Confirmed with Link: Yzerman to play in Alumni game!

jetwing13

Mar 4, 2013
Does anyone know if this game will be broadcast outside of the Detroit area? I would love to watch it!

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I don't know about the US but I can't imagine that CBC is not bringing at least one of the games if not both. They brought the alumni game between the Rangers and the Flyers, so I can't see them not bringing at least one of these.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Why would they? He's one of the more loved Red Wings of that era.

Probably just because I find it insulting as someone who appreciates the greats of the Red Wings to see all these great names and then "Darren McCarty". And they don't even show a picture of his pre-comeback days.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Probably just because I find it insulting as someone who appreciates the greats of the Red Wings to see all these great names and then "Darren McCarty". And they don't even show a picture of his pre-comeback days.

Come on, now. Darren was a big part of three Cups and was there for the 4th. The Grind Line is as much a part of those Cups as Stevie was.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I heard that all of the players who have had their numbers retired get to wear their banners as capes during the game.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What would the lines look like? Any clue?

Brendan Shanahan - Steve Yzerman - Tomas Holmström
Vyacheslav Kozlov - Sergei Fedorov - Doug Brown
Martin Lapointe - Igor Larionov - Darren McCarty
Kirk Maltby - Kris Draper - Joey Kocur
Ted Lindsay - Alex Delvecchio - Garry Unger
Paul Ysebaert - Jimmy Carson - Pat Verbeek
Petr Klima - Brent Fedyk - Dallas Drake
Dennis Polonich - Red Berenson - Mickey Redmond

Nicklas Lidström - Larry Murphy
Slava Fetisov - Paul Coffey
Jiri Fischer - Chris Chelios
Steve Duchene - Brian Rafalski
Mathieu Schneider - Aaron Ward
Jason Woolley - Mathieu Dandenault
Mark Howe - (Vladimir Konstantinov)

Chris Osgood
Mike Vernon
Eddie Mio
Manny Legace

That defence. :D :laugh:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Come on, now. Darren was a big part of three Cups and was there for the 4th. The Grind Line is as much a part of those Cups as Stevie was.

Yeah, but at the same time Maltby and Draper were both there and are not nearly as talked about as much as McCarty. His big draw is how he had such a hard fall and came back. Yeah, admirable, but his time in Detroit after his first stint is sorely overrated.

I know why they do it (fans eat it up), but I don't have to like it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, but at the same time Maltby and Draper were both there and are not nearly as talked about as much as McCarty. His big draw is how he had such a hard fall and came back. Yeah, admirable, but his time in Detroit after his first stint is sorely overrated.

I know why they do it (fans eat it up), but I don't have to like it.

Given how many Avs actually openly admit how much that March 26 game and beating of Lemieux messed with their locker room it is a part why he gets a lot of credit. He was also a really accessible player back in his playing days. I mean Draper and Maltby hawked Fords to us, they were pretty loved, most of that team had rock star status.

Also keep in mind when we talk about the grind line, in those first two cups, McCarty was up the lineup, he wasn't with those guys most nights during the playoffs and regular season. He played a lot with Yzerman, Larionov, Sandström, Lapointe, Brown and Shanahan during that time period. The grind line back then was Draper, Maltby and Kocur. I think people forget he had a bigger role there too, just like later in his career his importance was over blown, before the drinking caught up, DMac was a little better player than I think he is remembered as being.

That couple months in 97 were pretty legendary, he beats up one of the biggest villains in Detroit sports history and scores the Cup clinching goal and a beauty at that ending the drought. Not hard to market that, through in his Windsor roots a lot of elements helped him take off, one of which was back then it looked like he was going to be a better hockey player than he truly ended up being.

On the topic at hand, of course like everyone else I am jacked to see Stevie put on the Winged-Wheel again, I guess something good did come out of that lockout.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Awesome!! Can't wait. Not be a downer but wish Probert could be there. RIP. You know he'd be there one last time.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Chelios-Schneider
Fisher-???

Could probably all lace them up right now and compete in teh NHL. :laugh2:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad