Rumor: Yzerman scouting Jets

• Thread starter Deleted member 218451
  • Start date

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
My personal opinion, which does not represent anyone but myself, is that excluding the obvious untouchables (91-86-77), there are three options for the basis of the package from Tampa:

Don't do that. We're not supposed to remember every player's number in 31 teams and then other leagues. :)

Reactions: SoupaTroupa

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
The terminology of top 6 and bottom 6 is becoming antiquated. The difference from the #2 to #3 lines on a lot of teams now is minimal. You need to roll 4 lines these days if you are going to be successful.

You probably meant need to roll 3 bona fide scoring lines. I mean, most teams seem to have rolled 4 lines since the last Ice Age or so.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
As others have said, I really don't think we're looking for a big trade at this point of the season. We have 8 defensemen at the moment so trading Sustr or Koekkoek wouldn't be a big surprise.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
As others have said, I really don't think we're looking for a big trade at this point of the season. We have 8 defensemen at the moment so trading Sustr or Koekkoek wouldn't be a big surprise.

Agree. Our D is fine. Adding Trouba is a luxury at this point. They may revisit it in the offseason. If the rumor is true that he wants to come to Tampa because his gf lives close then maybe this is something that happens next offseason. Right now Dotchin is playing his role just fine. Trouba is an upgrade sure but right now it would either cost Sergachev who I don’t think we want to trade or Johnson ++ which leaves open our 3C spot which Yzerman would have to fill internally or through trade. If we couldn’t fill internally we would have to give up more assets. Which just doesn’t sound like something SY would do.

Unless SY is able to escape like a bandit in this by only having to give up picks and prospects then I don’t see why TB would trade for Trouba. We just don’t need him at this point. Someone who could play with Johnson would be much more appealing in the short term future. Next offseason is a time where we would possibly explore a trade for Trouba if that is true, but for now any talk of Trouba to TB doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me unless the trade details end up different than I think they would.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Agree. Our D is fine. Adding Trouba is a luxury at this point. They may revisit it in the offseason. If the rumor is true that he wants to come to Tampa because his gf lives close then maybe this is something that happens next offseason. Right now Dotchin is playing his role just fine. Trouba is an upgrade sure but right now it would either cost Sergachev who I don’t think we want to trade or Johnson ++ which leaves open our 3C spot which Yzerman would have to fill internally or through trade. If we couldn’t fill internally we would have to give up more assets. Which just doesn’t sound like something SY would do.

Unless SY is able to escape like a bandit in this by only having to give up picks and prospects then I don’t see why TB would trade for Trouba. We just don’t need him at this point. Someone who could play with Johnson would be much more appealing in the short term future. Next offseason is a time where we would possibly explore a trade for Trouba if that is true, but for now any talk of Trouba to TB doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me unless the trade details end up different than I think they would.

Tend to agree on this one though I have to wonder if the trade could be more than just Trouba and Copp would be the piece replacing Johnson on the 3rd line at 1/5th the cost and is more suited for that role and is very good friends with Trouba. It makes sense CAP wise down the road as well as TBL will be a CAP team for the foreseeable future and with Point taking over and pushing Johnson down the depth chart his 5M cap hit might be high for his role. Spit balling but Johnson+Sergachev for Trouba+Copp with additions likely on either side for Balance.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Not saying that I think a Trouba deal is likely, but another advantage to TB to wait until the summer to discuss trading for Trouba is that it would allow TB to negotiate an extension as well.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tend to agree on this one though I have to wonder if the trade could be more than just Trouba and Copp would be the piece replacing Johnson on the 3rd line at 1/5th the cost and is more suited for that role and is very good friends with Trouba. It makes sense CAP wise down the road as well as TBL will be a CAP team for the foreseeable future and with Point taking over and pushing Johnson down the depth chart his 5M cap hit might be high for his role. Spit balling but Johnson+Sergachev for Trouba+Copp with additions likely on either side for Balance.

While this deal has the value right I’m just not sure if SY would pull the trigger on something like that. Sergachev is a guy who is cost controlled now and is currently playing his role very well in the top 4. Dotchin already has chemistry with Hedman. The D is set. We really don’t need to change it. I think SY would think this as well. However I agree about Johnson. We will eventually trade him I think. He was beat out by Point and he will be getting paid soon too. This is why I’m thinking that SY will only do a trade around Johnson. We have a lot of really solid prospects coming in as well. I think Johnson, prospects and a 1st or 2nd round picks will be added if he comes to TB. I really don’t see SY wanting to part with Sergachev. I’ve been wrong before though.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
This doesn't really pertain to this trade per se and is more of a general question, but I have seen people say they want to trade Johnson before his NMC kicks in at the end of the year. When exactly is that? Like the day the SCF ends, the day of the draft, the day next season starts, or what?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
This doesn't really pertain to this trade per se and is more of a general question, but I have seen people say they want to trade Johnson before his NMC kicks in at the end of the year. When exactly is that? Like the day the SCF ends, the day of the draft, the day next season starts, or what?
On July 1st, 2018.

Reactions: Everblades13

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Not saying that I think a Trouba deal is likely, but another advantage to TB to wait until the summer to discuss trading for Trouba is that it would allow TB to negotiate an extension as well.
They could negotiate an extension with him today if he were their property.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The terminology of top 6 and bottom 6 is becoming antiquated. The difference from the #2 to #3 lines on a lot of teams now is minimal. You need to roll 4 lines these days if you are going to be successful.

Buff is more of a #2 pairing D man now. Maurice loves him, and he likes his vets. He's better off as a #3 IMO. Sort of like Dion Phaneuf is now too in Ottawa. Regardless, if you watched him in the Cup finals the first time the Hawks won the cup under the Toews era, it was the most impactful I have seen him play.

He was so impactful that cup run as a power winger. I know it was awhile ago, but here is a reminder in case you forgot. Net presence, and big goals. We are only speculating but if TB added this type of presence for their fwd group. Oh my, they would be scary good and they are terrific already.

I'm so used to the Jets announcers saying Dustin Byfuglien to the point that I forget he was a Hawk (I do remember of course).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm so used to the Jets announcers saying Dustin Byfuglien to the point that I forget he was a Hawk (I do remember of course).

I really think he would bring a big presence to the Bolts top 9. A 6'5 250lbs winger that can play a physical style with net presence would make an already formidable team, even more so. Also he can drop back on D if the Bolts need it. One could only imagine a pairing of 6'7 Hedman and 6'5 Buff. lol

It was just an idea I had, for I have no idea what Yzerman would be looking for from the Jets line up. I mean do you go in person to scout Lowry, Petan, Matthius, or Copp? To me it seems if a guy in his position is going to scout, I would have to think he is looking at options that are bigger. This was my initial thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->