Yzerman withdraws from Olympic consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
A patriot 'til the end.

It's one thing to step up and play for your country, and it's another to know when you may not be the most appropriate guy for the job, and have enough modesty to step aside. I hope whoever does get his spot (whether it be Stall, Spezza, Crosby or whoever) does their best to match the effort level that Stevie Y. would have given out there.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Alberta Yote said:
Now if Mario can bring himself to make the same decision.

Is Mario making his withdrawal conditional?

Either overtly or in a *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* kind of way?

The sad part is, even if Crosby were picked on his own merit, if Lemieux withdraws people will automatically put two and two together.

Diffuser

Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa
Alberta Yote said:
No surprise from a class act. Now if Mario can bring himself to make the same decision.

I think Canada needs at least one veteran/leader of Mario or Yzerman's caliber, and if Stevie's out, I think Mario needs to be in, regardless of how he's doing this season. (Which isn't that bad, all things condsidered. He can still produce.)

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Diffuser said:
I think Canada needs at least one veteran/leader of Mario or Yzerman's caliber, and if Stevie's out, I think Mario needs to be in, regardless of how he's doing this season. (Which isn't that bad, all things condsidered. He can still produce.)

Sakic? Last time I checked he was a pretty good leader. :teach:

PEli*

NyQuil said:
Is Mario making his withdrawal conditional?

Either overtly or in a *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* kind of way?

The sad part is, even if Crosby were picked on his own merit, if Lemieux withdraws people will automatically put two and two together.

I don't know. Even if it crossed my mind, I wouldn't fault Gretzky and co. for picking a player they would want to build teams around in later years. I don't see a problem with Crosby making the team over a Spezza or Staal if that is their reasoning. They've picked more teams than we have.

Kudos to Yzerman for knowing what's best for the team. Or believing it at least. This is a really classy move on a guy who probably wouldn't produce on the scoresheet but would bring a ton of intangibles to a team with an influx of new, young talent. It would be very cool to see him step in as a coach in the future. He's the type of guy that could really make a team buckle down.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Diffuser said:

While Mario's ability to produce has been questionable, his defensive side has unfortunatly left no doubt.

First class move by Yzerman.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
flip i love Steve Yzerman. what a great player! i hope whoever they pick will be just as good.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Very nice move by StevieY. I think Mario should go, as I've been of the opinion all along that one of the two should be there. A HOFer has a lot of influence in the dressing room.

Diffuser

Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa
SenSk9tSen said:
Sakic? Last time I checked he was a pretty good leader. :teach:

As a general leader, yes. But it's the intagibles that make Mario a more preferable leader. It's a combination of his ability to deflect pressure, and inspire his teammates not only with a calm demeanor. His status as a hockey legend doesn't hurt either. :bow:

EDIT: ^^ And what he said.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Diffuser said:

Team Canada will not be hurting for leadership. If you really want Mario's leadership around, bring him on as an assistant coach. Unless he can do the job on the ice, he will only hurt the team.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
Very nice move by StevieY. I think Mario should go, as I've been of the opinion all along that one of the two should be there. A HOFer has a lot of influence in the dressing room.

The team has plenty of experience: Sakic, Niedermayer, Blake, Foote, Brodeur and Pronger. Then you have guys like Iginla, Gagne, and the Tampa guys that all have won multiple championships (Cups, Olympics, Wolrd Cups, etc.)

MacB

Oct 17, 2005
Resolute said:
Team Canada will not be hurting for leadership. If you really want Mario's leadership around, bring him on as an assistant coach. Unless he can do the job on the ice, he will only hurt the team.

Agreed, this will not be a team full of rookies. Sakic, Iginla, Foote, Jova, Niedemeyer, are all great leaders.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Smart move by The Captain...I hope he can just make it through the season in Detroit. Wouldn't be a good idea to fly over to Italy and blow out his knees over there. A younger and more deserving guy will get to play...Canada definitely will benefit as will the Red Wings.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
John Flyers Fan said:
The team has plenty of experience: Sakic, Niedermayer, Blake, Foote, Brodeur and Pronger. Then you have guys like Iginla, Gagne, and the Tampa guys that all have won multiple championships (Cups, Olympics, Wolrd Cups, etc.)

How could you forget Ryan Smyth? :)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lionel Hutz said:

are you talking about current or definete? There's only 1 guy in the world who is a current player already in the hall of fame

Sticky*

Diffuser said:

I think they have more than enough leadership with Sakick, Iginla, and Ryan Smyth. Good on Yzerman for this decision, now Lemieux should do the same so Staal and Spezza could be on the team.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
go kim johnsson 514 said:
are you talking about current or definete? There's only 1 guy in the world who is a current player already in the hall of fame

The HOFer comment was obviously in relation to Mario. I'm of the opinion that one of Mario or Stevie Y should go, but not both.

Claypool_*

sevenSteen said:
Now if Lemieux would learn..

Yeah, he totally jepordized canada's chances in the 2002 olympics and the 04 World Cup. :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->