhere near enough to justify their salaries.

Thinking otherwise is naive.
That's gotta be in the back of the players' minds
The NHL is apparently looking at maximum contract lengths of three years, that will prevent the teams from getting burned by too many long term contracts as the NBA has been recently.

Anyway, a cancelled season is quite the legacy to leave to the next generation.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
AM said:
You notice how he moves over at the trough to let the little ones in!

Seriously, this is the wittiest comment I've read for months, and there have been some real classics!

Too funny !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->