Rumor: Yzerman scouting Jets

• Thread starter Deleted member 218451
  • Start date

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Cool. I was thinking Kucherov for Hendricks + Dano + Copp + 1st + Matthias

I can beat that easily, Witkowski, Jensen, Ouellet, Mrazek, 2018 3rd, 2019 6th, 2019 7th 2020 4th 2021 5th, Kronwall, Abdelkader for Ehlers and Trouba.

Reactions: Jets

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I like how these threads ignore the fact that there are 29 other teams in the league that would trade for Trouba.
The Jets management has already shown their resolve to keep Trouba.

Moving Trouba at this exact moment when his first 16 games have been only average is the absolute worst action they could take. The sentiment of "get it over with" is the kind of mentality that would get a GM fired very quickly in the NHL.

It's hard to see any trade happening.
The Jets love their players and are setting things up to replace from within.
The cost to acquire a player like Trouba is way too much to just trade him away for a package of perceived value.

Unless Stevie Y wants pressbox fodder or AHL players I'd be shocked to see a trade in season.

Reactions: Hunter368

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The return for Kane was really good, Myers is playing and Bogo is not, even if you consider that a wash the deal stands as Kane for Armia, Roslovic and Brendan Lemieux.

Pretty debatable if you could have scored a better return than that.

As for Trouba, he clearly gets along better with his mates than Kane ever did and he has not come out this year playing like he did at the end of last year, he has been pretty ordinary actually.

Wait until he improves and teams are more desperate.

Unless there is some smoke to the OEL stuff, I would wait...

You left out Stafford who massively outproduced what Kane was bringing to the table that year.
He was one of the best forwards in that playoff year.
Also we traded a guy who was out for the season... let's not forget that.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
If the rumors about Trouba wanting to come to Florida are legit and the Jets know that they aren't going to be able to keep him, then I could see something around TyJo, Koekkoek and a 1st for Trouba, but definitely not until the offseason. Both of our teams are good, so no reason to wildly shake things up now.

Either that or a small move like the Koekkoek + 2nd or 3rd for Armia that I mentioned earlier.

Reactions: libertarian

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Would kind of make sense if a deal around him and Myers were to happen. Both are overpaid, in the $5m range, injury prone, but solid when healthy.

I like to imagine another megadeal if Chevy truly believes he won't be able to lock down Trouba...

Trouba, Myers, Petan(?) for
Sergachev, Foote, Johnson, Koekkoek?

TBL:
-Top-pairing dman for Hedman
-Solid 2nd pairing dman
-Cheap replacement at 3C
Jets:
-Blue-chip/roster dman
-Promising young dman
-Solid 3C, bump down Lowry to 4C
-Another depth dman

Nah. As tough as it is to find someone who clicks with Hedman, I can't see us blowing things up to this degree when what we have now works fine.

Maybe things will change, but as of now, Trouba doesn't really fill a team need. As good as he may be. So I doubt there's a deal to be made if it has to be this complex to make it happen.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
This trade makes the most sense to me. A blockbuster trade involving major pieces on both the Jets and the Bolts when both teams are playing well just does not make sense right now.
Sounds reasonable for me too. I just wonder how Yzerman sees Tampa's window. In no way is it going to close anytime soon, that is for certain. What I am after is whether he sees a division between the Bolts of the next two years, during which Kucherov and Point play for pennies, and the years after their extensions, which will limit the financial wiggle room they'll have. If Yzerman wants to really stack the roster, he would be wise to do it now, for his team is unlikely to ever be better than it is now. But, as always, there are much more to it than just being good this year, or even the next year.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Trouba is a nice upgrade, but it doesn't make sense to dump the assets for him when we have a similar player type in Dotchin making nothing for the foreseeable future.

Our expendable assets are the redundant youth and picks highlighted by Howden and Hajek.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I would have very little appetite dealing with Yzerman, he is too good a judge of players to win a trade. The most you can expect is to break even. So if you are confident you can make a deal that will help both teams. You make it. But Yzerman is not going to lose a deal in value. Too sharp, and too good a hockey exec.

There seems to be this weird perception that Yzerman is some kind of trade guru.

That really isn' backed by his trade history. He's done well in a number of deals but he doesn't come out like a bandit like some perceive.

History of hockey trades by general manager Steve Yzerman - NHL Trade Tracker

Don't get me wrong he's one of the best executives in the league but his team success is largely based around drafting/developing and retention then it is on his ability to fleece teams through trades.

I see little evidence of it.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Sounds reasonable for me too. I just wonder how Yzerman sees Tampa's window. In no way is it going to close anytime soon, that is for certain. What I am after is whether he sees a division between the Bolts of the next two years, during which Kucherov and Point play for pennies, and the years after their extensions, which will limit the financial wiggle room they'll have. If Yzerman wants to really stack the roster, he would be wise to do it now, for his team is unlikely to ever be better than it is now. But, as always, there are much more to it than just being good this year, or even the next year.

This is not the best team the Lightning are going to field. Our top 6 forwards are largely locked in. But our bottom 4 forwards will see a huge upgrade. Brown / Kunitz / Callahan / Paquette / Dumont will be replaced by Stephens / Erne / Howden / Katchouk / Cirelli / Raddysh ... the current version of the Lightning will be better ... and very, very soon. Same with the defense ... Sergachev will only get better as will Vasilevskiy. Dotchin will be replaced by Foote. Girardi will be replaced by Cernak. We have a stocked pipeline ... and cheap and BETTER replacements are largely on their way. People think the Lightning are stacked now ... wait a couple of more years and you'll see a whole other level.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
This is not the best team the Lightning are going to field. Our top 6 forwards are largely locked in. But our bottom 4 forwards will see a huge upgrade. Brown / Kunitz / Callahan / Paquette / Dumont will be replaced by Stephens / Erne / Howden / Katchouk / Cirelli / Raddysh ... the current version of the Lightning will be better ... and very, very soon. Same with the defense ... Sergachev will only get better as will Vasilevskiy. Dotchin will be replaced by Foote. Girardi will be replaced by Cernak. We have a stocked pipeline ... and cheap and BETTER replacements are largely on their way. People think the Lightning are stacked now ... wait a couple of more years and you'll see a whole other level.
And Trouba could make this even better tbh. But we don't really NEED him. He would be a luxury.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Cool. Give me the realistic version of your team's future, and then I'll chime in.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This trade makes the most sense to me. A blockbuster trade involving major pieces on both the Jets and the Bolts when both teams are playing well just does not make sense right now.

How does this make sense for Tampa? Koekkoek is out scoring Armia this year in less games while being a defender yet you want us to add a 2nd on top of him? I wouldn't trade a 2nd alone for Armia. He's got some potential still but is 24 and hasn't shown enough to be anything more than a bottom 6 player. We have plenty of guys who can PK just as good too. A straight swap is the only thing that makes sense.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
And Trouba could make this even better tbh. But we don't really NEED him. He would be a luxury.

I don't think Jets fans have to worry about us getting Trouba. The Lightning don't have to make a move now. I don't expect us to do much trade wise. Maybe deadline. Still a lot of hockey to be played. If we need a D come deadline then maybe it happens. At this point doesn't look likely.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There seems to be this weird perception that Yzerman is some kind of trade guru.

That really isn' backed by his trade history. He's done well in a number of deals but he doesn't come out like a bandit like some perceive.

History of hockey trades by general manager Steve Yzerman - NHL Trade Tracker

Don't get me wrong he's one of the best executives in the league but his team success is largely based around drafting/developing and retention then it is on his ability to fleece teams through trades.

I see little evidence of it.

His strength is player evaluations. He will rarely make a bad call on a player. I think the latest example we see this in is obviously the Sergachev for Drouin trade with still a possible 2nd rder coming back from Montreal. I wouldn't call him a guy that fleeces teams in trades, but he will get back value and in some times better value for players he deals. The deal above was brilliant as it also got rid of a headache of salary cap implications.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
His strength is player evaluations. He will rarely make a bad call on a player. I think the latest example we see this in is obviously the Sergachev for Drouin trade with still a possible 2nd rder coming back from Montreal. I wouldn't call him a guy that fleeces teams in trades, but he will get back value and in some times better value for players he deals. The deal above was brilliant as it also got rid of a headache of salary cap implications.

Sure he will generally get back value but so to does Chevy when making deals. If Chevy and Yzerman do end up making a big splash i feel that it will be mutually beneficial to both orgs.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Wouldn't trade Koekkoek either. We only have Masin behind him ... and the rest are in Juniors. We have more LD able to play RD than RD able to play LD. We have a surplus of prospects, draft picks, and RHD.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think the obvious move here may be TB is looking to unload Tyler Johnson now that Point has effectively taken over the 2nd C spot. Johnson is signed to 7 years at 5M as a #3C. Jets need a #2C with Little struggling. Myers, Little, Trouba. I look at TB's roster what does Yzerman want to upgrade? It's pretty good already. Bottom 6 winger?

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
How does this make sense for Tampa? Koekkoek is out scoring Armia this year in less games while being a defender yet you want us to add a 2nd on top of him? I wouldn't trade a 2nd alone for Armia. He's got some potential still but is 24 and hasn't shown enough to be anything more than a bottom 6 player. We have plenty of guys who can PK just as good too. A straight swap is the only thing that makes sense.

I was commenting that if there is a trade between the Bolts and the Jets that it would most likely be for non-core players then for core players. I really wasn't commenting on the actual proposal. I should of been clearer about that.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I think the obvious move here may be TB is looking to unload Tyler Johnson now that Point has effectively taken over the 2nd C spot. Johnson is signed to 7 years at 5M as a #3C. Jets need a #2C with Little struggling. Myers, Little, Trouba. I look at TB's roster what does Yzerman want to upgrade? It's pretty good already. Bottom 6 winger?

If we trade Johnson our biggest need is a high end 3C. I'm fairly certain we are only looking at moving picks, prospects, or under performing salary (Callahan). Maybe sell high on a player like Gourde ... similar to what we did with Conacher a few years back.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If we trade Johnson our biggest need is a high end 3C. I'm fairly certain we are only looking at moving picks, prospects, or under performing salary (Callahan). Maybe sell high on a player like Gourde ... similar to what we did with Conacher a few years back.

How's Johnson played? Not from a stats view point. But from an eye stand point. What is the cause for his lowish stats this year. I am curious?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How's Johnson played? Not from a stats view point. But from an eye stand point. What is the cause for his lowish stats this year. I am curious?

Not too good. He can't seem to mesh with anyone, except when he gets shifts with Kucherov. Johnson is a team worse -7, and for a team with a +25 Goal differential that is not good. I know +/- is flawed but it has been pretty solid with the telling tale of his season. Tampa has 3 lines that have worked very well in their roles, 2 lines who have been red hot in scoring, a solid shutdown line, then there is Killorn and Johnson, who get the double shifted forwards revolving on their RW, which have include, Point, Kucherov, Kunitz, Callahan, Brown, Stamkos, and etc..

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not too good. He can't seem to mesh with anyone, except when he gets shifts with Kucherov. Johnson is a team worse -7, and for a team with a +25 Goal differential that is not good. I know +/- is flawed but it has been pretty solid with the telling tale of his season. Tampa has 3 lines that have worked very well in their roles, 2 lines who have been red hot in scoring, a solid shutdown line, then there is Killorn and Johnson, who get the double shifted forwards revolving on their RW, which have include, Point, Kucherov, Kunitz, Callahan, Brown, Stamkos, and etc..

Plus minus in this context in relation to his teammates is not a flawed stat. People just keep saying this, but it is actually an indicator of GA60 and GF60 even strength stats which are very good stats I hear. When you are a -7 on a +25 team with this context, it does tell a clearer picture. Do you think Stevie wants to get away from Johnson and his 7 year contract? What do you guys thing of adding Myers as an upgrade to Dotchin,

Reactions: Bodi Finds the Fire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad