News Article: Yzerman re-ups for 4 years in Tampa

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
yeah pretty much what I was expecting to happen,people who honestly thought he was gonna leave Tampa and come back here in the near future were just [mod: wishfully thinking].

Last edited by a moderator:

BamaWing

May 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=448619

4 more years, in addition to the 1 remaining. So he's in Tampa for 5 years. I know some around here were keen on him coming back to Detroit. I don't see it happening for a long time, even beyond the 5 years.
Even at that though, I don't see Holland leaving for at least 5 years. WHEN Holland does step down, there will be a number of GM's very interested in the job.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Deserves a lot of credit for Palat (7th round), Tyler Johnson (undrafted), and stealing Kucherov in the 2nd.

Also got Conacher for nothing them traded him for an upgrade in net, and stole a 1st rounder from Detroit.

Not perfect, but I think Stevie's done a nice job. Glad that team's doing well this year.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Deserves a lot of credit for Palat (7th round), Tyler Johnson (undrafted), and stealing Kucherov in the 2nd.

Also got Conacher for nothing them traded him for an upgrade in net, and stole a 1st rounder from Detroit.

Not perfect, but I think Stevie's done a nice job. Glad that team's doing well this year.

Oh, right. I forgot that Yzerman didn't give up anything for that trade. ;)

People shouldn't be shocked he was re-signed. The team has done relatively well since he has taken the helm.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
When he left, Stevie said he was only planning to move once. He had no intentions of any move simply being a short apprenticeship before coming back.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Tampa was in the conference finals in his first season, and two years later they nabbed a lottery pick. He's probably turning into a good GM eventually, but I don't know he's done that much to suggest he's a great one right now.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
People have to start dismissing the notion that Yzerman was going to come crawling back to Detroit to GM just because he played with the organization for so long.

I'll say this for the umpteenth time; Yzerman would be a fool to leave Stamkos and Tampa Bay. No sane person would. Not even for Detroit. Stamkos is that good.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
What's with the idea that ken holland is even going anywhere any time soon anyway? As bad as anyone wants him to, he isn't.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Tampa was in the conference finals in his first season, and two years later they nabbed a lottery pick. He's probably turning into a good GM eventually, but I don't know he's done that much to suggest he's a great one right now.

Yea this love affair with yzerman and him somehow being a better gm than holland after only a few seasons is pretty hilarious

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

He's made some damn good moves, even when being faced with problems like Marty being a little *****. Tampa has a pretty good pipeline, they've done well this season even without their best player for significant stretches.

I think he's shown himself to be quite capable. They haven't even used that lottery pick for their team. They kept Drouin down, gave him some time to develop. It's not like they picked Mackinnon who's running away with the Calder trophy this year.

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007
Good for Stevie, really happy to see this. For him, and for the Wings. I sincerely hope he doesn't come to Detroit in the future, for several reasons.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

I remember Jimmy Devellano saying it would take him a few years to build the roster and prospect pool to make Tampa a strong hockey team. There's every reason to believe he's done exactly that and is positioning the Bolts for long-term success. The most important thing is they finally have good ownership and I imagine the owner will take a hands off approach and let Yzerman do his thing.

I couldn't be happier for Stevie.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Steve Yzerman is a great GM, and just cause. "I told ya so." Steve is extremely loyal, he wasn't coming back. People were delusional who thought otherwise.

He's really done a lot to that organization, he's completely meta-morphed the culture of the organization from top to bottom. He's completely restocked the cupboard of prospects, and he's made the team a designation for UFA's. In addition to all this, he's incredibly patient with prospects. Also. Dat Bishop trade. He's a great GM.

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
What's with the idea that ken holland is even going anywhere any time soon anyway? As bad as anyone wants him to, he isn't.

Correct.

Besides, if the Wings are going to ditch Holland, I would rather it be for a superior GM. Why downgrade? I think that Yzerman has been good for Tampa Bay, but he hasn't been an upgrade over Kenny.

Still, Yzerman has done a great job in Tampa Bay.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Yzerman signing a 4 year deal in Tampa isn't the end of the world for Detroit. Why would Holland walk away right now? He is in the midst of rebuilding this club for another decade of success. As much as the fans here may disagree with Holland, I don't think there is a single GM in professional sports with the job security this guy has, and rightfully so. He's here until he walks away, or until he completely collapses the team. I love Stevie as much as the next guy, and he'll have his chance someday if he wants it. I don't think it would have been in the next 5 years.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
When he left, Stevie said he was only planning to move once. He had no intentions of any move simply being a short apprenticeship before coming back.

Yeah but a part of why this angle persists is the fact Yzerman never moved his family. Now a large part of that is schools since his kids go to Cranbrook. However, he and his wife have not sold their Michigan home and do in fact spend a ton of time still in the Detroit area.

I do think he stays with Tampa, just understand that is a huge part of where that angle comes from. Holland has to have legitimate interest in stepping down before we ever get a true feel of if he would listen to our approach, heck if Vinik would even allow him to.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I feel like Yzerman has done a great job. I never really understood the early Yzerman haters, that seems to have mostly died off now that he has a bit of a track record. The guy just wins at every level of hockey he has ever played, no reason to assume he couldn't build a contendor. Not sure if his Brett Connolly pick will turn out, which is too bad since it was his one of their highest picks so far but he could still be a late bloomer. I think he overpaid for Matt Carle but he is contributing so its not like a KFQ situation.

I like what he is doing with the team, its similar to the wing's system of of finding that tallent in unforseen places. As some of Yzerman's picks and singings get a few more years under they're belt I think they will be a fantastic team for a long stretch. Especailly once Drouin arrives

I don't see the stars aligning for Yzerman to step in as Detroit GM. Its Holland's job to give up and it would have to be done at a time where Yzerman would coincidentally be available. Just seems unlikely although it would be cool.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yzerman clearly wants to build his own legacy, not live in the shadow of his former glory days. If I were him, I'd do the same thing.

Also, I don't know if any of you have been to the Tampa rink (which is pretty nice!), but I went to a game there in February in a t-shirt. Detroit has it's, eh... charms? But I can certainly see the appeal of the sunbelt teams.

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
Yzerman clearly wants to build his own legacy, not live in the shadow of his former glory days. If I were him, I'd do the same thing.

Also, I don't know if any of you have been to the Tampa rink (which is pretty nice!), but I went to a game there in February in a t-shirt. Detroit has it's, eh... charms? But I can certainly see the appeal of the sunbelt teams.

That is a beautiful rink. I have went there at least a dozen times, from their years as an expansion team, to the year they won the cup, and most recently in November 2013.

One thing I can definitely say is that when the team was going through hard times as an expansion franchise, that team was having a problem giving away tickets. If you went to a game, you were going with all knowledgeable hockey fans. It was great to talk hockey with these people. They knew that their team wasn't that good, but they really loved the sport and appreciated the hard work the management and team did on the ice.

When the team got good, the corporations bought tickets and then an influx of bandwagon fans came in. I would say that some of the qualities I appreciated about going to a game were pretty much eliminated. Trying to talk with fans about the game of hockey were tougher to do as many didn't know the rules. Most just *****ed about the team, management, refs, or other things. The only thing that many people didn't complain about was Steve Yzerman. Apparently most of the fans and non-fans of hockey have a lot of respect for him.

The last time I was there, I actually met Phil Esposito who works for the Lightning. I met him just walking around the arena about 45 minutes before game time. Anyway, we had a nice 5 minute conversation about Ferris State Hockey (I was wearing the jersey) and the Lightning. He said that Steve Yzerman was a great GM and he was glad that they have him. Not only in his GM abilities, but the way he talks with the players. He takes time to talk to the players and gets to know them, and the players have respect for him just purely off his reputation in the NHL. You can't put a price tag on that.

Sorry to talk about this story at length. I just found it very interesting to hear that. I am glad that Stevie has found a home in Tampa Bay. I am not convinced that he is better than Holland, and I don't think he is an upgrade over Holland. At the same time, he is writing his own story in Tampa Bay.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
That is a beautiful rink. I have went there at least a dozen times, from their years as an expansion team, to the year they won the cup, and most recently in November 2013.

One thing I can definitely say is that when the team was going through hard times as an expansion franchise, that team was having a problem giving away tickets. If you went to a game, you were going with all knowledgeable hockey fans. It was great to talk hockey with these people. They knew that their team wasn't that good, but they really loved the sport and appreciated the hard work the management and team did on the ice.

When the team got good, the corporations bought tickets and then an influx of bandwagon fans came in. I would say that some of the qualities I appreciated about going to a game were pretty much eliminated. Trying to talk with fans about the game of hockey were tougher to do as many didn't know the rules. Most just *****ed about the team, management, refs, or other things. The only thing that many people didn't complain about was Steve Yzerman. Apparently most of the fans and non-fans of hockey have a lot of respect for him.

The last time I was there, I actually met Phil Esposito who works for the Lightning. I met him just walking around the arena about 45 minutes before game time. Anyway, we had a nice 5 minute conversation about Ferris State Hockey (I was wearing the jersey) and the Lightning. He said that Steve Yzerman was a great GM and he was glad that they have him. Not only in his GM abilities, but the way he talks with the players. He takes time to talk to the players and gets to know them, and the players have respect for him just purely off his reputation in the NHL. You can't put a price tag on that.

Sorry to talk about this story at length. I just found it very interesting to hear that. I am glad that Stevie has found a home in Tampa Bay. I am not convinced that he is better than Holland, and I don't think he is an upgrade over Holland. At the same time, he is writing his own story in Tampa Bay.

Great to hear you talk about it at length.
Thats what this board is for. Feel free to talk hockey with us! :P

Billmitch

Apr 14, 2012
Yzerman signing a 4 year deal in Tampa isn't the end of the world forDetroit. Why would Holland walk away right now? He is in the midst of rebuilding this club for another decade of success. As much as the fans here may disagree with
Holland, I don't think there is a single GM in professional sports with the job security this guy has, and rightfully so. He's here until he walks away, or until he completely collapses the team. I love Stevie as much as the next guy, and he'll have his chance someday if he wants it. I don't think it would have been in the next 5 years.

I have been pissed at Holland most of the year, thinking itmwas time for him to go, however despite the fact some of his free agent signings have been dog poop, the injury situation thismyear forced us to play the kids and if you look at this team he has done an outstanding job of drafting.

And honestly that's how you have success in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->