Rumor: Yzerman scouting Jets

• Thread starter Deleted member 218451
  • Start date

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Plus minus in this context in relation to his teammates is not a flawed stat. People just keep saying this, but it is actually an indicator of GA60 and GF60 even strength stats which are very good stats I hear. When you are a -7 on a +25 team with this context, it does tell a clearer picture. Do you think Stevie wants to get away from Johnson and his 7 year contract? What do you guys thing of adding Myers as an upgrade to Dotchin,

If Brayden Point continues this play, and is the 2C moving forward, then yeah think Yzerman might do something down the road. Right now, don't think so. But I think @DFC was saying something like, may be looked at in the off season if he continues to struggle, and Point continues to grow.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Brayden Point continues this play, and is the 2C moving forward, then yeah think Yzerman might do something down the road. Right now, don't think so. But I think @DFC was saying something like, may be looked at in the off season if he continues to struggle, and Point continues to grow.

I like Point. I think he's going to be fine. I can see why Winnipeg may have some interest in Johnson, but I just don't see a fit with both teams. Unless the deal is for 2 struggling Centers being moved Little for Johnson. Both signed to similar deals, separated by 2 years in age. Maybe a deal that will help both players get out of their funks. Not even sure if they would agree but all that we can do now is wonder why Stevie Y is scouting the Jets?

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Yzerman's trades wind up fair for both sides more often than anyone gets screwed over, Bishop-for-Conacher notwithstanding.

DET trades 1st round pick (turns into Andrei Vasilevskiy) to Tampa Bay for Kyle Quincey.. cringe.. I know that's not a direct trade but SY won this one pretty biggly.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I like Point. I think he's going to be fine. I can see why Winnipeg may have some interest in Johnson, but I just don't see a fit with both teams. Unless the deal is for 2 struggling Centers being moved Little for Johnson. Both signed to similar deals, separated by 2 years in age. Maybe a deal that will help both players get out of their funks. Not even sure if they would agree but all that we can do now is wonder why Stevie Y is scouting the Jets?

Not a lot of reason for TB to do that. The reason to move Johnson is he makes a lot of money and is unlikely to win his old spot back from Point, making him a 3C. This is great for us this year, but, moving forward, the contract is going to be an issue.

I think Yzerman is undoubtedly scouting your bottom-six forwards. We could use one.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
DET trades 1st round pick (turns into Andrei Vasilevskiy) to Tampa Bay for Kyle Quincey.. cringe.. I know that's not a direct trade but SY won this one pretty biggly.

Yeah, but that's more a credit to Yzerman's drafting than his trading. TB hits its share of homeruns with draft picks, so Yzerman, especially in the rebuilding phase, loaded up on them. Detroit, at the time, was handing out draft picks like Halloween candy.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Hard to say if Johnson is the target. My guess is it will be a big package. Likely include Foote and your 2018 1st and probably a few add-ons from there.
Salary would have to be coming back.. Bolts have no room. Foote 2018 1st and Johnson maybe?

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If we trade Johnson our biggest need is a high end 3C. I'm fairly certain we are only looking at moving picks, prospects, or under performing salary (Callahan). Maybe sell high on a player like Gourde ... similar to what we did with Conacher a few years back.
The difference is Gourde is good on D/PK, while Conacher is not.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How's Johnson played? Not from a stats view point. But from an eye stand point. What is the cause for his lowish stats this year. I am curious?

He has been asked to be our shutdown center which he isn't really suited for. His a good two way player but not good trying to shut someone down, he's much better in an offensive role. Problem is Point has been money since he came up and isn't a shutdown center either. Johnson is still scoring at an ok clip, so if he can still get 50 points while allowing Point and Stamkos to get easier matchups we'll be fine. 5mil for a 3C is a bit much but most 3C don't put up 50 points.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He has been asked to be our shutdown center which he isn't really suited for. His a good two way player but not good trying to shut someone down, he's much better in an offensive role. Problem is Point has been money since he came up and isn't a shutdown center either. Johnson is still scoring at an ok clip, so if he can still get 50 points while allowing Point and Stamkos to get easier matchups we'll be fine. 5mil for a 3C is a bit much but most 3C don't put up 50 points.
Sounds to me it will be inevitable Johnson is moved. A 5M per #3C who is being asked to play a role he is not accustomed to, is going to be a problem. I can see from Johnson's point of view pun unintended, Point succeeding only lessens his role on the team. He may welcome a trade where he is going to play with Laine, Ehlers, Wheeler, or Connor.

Who would be the #3C on TB if Johnson is moved? Are there viable options organizational wise. Would TB be interested in Myers? Or even Buff if the cap can be reworked via retention and losing Johnson's salary?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I will say this. No one has probably even thought of this. But maybe Stevie Y has. Let me be the 1st to float the idea. Johnson for Buff.

Jets would have to take back salary to make it work. But a trade for Buff makes sense as not a D man. But a Winger. Where he would bring a very unique and intimidating skill set.

IMO he is far more impactful as a winger than a D man. Something he already has done with Chicago on their cup team.​

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sounds to me it will be inevitable Johnson is moved. A 5M per #3C who is being asked to play a role he is not accustomed to, is going to be a problem. I can see from Johnson's point of view pun unintended, Point succeeding only lessens his role on the team. He may welcome a trade where he is going to play with Laine, Ehlers, Wheeler, or Connor.

Who would be the #3C on TB if Johnson is moved? Are there viable options organizational wise. Would TB be interested in Myers? Or even Buff if the cap can be reworked via retention and losing Johnson's salary?

Moving Johnson right now wouldn't work. Moving him, and replacing him, in the off-season is an option.

I think Steve Yzerman loooooves having center depth. So I think there's no way Johnson gets moved in-season. But in the off-season, Yzerman might bow to financial realities.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
I will say this. No one has probably even thought of this. But maybe Stevie Y has. Let me be the 1st to float the idea. Johnson for Buff.

Jets would have to take back salary to make it work. But a trade for Buff makes sense as not a D man. But a Winger. Where he would bring a very unique and intimidating skill set.

IMO he is far more impactful as a winger than a D man. Something he already has done with Chicago on their cup team.​

I don't see Buff waiving his NMC to play wing on TB.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Rotating Right Wingers is probably one of the biggest things with Johnson. His favorite partner has been taken from him (Palat) ... just a matter of time before he gets used to his new role and finds chemistry with rotating linemates.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005

Zero chance. Buff is the Jets anchor on defence as long as his ice time is reasonably controlled. He wouldn't be traded for a third line center.
Totally disagree with your assessment of him as a winger as well.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

If we had a better 4C we could use them as our shutdown line but we don't so Johnson has to do it. We don't have a 4C we can move up or anybody ready in the minors to be a 3C, so we need Johnson at least the rest of this year. Hopefully Cirelli can develop into one and Howden is in junior looking like a 2C or elite 3C.

As for defenders we sure could use someone like Myers or Buff as we need a bit more offense from the backend but neither makes sense due to contracts. We can't afford either unless you want Callahan which you don't and he won't waive anyway. So don't see a way to make it work.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't see Buff waiving his NMC to play wing on TB.
I don't know. American born player that no doubts likes Winnipeg moving to a contender and back to his home country in a sunny climate. I don't think he would balk at it. If presented the idea. Regardless, I think with a large fwd in Boyle gone. Yzerman may want to fill that with a winger with size. Buff when he was a winger was in Chicago was very good. Something to ponder.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I don't know. American born player that no doubts likes Winnipeg moving to a contender and back to his home country in a sunny climate. I don't think he would balk at it. If presented the idea. Regardless, I think with a large fwd in Boyle gone. Yzerman may want to fill that with a winger with size. Buff when he was a winger was in Chicago was very good. Something to ponder.

He's from Roseau MN though. About 2 hours from Winnipeg. He's basically playing at home.
Maybe something around Lowry for Johnson?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Zero chance. Buff is the Jets anchor on defence as long as his ice time is reasonably controlled. He wouldn't be traded for a third line center.
Totally disagree with your assessment of him as a winger as well.

I am going to disagree with this. Late last season when the Jets were out of it, and they ran off 7 wins to finish the season. Morrisey and Trouba became the #1 pairing for the Jets. I think that succession plan on D has well been started by the Jets. Also getting Myers back and adding Kulikov the Jets are pretty solid on D at the moment.

I am not a Jets fan per say, but I do follow them since Laine is a player I like to watch. And some Jets fans I have noticed are not too crazy about Buff at times. He is not always the most intelligent player on D to say it politely. I think he would make a great #3 Winger on a contender. As he was on the Blackhawks cup team.

He is also a guy that has a very unique set of talents. He's not a goon, but he can handle himself. On a team like TB with skilled players this is an element they do not have. Pens went out and got Reeves. A big body that can play, and also protect. It adds an element to an already stacked team. You can say from TB's point of view, the only missing link to having a team that has no weaknesses is this element if a team wants to target their skill players, I can certainly see some fits here. The big stumbling block is 3 more years at 7M+.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I am going to disagree with this. Late last season when the Jets were out of it, and they ran off 7 wins to finish the season. Morrisey and Trouba became the #1 pairing for the Jets. I think that succession plan on D has well been started by the Jets. Also getting Myers back and adding Kulikov the Jets are pretty solid on D at the moment.

The move is on slowly to add to Morrissey and Trouba's ice time and anoint them the number one pair, but it hasn't happened yet. Buff still plays 2 mins more per game than Trouba and 6 more than Morrissey. He also has more points and a better plus minus than Trouba. Buff is the Jets number one defenceman.

I am not a Jets fan per say, but I do follow them since Laine is a player I like to watch. And some Jets fans I have noticed are not too crazy about Buff at times. He is not always the most intelligent player on D to say it politely. I think he would make a great #3 Winger on a contender. As he was on the Blackhawks cup team. He is also a guy that has a very unique set of talents. He's not a goon, but he can handle himself. On a team like TB with skilled players this is an element they do not have. Pens went out and got Reeves. A big body that can play, and also protect. It adds an element to an already stacked team. You can say from TB's point of view, the only missing link to having a team that has no weaknesses is this element if a team wants to target their skill players, I can certainly see some fits here. The big stumbling block is 3 more years at 7M+.

Buff can be an enigma, but most of his mistakes come from too much ice time. They've limited him to 24 mins (last year he played 27) and the mistakes have gone way down. I don't see the rationale for taking a solid number one defenceman and turning him into a third line forward.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The move is on slowly to add to Morrissey and Trouba's ice time and anoint them the number one pair, but it hasn't happened yet. Buff still plays 2 mins more per game than Trouba and 6 more than Morrissey. He also has more points and a better plus minus than Trouba. Buff is the Jets number one defenceman.

Buff can be an enigma, but most of his mistakes come from too much ice time. They've limited him to 24 mins (last year he played 27) and the mistakes have gone way down. I don't see the rationale for taking a solid number one defenceman and turning him into a third line forward.

The terminology of top 6 and bottom 6 is becoming antiquated. The difference from the #2 to #3 lines on a lot of teams now is minimal. You need to roll 4 lines these days if you are going to be successful.

Buff is more of a #2 pairing D man now. Maurice loves him, and he likes his vets. He's better off as a #3 IMO. Sort of like Dion Phaneuf is now too in Ottawa. Regardless, if you watched him in the Cup finals the first time the Hawks won the cup under the Toews era, it was the most impactful I have seen him play.

He was so impactful that cup run as a power winger. I know it was awhile ago, but here is a reminder in case you forgot. Net presence, and big goals. We are only speculating but if TB added this type of presence for their fwd group. Oh my, they would be scary good and they are terrific already.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
The terminology of top 6 and bottom 6 is becoming antiquated. The difference from the #2 to #3 lines on a lot of teams now is minimal. You need to roll 4 lines these days if you are going to be successful.

Buff is more of a #2 pairing D man now. Maurice loves him, and he likes his vets. He's better off as a #3 IMO. Sort of like Dion Phaneuf is now too in Ottawa. Regardless, if you watched him in the Cup finals the first time the Hawks won the cup under the Toews era, it was the most impactful I have seen him play.

He was so impactful that cup run as a power winger. I know it was awhile ago, but here is a reminder in case you forgot. Net presence, and big goals.

Buff plays the most minutes on the Jets and has looked really good this year IMO. The lesson to me is to limit his minutes to around 22-24 and he limits the boneheaded plays.

I understand, he was great in that cup run. I can also, however show you some games where he was a phenom as a defenceman.

I guess all I'm saying is that a number one defenceman certainly carries more value than a third line winger in the trade market and his value is far greater than Tyler Johnson.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Did Steve Mason work the games that Yzerman attended? Maybe Lightning were looking at Mason ... as his stats have not been stellar and the Jets may have looked at moving him and give the keys to the car to Hellebuck. Now that we have just acquired Domingue ... makes sense that he may have just been scouting backup goaltenders that may have been available. Mason makes way too much money though ... so maybe that was the biggest turnoff.

Fishy

May 14, 2016
Winterpeg

I am not a Jets fan per say, but I do follow them since Laine is a player I like to watch. And some Jets fans I have noticed are not too crazy about Buff at times. He is not always the most intelligent player on D to say it politely. I think he would make a great #3 Winger on a contender. As he was on the Blackhawks cup team.

He is also a guy that has a very unique set of talents. He's not a goon, but he can handle himself. On a team like TB with skilled players this is an element they do not have. Pens went out and got Reeves. A big body that can play, and also protect. It adds an element to an already stacked team. You can say from TB's point of view, the only missing link to having a team that has no weaknesses is this element if a team wants to target their skill players, I can certainly see some fits here. The big stumbling block is 3 more years at 7M+.

As much as I would like to see a trade involving Buff, there is no way that he will waive his NMC if he thought he was going to be used as a winger: every time he has been moved up front, he has done nothing but complain how much he hates it. And a miserable Buff is not someone you want on your team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad