Youth movement underway for New Jersey Devils

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The New Jersey Devils have always relied on a core of hardened veterans to see them through. But change is in the air as those experienced players enter the twilight of their careers, while a new generation of Devils players come of age.

The youth movement will start on defense, with some of the organizations top prospects ready to show they can make the jump from the minors to the NHL. Further down the pipeline there are many up-and-comers who are rounding out their game at the junior and amateur levels.

Pro

Top Pro Prospect
Jon Merrill, D, Albany Devils (AHL)

It has been a wild journey for Merrill.… read more

More...

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim
Merrill 'is a favorite to claim a spot on the Devils blue line'? As much as I wish this were true, the Devils already have enough vets to fill the lineup and there's really no room for him. Salvador, Volchenkov, Greene, Zidlicky, Fayne, Harrold, and Larsson make up seven spots, and Merrill will still have to battle Gelinas for a spot. Unless Lou unloads one or two of the first seven names, I don't see either Merrill or Gelinas making the team.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Merrill 'is a favorite to claim a spot on the Devils blue line'? As much as I wish this were true, the Devils already have enough vets to fill the lineup and there's really no room for him. Salvador, Volchenkov, Greene, Zidlicky, Fayne, Harrold, and Larsson make up seven spots, and Merrill will still have to battle Gelinas for a spot. Unless Lou unloads one or two of the first seven names, I don't see either Merrill or Gelinas making the team.

Yeah, not only is there not room but everything I've seen makes me think Gelinas and Urbom are both ahead of him in their development. Merrill has missed half the season two years in a row and that's in college. How is he supposed to jump right into the NHL after that? He's a great prospect but he's gonna take some time.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I wish severson could play in the ahl this year since he really has nothing left to prove in juniors.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
Barring injury, there's one open spot on the roster and it's contested between a 27 year old and a 29 year old, so it has little effect on average age.

Their projected roster has an average age north of 30 no matter which of Brunner/Gionta gets the open roster spot

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Gelinas is far more likely to make the team than Merrill, and even Urbom is as well since he brings strong defensive skills. Merrill has a lot of upside and is going to be a very good defenseman, but chances of him making the team are pretty slim I'd say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad