Yzerman and a possible cap loophole ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

southwing

Mar 5, 2003
Moose's Armpit, Sk
Visit site
Yzerman is an UFA. For obvious PR reasons the Wings don't want to low ball hm and they also don't want his salary to take up too much cap space. So what do you do? You hire him as an assistant coach for any number you want. Say $2 m. It doesn't affect the cap at all. But then, say around Christmas with half the season gone, you bring him back to the ice as a player coach ... out of retirement as it were. His salary from that point forward (about $1 m.) would count against the cap but the earlier portion wouldn't. So you load up the contract out of respect for who he is and you don't cripple your cap problems. And for next year, when you presume he will not play, you are not left with a problem of getting back under the cap.

If I can come up with this, and it works (not sure that it will but it's certainly interesting) imagine what a lawyer or two will come up with.

southwing,
... still praying that the Wings get a top ten pick in the draft lottery

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
I would think that somewhere in that 600 page document there are provisions to prevent just this sort of nonsense.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
southwing said:
southwing,
... still praying that the Wings get a top ten pick in the draft lottery
Just curious, I know it's off topic but do you honestly think the Wings deservere anything greater than the 25th pick or so? Not flaming here, just asking.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
southwing said:
If I can come up with this, and it works (not sure that it will but it's certainly interesting) imagine what a lawyer or two will come up with.
Yeah, I imagine they came up with it too... sometime during the last few months. It's probably addressed somewhere in that CBA thingy.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
HockeyCritter said:
I would think that somewhere in that 600 page document there are provisions to prevent just this sort of nonsense.
Agreed! With how the owners got their asses handed to them in the last CBA, because of loopholes, I would guess the owners would have had their lawyers try and come up with as many ways to circumvent the cap as possible and write it into the new agreement. No doubt the agents will find something to use to their advantage, but I don't think it will be substantial.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
The fact that lawyers from both sides review, revised, and review again a 600-page document (that's more than 4x the length of any other sport) would lead me to believe that every loophole has been explored and closed and that the language governing salary, revenue, trades, call-ups, contracts, injuries, and the lot is very, very specific.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
HockeyCritter said:
The fact that lawyers from both sides review, revised, and review again a 600-page document (that's more than 4x the length of any other sport) would lead me to believe that every loophole has been explored and closed and that the language governing salary, revenue, trades, call-ups, contracts, injuries, and the lot is very, very specific.

So if Detroit has a 'fan appreciation' program where someone from the stands gets to suit up with the team for home games, and that person just happens to be Yzerman every single night, he won't be able to play? :sarcasm:

notice the smily

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
luongofan said:
Just curious, I know it's off topic but do you honestly think the Wings deservere anything greater than the 25th pick or so? Not flaming here, just asking.

I'm not a wings fan, but why wouldn't they "deserve" anything greater than the 25th pick? Its about what the rules allow you to do. If the wings get a top ten pick, then they get a top ten pick. Whether they "deserve" it for not being a suck-ass team is irrelevent.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
ti-vite said:
So if Detroit has a 'fan appreciation' program where someone from the stands gets to suit up with the team for home games, and that person just happens to be Yzerman every single night, he won't be able to play? :sarcasm:

notice the smily

I'll give you points for creativity . . . . . . :)

But seriously – anything we mere mortal fans can think of, I’m pretty certain those lawyers with all those fancy degrees have already thought of it and dismissed it.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
HockeyCritter said:
I don't know about the Yzerman scenario but if it's one thing I can guarantee you it's that every loop hole has not been closed!

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Sinurgy said:
I don't know about the Yzerman scenario but if it's one thing I can guarantee you it's that every loop hole has not been closed!
Maybe not "every" loophole, but one would think that it will be extremely difficult to find a workaround to circumvent the cap.

Ron C.

Sponsor
Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
I believe this scenario has already been discussed. One item reportedly in the new CBA prevents players from receiving additional compensation from any affiliated sources. This prevents teams from allowing sponsors to give endorsement money to a player in exchange for reduced advertizing costs. I'm sure if this is addressed, additional payment from teams are also addressed.

southwing

Mar 5, 2003
Moose's Armpit, Sk
Visit site
That's why it's called a lottery

shakes said:
I'm not a wings fan, but why wouldn't they "deserve" anything greater than the 25th pick? Its about what the rules allow you to do. If the wings get a top ten pick, then they get a top ten pick. Whether they "deserve" it for not being a suck-ass team is irrelevent.

You are absolutely correct. If Bubba in a double wide trailer in Georgia wins the Power Ball and the next time it's some middle class, middle management woman at Price Waterhouse, it makes no difference. Niether of them deserve it. Its the luck of the draw.

So ... you can't pray for good luck!? Well I do because I am a Wing's fan. :sarcasm:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Folks, come on. They have caps in other sports. Why don't they have so many fans coming up with these ridiculous situations?

KL*

luongofan said:

Avs fan here. For the good of the league, yes, the Wings deserve better than the 25th pick. They should have as much chance at Crosby as anyone else.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
On the OP, I dont see this as being a loophole. If the Wings want to pay Yzerman $1 million to coach half a year, and $1 million to play half a year, then I dont see the problem with the scenario. It isnt like the Wings are paying Yzerman $2 million to play the entire season, but only having half that amount count against the cap.

Phanuthier*

Puckhead said:
Agreed! With how the owners got their asses handed to them in the last CBA, because of loopholes, I would guess the owners would have had their lawyers try and come up with as many ways to circumvent the cap as possible and write it into the new agreement. No doubt the agents will find something to use to their advantage, but I don't think it will be substantial.
Not to mention the NHL hired the most expensive law firm in the world.

Can you say "heafty fine" ?

Not to mention, all transactions have to go through the NHL office. Any sort of Pejorative Slured attempt by any team can be rejected by the NHL (ie. Toronto offering Iginla $500k and a country)

PredFred

Jun 26, 2005
Over Yonder
The more obvious question here is that if Yzerman is willing to take a 2 million dollar paycheck at all, why wouldn't he just take two million and play? Thats relative peanuts in this environment capped or not. 2 million isn't going to break the bank and if your THAT close to the cap, you're probably not going to give him 1 million either. Just my opinion.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Another genius thread claiming loophole... :shakehead

Folks, when you actually have a chance to read the CBA you can play lawyer/agent wannabe. :help:

Even then, I'm sure a majority of the CBA will be above many people's heads on this board. ;)

But then, we will have the thread: "anyone have any info on the GM CBA tutorial" :biglaugh:

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
A good contract is a "good understanding". 600 pages has to help define more precisely what the meaning and intent of the agreement is which improves the "understanding". However, a lot of language can also produce unforeseen contradictions or issues. So it won't be bulletproof.

As well, Lamouriello (sp?) was apparently the only GM directly involved. Smart guy but in the heat of discussions, they can’t think of everything especially with such a complicated deal.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Resolute said:
On the OP, I dont see this as being a loophole. If the Wings want to pay Yzerman $1 million to coach half a year, and $1 million to play half a year, then I dont see the problem with the scenario. It isnt like the Wings are paying Yzerman $2 million to play the entire season, but only having half that amount count against the cap.

But if there was any implicit or explicit agreement between Yzerman and the Wings beforehand it would be a loophole and probably covered and closed by the 600 pages.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
cleduc said:
A good contract is a "good understanding". 600 pages has to help define more precisely what the meaning and intent of the agreement is which improves the "understanding". However, a lot of language can also produce unforeseen contradictions or issues. So it won't be bulletproof.

As well, Lamouriello (sp?) was apparently the only GM directly involved. Smart guy but in the heat of discussions, they can’t think of everything especially with such a complicated deal.
It wasn't the heat of discussion ------ it was a long, drawn out, carefully planned process.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
luongofan said:

I don't, and I'm a huge Wings fan. Then again, Idon't believe anyone "deserves" a certain pick. I do wish they'd completly cut out teams (from picking first) that had picked 1-3 in the last 3 years, Or won the Cup in the last five, or made the conference finals twice in the last two, or had 3 seasons of 98 points plus in the last 4 years.
I think that would have been more 'fair'. I mean, the Pens have what, 3 balls? They already have Malkin and they could get Crosby. Bah.
I just stick with praying he doesn't go to any team I really hate.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Resolute said:

Yeah, but thats half a season he wouldn't play. I think if they went , oh, 1 mil this year, 4 mill next year whether or not he plays would be more likely and more kosher (Kocur? :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad