Yuri Terao & Yushiroh Hirano

YashinWorksHard

Jun 14, 2012

savepercentage

Oct 13, 2015
Wrong Island, N.Y.
They're point-per-game players in a relatively low-scoring league, so that's pretty good, although they were probably expected to produce this much as overagers. I don't think they're eligible for NCAA play because of their pro experience in the Asia League (Terao) and Sweden (Hirano). I could be wrong on that, however.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Hirano didn't really stand out in last night's game vs. the U18 NTDP -- but then again, the entire Youngstown team did very little vs. the U.S. squad in the game.

Radagast

Mar 3, 2014
They arguably are the top prospects to come out of Japanese hockey. Judging by numbers, it looks like they are doing pretty well (they are both 20, though). How are they playing? Are they pursuing a career in the NCAA? I do not know nothing about the USHL so i am not sure if their PPG average is a big deal and if they can earn big time NCAA offers.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=244495

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=42643

I am very curious whether they could play NCAA, they both have had signed contracts with the ASIA league and that is pro hockey. The CIS may not consider the Asia League as pro hockey and will treat players coming out of it no differently than coming out of junior. But the NCAA may have a broader definition. Especially, with Terao who has already cashed paycheques from Nikko.

Freddee

Mar 16, 2016
I am very curious whether they could play NCAA, they both have had signed contracts with the ASIA league and that is pro hockey. The CIS may not consider the Asia League as pro hockey and will treat players coming out of it no differently than coming out of junior. But the NCAA may have a broader definition. Especially, with Terao who has already cashed paycheques from Nikko.

I think you're only considered a pro over her if you've played pro here. The Asian leagues don't really count as pro I don't think.

Last edited:

Sharoun

Feb 21, 2017
I think you're only considered a pro over her if you've played pro here. The Asian leagues don't really count as pro I don't think.

Last edited:

kij

Jan 31, 2016

If you've been paid to play at any point you are a pro to the NCAA and ineligible

sytheman

Mar 8, 2017
Seoul, Korea
Though Asia League is not officially recognized as a professional game here in Korea (not sure how either Japan or China treats it but I am sure they would do similar with the Koreans), all players associated with Korean clubs have full-time contract with their respective clubs and get paid in accordance with what the contract says. NCAA would not let those who have experience in playing in the league play.

In officially recognized games such as baseball and soccer, players are classified as independent businessmen per local tax regulation while hockey players are income earners as the clubs are not independent business entities but a department of a certain company.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->